• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Yamato Anime to Open in Japanese Theaters in 2009

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
I CAN'T WAIT! I love Yamato and Leiji Matsumoto works! I just hope this isn't a flop as it is a very popular series in Japan and Italy (etc ...)

A daughter? Well I hope she turns out to be quite the character as most daughters seem to ... be really annoying ^^;
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The transport fleet is attacked, and the Yamato leads the counterstrike.

It sounds vaguely like Macross Frontier. Still, I am looking forward to it.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
Count me in as one who can't wait! Star Blazers was my first anime love! It probably will never happen, but I would love a bilingual release of the original series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
so three hundred million people set forth into space as part of an emigration operation.

Can I also expect love triangle, music, and transforming mecha?

Really, I finished the Farewell Yamato movie and I think it was a perfect (badass/manly tears) end.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
One of the best news that i have heard for a very long time !!! The legendary series will returns and as a sequel not fluffy new one....thank god !

I wonder if they'll cast Kouchi Yamdera to play Susumu Kodai since he took over the character from the late Kei Tomiyama in all the Yamato video games. And maybe i am asking for too much, but i hope that Isao Sasaki will provide at least a song for this movie.

Speaking of Yamato, I have wondering to get the Dai Yamato set (R2) but i don't know how good is the show given that it's only 5 OVAs eps. Any thoughts ? Confused
Kaiser Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Dai Yamato is basically terrible. It's on the same level as Yamato 2520, not awesome.

The plot for this new movie seems to be a reworking of the third and final TV series, "The Bolar Wars". I'm glad to see they are using this plot as it had a lot of potential but didn't live up to it (Where as Iscandar is considered classic, and Comet Empire is considered the best, Bolar Wars is largely ignored by fans).

Of course, if this is just a movie, that might not solve the problem, as I think a lot of the reason that the Bolar Wars wasn't top notch was that it suffered a massive cut in planned episodes, so a lot of the story was rushed, and huge plot archs dropped entirely.

Then again, "Farewell to Yamato, in the Name of Love" is a condensed retelling of The Comet Empire, and ranks as one of the most beautiful and amazing movies out there, so there is a good chance that this too will be fantastic.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been burned so many times on this thing happening/not happening, you'll forgive me if I'll believe it when I see it. Sad

I hope it's good, but I'm assuming this is being done without Matsumoto, so that's a strike against it.

In addition to Kei Tomiyama, I believe the original music composer has passed away as well. I don't think it will be the same without his funky tracks.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
I CAN'T WAIT! I love Yamato and Leiji Matsumoto works
This new movie has nothing to do with Matsumoto. Or rather, the only thing it may have in common is that the long-running rights dispute between Nishizaki and Matsumoto will probably scupper this project like it has every previous one.
Quote:
Dai Yamato is basically terrible. It's on the same level as Yamato 2520, not awesome.
At least it looked nice, thanks to Syd Mead.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I hope this project captures the magic of the Original Yamato projects

Fallen Wings wrote:

A daughter? Well I hope she turns out to be quite the character as most daughters seem to ... be really annoying ^^;

Seem that deleted scene in Final Yamato beared fruit. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Without Leiji Matsumoto, I predict failure. Nishizaki hasn't done a single thing of note without Matsumoto, except be arrested for weapons charges. It's true that Matsumoto's lone projects vary, but at least he's done things of note without Nishizaki. Yamato without Matsumoto just isn't Yamato. Nishizaki should have begged him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaiser Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I heard they were working together on this one, but I don't have any facts to back that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1