• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Tail of Two Nanas

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
mmh, I think that was explained last time already? The short stories only exist because of the move to a new magazine, which took 4 months. During that time the main story could not progress, since the magazine it was running it didn't exist anymore oO;; And volume 15, the newest one right now, contains only main story and it continues that way for now (in the magazine chapters).

Quote:
it looks like Yagi-sensei is still fishing for ideas in this volume

It maybe looks like it, but it's not the case. But well, you'll see. I also thought the Agatha-Arc was too long and not very interesting, but it's just in order to link the past with the present.

Yagi knows very well what he is doing. Actually in this volume (or the next one?) he gets back to something from volume 2! It seemd so illogical at that point and now he explained it. That shows that he knows exactly where his story is going.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
As I mentioned in the SB thread, this was my last dalliance with Nana. Would've stayed on w/ it, but Yazawa likes to pad the story out so much, you wonder why she didn't have a career as a shonen
writer. Rolling Eyes But this series actually has the opposite problem of Paradise Kiss. It drags out the annoying behaviors of the characters over time, in order to avoid conflict, while the latter manga thrives on conflict by emphasizing the obnoxious personalities of the characters. That's how she was able to fool me on Nana for so long, even though I hated her work on PK.
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
I love Yoshihiro Tatsumi's works. I still remember the chills when I first read The Pushman. I've been meaning to read the later two volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Interesting selection of reviews this time around. I'm working my way through vol. 2 of Oishinbo currently. I sort of think the point of the story is more of educating the reader about sake as opposed to having a plot that pulls you in.

Quote:
Now excuse me while I hand this one a B and go shopping for some Junmai Daiginjo

Cool, just make sure you bring plenty of money. Good sake is not cheap! Shocked Smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Oishinbo really does sound like a fascinating series. Definitely another to check out.

And yes, Nana is definitely longer than it had to be, though I wonder how much of that is because of how successful it became. I still enjoy it, but I definitely will be glad to see things get wrapped up.
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
Yes! Finally more Scott Pilgrim!
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Claymore has been some sort of a guilty pleasure for me. Compared to how I was quite desperate to know what will happen next while I was reading the volumes prior to the time jump, I'm currently quite disappointed with the latest chapters of the series.

Unless what's currently happening is building up to something major, the manga-ka indeed seems like he's going in circles. I hope it will get better soon.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I've read the Garuna Island arc of Fairy Tail but from what I remembered, it was pretty over the top fun. Smile

And I think Gray's past was more cut out for fanservice than anything else. Sadly, Mashima just isn't that good when it comes to doing tragic pasts for his characters. They all wind up looking stale and something we've seen a bajillion times. Confused

Anywho, the next story arc is my favorite out of the whole series so far. Just wait till you get to it. Wink
lys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Yay Kiersten Hay! Nice show of support for your favourite unfortunately-dropped-title (although I'm pretty sure the official status is that it's on "hiatus"... either way, it's sad!)

I bought all 6 available volumes of Nosatsu Junkie recently (I really think part of TP's problem is there were just SO many series—I picked up and really enjoyed at least two "dropped/hiatused" titles after they were "dropped," simply because I never knew they existed until a few months ago). While it didn't immediately turn into my favourite series ever (I already have too many of those!), I did like it a lot—really fun characters, interesting relationships, entertaining humour and a great sense of fashion. I hope it does get picked up again!! (plus, volume 6 really ended in the most frustrating spot possible! (but don't let that discourage you from reading it yourselves...!))
mad_yeti
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Aaah! <3

Thank you for promoting more of the awesomely awesome Scott Pilgrim! I keep forgetting to go out and pick up the latest one. Everyone! If you haven't read it yet, you should!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1