• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonball Evolution

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
I remember the interview with Akira Toriyama sometime ago. And, oh boy, deep inside he wants to go Super Saiyan 3.

They better not make a Hollywood movie version of Bleach nor Naruto. Aaargh! The horror i can imagine. Anime hyper
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
To people trying to justify their optimism, may it rest in peace:

You were right to make a point of saying that no one could know what the quality of the film would be. To actually do that one has to see the film in question; end of discussion.

On the other hand, dissenters who looked at the growing amount of evidence associated with the project (including a compelling mark of approval from Toriyama) and came to the conclusion that this was something that had almost everything going against it's success were also right.

Dragonball isn't Little Red Riding Hood or Jack and The Beanstalk; it's the product of a very particular man's imagination and his imagination in particular is very peculiar. I am neither impressed (nor surprised, groan) that in attempting to create a live action adaption of his work he was not more significantly involved. I wonder if anyone who understood what needed to be done was involved. I think that alone was reason enough to approach this with some apprehension; those who wanted to believe otherwise were only doing just that.

Well kinda in the vein of Robo-cop and The League of Extraordinary Gentleman the original creators/writers don't really have a lot of control in what happens in a movie, unless they are a co-director, like say Sin City.

Last edited by LordRedhand on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Now I wonder if someone could compare it with Dragonball: The Magic Begins. Cool

It was a bad idea 20 years ago as a low budget Chinese film and its a bad idea now as a big budget American film. But at least 20 years ago it was still current.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
samuelp wrote:

May I ask which theater you saw it in (I presume you're here for TAF?)

I caught the 2pm show at the Shinegawa Prince Cinema just outside the JR train station there. Notably, the ticket was 18 bucks. Technically I paid more to see Dragonball Evolution than I've ever paid to see any movie ever.

Oh man, don't go to the Prince! You'd get a better deal in Roppongi then there, and it'd be cleaner to boot!

Telling tidbit about how well they think this would do in Japan:
I saw a ton of posters for the movie around town the past month, except upon closer inspections they were not actually advertising posters, they were public service announcement posters modified from a movie poster telling us to make sure to check that you have fire alarms properly installed!
Actual movie posters or ads were few and fare between. I saw ONE in shinkuku station. That's it. Compared to the advertising that, say, Batman gets, it was pitiful. Even Speed Racer got a much bigger advertising push in Tokyo.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Now I wonder if someone could compare it with Dragonball: The Magic Begins. Cool

It's curious that The magic begins, an unoficial live action, looked more like the anime than DB Evolution.

I know is imposible to make a faithful adaptation of the DB into a live action movie but at least the director could try. It would be something like this or like this. Instead, he make a generic martial arts movie for kids.
ParaParaJMo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I like to know how this compared to Legend of Chun Li, a movie that I felt made Catwoman and any Uwe Boll movie looks good.

As for fans prejudging it, I feel it's no different on how people were hyping Dark Knight to be the best Batman movie ever before it came out, and how people were embracing Robert Downey, Jr as Iron Man, especially as Tony Stark. And I thought Dark Knight was great and Robert Downey, Jr. was born to play Tony Stark Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I figured something hilarious like this would happen, just figured I'd hear it once it came out over here. I have not yet seen any commercials for this yet, and if the review says anything, I'm not going to.

Although I remember the Blood Rayne movie having commercials after its own commercials, but on the day it came out, absolutely nothing ever again. I predict likewise. It's never a good sign whenever the fan are right about anything.

Tell me, was this better or worse than the fanmade version from...what year was it? It had a man wearing black body makeup and a fake pig snout. And the title had magic in it. Been so long.
THE MAGIC BEGINS! Now I remember. Thanks.

What's a teaster?
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling this will most likely get locked eventually, so before that does actually happen I'll say this.

This movie was bound to fail, this baffles my mind why Fox even bothered to even do this. I can't imagine this makinig a ton of revenue, because in the words of Zac basically everything was wrong.

Instead of ruining more classic masterpiece anime, Fox should both have the director appolgize for the movie's horrriableness and should concentrate on other projects. They've already ruined Dragon Ball, Astro Boy and soon Cowboy Bebop, this cycle needs to end.

What is next? A Naruto live action movie? But let me tell everyone, I predicted this movie would be horriable, much like everyone else. You couldn't get me to watch this movie even if this event was free.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
samuelp wrote:

May I ask which theater you saw it in (I presume you're here for TAF?)

I caught the 2pm show at the Shinegawa Prince Cinema just outside the JR train station there. Notably, the ticket was 18 bucks. Technically I paid more to see Dragonball Evolution than I've ever paid to see any movie ever.

*plays tiny violin of sorrow*

I'm sooooooooo sorry. Sad

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Instead of ruining more classic masterpiece anime, Fox should both have the director appolgize for the movie's horrriableness and should concentrate on other projects. They've already ruined Dragon Ball, Astro Boy and soon Cowboy Bebop, this cycle needs to end.

Um...Astro Boy and Cowboy Bebop have NOT been released yet. They may not suck. I thought the trailer for Astro Boy was kinda cute. Anime smile I could tell from the trailer for Dragon Ball that its balls were inert, though. Laughing I was just hoping it would be a "this is bad yet fun" inert, and the end result appears to be just painful instead, as evidenced by Yamcha's barf-worthy line that sounds like a 7th grader wrote it. (Or the writers on a Will Ferrell "comedy.")

I can't really fling poo at Fox per se. They have fathoms less budget to make films than most other A-list companies, I think they're really B-list by this point if you wanted to break it down and examine, but whatever. The cast and crew makes a LOT of difference, not necessarily the studio. Studios like Universal or Columbia might have access to more talent or more experienced talent than Warner Bros. or Fox, but good and bad can and do come from both, so look at the DIRECTOR, the WRITER, and the CAST first and foremost before ya fling poo. Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk not only came from the same studio, but are linked at the hip for a collaboration feature in a couple years. That's pretty closely related, but the difference between the films as far as being "good movies" is pretty wide. (Iron Man being fantastic, The Incredible Hulk being average/extremely forgettable.)

That being said, Astro Boy looks like it could be a really enjoyable family film. Cowboy Bebop is too lax on info to drop the hammer yet, but the name of Keanu Reeves is a very scary harbinger. (At least their choice for how to approach the plot seemed intelligent.)
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
Seriously, thanks for saving me the time and money of seeking this movie out. I was skeptical from the moment I read Toriyama's reaction, but I wasn't going to judge anything until the actual product came out.

That being said, I am going to go out on a limb and say right now that I still have tentative hopes for Cowboy Bebop. Why? Reeves is a fan of it, so he'll at LEAST try to stay true to the source material.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I don't even know why you guys are taking this review so literally. Personally, I've found many of the reviews posted here to be biased and unjustified and I never leave my opinions on whether I want to see a movie or not by reviewers who seem to be along the lines of professional movie critics who are paid to either see their film or to trash the competitors film.

I think you guys should reserve judgment and base your decision on whether or not to go and see it until you've heard from other fans who have seen the movie. Talk to your friends, or people in your neighborhood who have seen it. Or check out reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

If I based my decision on what a reviewer has said as the basis for never going to see a movie, I would never watch another movie again.

Matrix, Indepedence Day, Iron Man, ... even many, about 95% of my 600 anime DVD collection has been slammed or criticized by ANN for poorly conceived shows ... this is why I never listen to reviews on ANN or other such sites. At most, they make for an entertaining read and a good laugh.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
^Wong and Chow both said they've read Toriyama's manga in the past. And according to Zac that worked out splendidly. Hell, apparently everyone on the cast read Toriyama's manga at one point.

And honestly, considering how negative this review, I just can't believe it. I find it funny how Zac said how it turned out how fans expected it, yeah if the only fans you knew were haters. Optimists were still very much "This movie won't be worse then any Uwe Boll film" and from what I've seen, it isn't. There is no "my boobs have problems" Tara Reid, there isn't Christian Slater giving his career a drive into a brick wall. And unlike his films, this franchise can survive this, and if it is indeed as bad as you say it is then there should be a reboot in the next 6-10 years.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
I didn't read anything in Zac's review that convinced me the movie was bad. Rather, it simply sounds as though they decided their target audience was about five to eight years old. It's kind of an understandable mistake. The beginning of the manga looks like it's for kids, after all. But let's not be like those critical people who see something for kids and call it bad because it's simply not aimed at the critic's age group.

As far as how the plot points are strung together with no clear motives... how is that different from the manga? It was always a case of, "I'm bad and I want to destroy stuff." "Well, I'm good and uh.... PUNCH TO THE FACE!" I mean, I was a fan of DBZ when I first got into animé, and I still like it (and the early Dragon Ball, too), but let's admit it, it didn't have much depth for Fox to mine in making this movie. So who is really to blame for a shallow story?

I also fail to be outraged by the changes, most of which seem to be an effort to make things work better in live-action. Sure, I would have preferred that they stayed closer to the story, esp. keeping Goku out of HS, but complaining about cosmetic stuff (I don't care what color anything is or how much makeup they're wearing) is totally irrelevant.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
OUCH! Little harsh Zac? Wink

Seriously though, thanks for the review. I had planned to see this in theaters even though I was expecting to be terrible, I think I'll make fun of it on DVD instead. I really hope Cowboy Bebop is decent, but my hopes aren't high. At least there's still Battle Angel.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Exactly what I was hoping for! If it was possible for me to be more excited for this I would be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17