• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Posts 2 Yu-Gi-Oh! Episodes in Raw Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Also a good part of dialogue is rewritten in the english versions amongst the edits. Notications of killing or dying is rewritten. "See these bombs we planted on the roof? When they explode they'll send you the the Shadow Realm! 'Wait won't we just fall to are deaths if you do that?' 'No! They'll send you to the shadow realm!" Fights, assassination attempts and moments of perversion that involve the man characters are edited out. And even instants of the card creatures being destroyed are edited since some are stabbed, impaled, eaten, or show suffering a bit too much. As well as main characters suffering in the Shadow Games.

Also 4kids needs a new Yugioh and they are trying their best to survive until then. Yugioh itself is losing steam since GX started. Pokemon belongs to CN now, One Piece didn't do so hot state side and that also belongs to CN now, and Dinosaur King ain't doing it for them. Their putting their bets on Chaotic for now but 4kids really needs that next big thing and are hoping Chaotic and the Kamen Rider Series will be it. Although not a fan of their editing I understand why and in a historical standpoint they were the one of the first who got anime into the eye of the public on a mainsteam level. In the end I see them as a nessacary evil and hope they pull through these hard times.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:

Is that a trick we have to learn from watching Excel Saga?

No that is the trick when we press a button on the floor to have someone fall though a trap door.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

I still wonder why they're doing this though. A thank you to the fans who had supported this series since the early 00's? Economic problems leading them to cater to the fanbase? Confused

I'm not quite sure. Apparently it was hinted a month or so ago about them doing this. They mentioned something was in the works when someone asked about why the uncuts were stopped. Al Kahn also recently mentioned that there are some non-tv properties in the works, which makes me wonder if he means shows through internet distrobution or a new toyline or product. Could this be it...?

Quote:
I hope the Japanese Kinnikuman Nisei and Shaman King get uploaded in the near future. It would be nice to see how they are.

Apparently Shaman King and Ultimate Muscles rights have both expired. So it's unlikely these two will occur. At this point, 4Kids only has a handful of anime shows left. Sonic X, Dinosaur King, Ojamajo Doremi, Kirby, Yugioh, Yugioh GX, and Yugioh 5D's seem to be the ones they still have rights to, outside maybe a few others.

So who knows what'll be released through this service. Myself? I'm actually hoping for Sonic X. I've wanted to actually see a legit release of the second series (53-78) of the shows in Stereo Japanese. Reason is that there's almost no way to do so, outside tracking down the Taiwan VCD set (which has only a mono track and is hard subbed). This is because Japan never released these in any form (TV, Video, Digital Media, nothing).

There were also many things that bugged me about the dub. The voices, music (though these are the typical 4Kids edits), ridiculous edits, violence, removal of death (Maria's, Molly's, partically covering almost all of it up in the second series), the inconsistancies with the original game source, and the removal of the game music (Live & Learn and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 music). I should also mention the very last episode of Sonic X got completely cut up (roughly 6 minutes worth of footage was removed and the entire episode was rearranged).

And I went into a rant. I realize this isn't a 4Kids rant thread and I didn't try to. I was just trying to vocalize my opinion why I want this. ^^''

In any case, I do hope any titles that were affected by 4Kids that they still have that people enjoy do get released through this. I do hope 4Kids does clear up what exactly is going on with this, because I am hoping they plan to do more than just Yugioh through this service (and with subtitles for the Japanese impaired).
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
What could possibly have been cut from a show about children playing a card game?

Oh, you'll get the details from the fanboys, I expect- guns airbrushed out, cheesy 007 deathtraps re-classed as cheesy magical prisons, chicks given some sensible clothes, the occassional problem with the Japanese just not understanding crucifixions are offensive, etc. It was really a quite brilliant move on 4Kids' part, though they may not have known it- they removed just enough of the juvenile BS their 13-year-old fanbase goes gaga over to convince them that they also removed the quality, when they really just failed to remove the suck. Hence the series remained popular for quite some time, and its' increasingly obvious flaws got blamed on 4Kids.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
cardcaptor_yue wrote:
has everyone forgotten that funimation and 4kids tried to release uncut dvds and no one bought them? only 3 discs were released of season 1 it featured a completely uncensored closer to japanese dub, and the origonal japanese version subtitled. So for those who would be willing to pay anything for them there is a chance to buy them, heck my family video was selling a copy of 1 for like 5 bucks.

The reason nobody bought them was because they were dubtitled, which really gave little reason for there to be Japanese audio on the things in the first place (Or so the argument was, I'd snatch them up for a decent price, if anything just to replace the horribly translated bootlegs I got oh so many years ago).

But really, what's this with putting up the original Japanese without subtitles? Didn't 4kids learn from the DVD set release that most of us really can't speak Japanese? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
But really, what's this with putting up the original Japanese without subtitles? Didn't 4kids learn from the DVD set release that most of us really can't speak Japanese? Rolling Eyes

lol It's their snarky response, saying, "Fine! We'll give you uncut episodes as they originally were! Take this!"

Or they're trying to use YouTube's subtitling features and either forgot to enable them or don't have them ready...

Last edited by Asrialys on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
conankudo4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
cardcaptor_yue wrote:
has everyone forgotten that funimation and 4kids tried to release uncut dvds and no one bought them? only 3 discs were released of season 1 it featured a completely uncensored closer to japanese dub, and the origonal japanese version subtitled. So for those who would be willing to pay anything for them there is a chance to buy them, heck my family video was selling a copy of 1 for like 5 bucks.

That was a Funi-4K combo that broke right after it started.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
cardcaptor_yue wrote:

Wrong.
I pre-ordered those dvds. They were issued 2 per month along with uncut Shaman King. We got all of 2 Shaman King uncut & 3 YuGiOh uncut before they were "put on hold" & finally cancelled. That means they were put on hold after about 6 weeks before the 4th dvd could be released. They sat in my order bin until I finally told Right Stuf 2 yrs later I'd seen an article they had been cancelled. The company apparently never told TRSI anything past the product being on hold because I have had TRSI cancel stuff when the manufacturer has told them of this (most recently last night I note a DMP title I ordered about a month ago has been cancelled)

In fact, it WAS NOT that they didn't sell well. About the time the uncut dvds were cancelled came the comment from 4Kids that sales of the edited dub-only took a dive after the announcement of the uncut release which suggests 4Kids had this fantasy that people would continue to buy the cut up version along with the uncut version.
Maybe now they're losing money, they'll at least release subtitled uncut of both YuGiOh & Shaman King. I don't see them paying to re-dub them as they had been back then.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Precis wrote:
Saw this earlier today, wondering what it means for the future of the show.

OHGODPLEASELETTHEREBEUNCUTDVDSI'LLPAYWHATEVERRIDICULOUSPRICEYOUWANT. D=

penguintruth wrote:
What could possibly have been cut from a show about children playing a card game?

Comparisons of JP/ENG versions of the DM series --> http://www.yu-jyo.net/index.php
And a similar site for 5D's comparisons (although it's not quite up-to-date) --> http://gymleaderlance99.110mb.com/

Unfortunately there is no such site with GX comparisons. Pity, since dub!GX has some hilarious dialogue/plot edits. D:

Thank you for those.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:38 am Reply with quote
4Kids replies to the subtitles and region-lock issues:

Quote:

Hey Yu-Gi-Oh! Fans. thanks for the comments. Obviously we're testing NEW things on YouTube and elsewhere. More episodes are coming...today. ENJOY!

There were some huge hurdles overcome to get this done. Subtitles are an obvious & might come down the road. We felt it was more important to get these out now. Additionally, due to rights issues around the world, we have to restrict most videos to US visitors. This will broaden out a bit on a brand and country basis in the coming weeks. Sorry but that's just the reality of rights online right now - hence YouTube took down all music videos in the UK last week.

And save your time saying we suck, burn in hell, etc., etc. Life's too short. If you must RANT, etc. feel free by copying this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+can+i+complain+about+4kids%3F and pasting it into your browser. Or you can even post a response video on YouTube! You know who 4Kids is, we've heard all the super negative stuff before so its pointless to continue PLUS we moderate...That said, we do like hearing from you and your comments rock so keep them coming. SUBSCRIBE TO US AND ADD US A FRIEND! thanks.

Last edited by D Dubbs on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
EDIT: DDubbs beat me to it. =P

Anyways, this does explain a couple things. Hopefully once everythings settled, we'll see subtitles and what not. I wonder though... What do they mean by elsewhere...?

I do still love that URL. Trolling the people who basically flame them in and out. Also seeing them say "burn in hell" is just hilarious.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit.

Too bad there are no subtitles, but it's definitely understandable. They're not selling DVDs or doing anything else with the Japanese version of the show (i.e. there's no need to promote it), so them uploading it now was probably just more of a "hey, since we're uploading shows anyway, why not just shove the Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh! up there at the same time?" thing than anything else.

But I'm still perfectly fine with that. This is pure fan service that doesn't require much work on their part, but still, I'm so perfectly fine with this. Especially since I can understand what's going on with my decent understanding of the language and simply because I already know the Yu-Gi-Oh! story in general. Cool

This really is exciting. Very Happy

Oh, by the way, this first opening of Duel Monsters is really so damn good and blood-pumping. Oh, and wow, they even kept the sponsors screen after the opening. Hooray for 100% accuracy!

Oh, and the commercial break screens are there, too!

And the sponsors screen after the ending!

Gah, 4Kids is awesome!

Hm, and the "Turn down the lights" YouTube feature that 4Kids uses on its episodes is sufficiently nice, too. Heheh. Smile

Oh, and the "jikai otanoshimi ni" thing is there at the end, too. So cool...

D Dubbs wrote:
4Kids replies to the subtitles and region-lock issues:

Quote:

Hey Yu-Gi-Oh! Fans. thanks for the comments. Obviously we're testing NEW things on YouTube and elsewhere. More episodes are coming...today. ENJOY!

There were some huge hurdles overcome to get this done. Subtitles are an obvious & might come down the road. We felt it was more important to get these out now. Additionally, due to rights issues around the world, we have to restrict most videos to US visitors. This will broaden out a bit on a brand and country basis in the coming weeks. Sorry but that's just the reality of rights online right now - hence YouTube took down all music videos in the UK last week.

And save your time saying we suck, burn in hell, etc., etc. Life's too short. If you must RANT, etc. feel free by copying this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+can+i+complain+about+4kids%3F and pasting it into your browser. Or you can even post a response video on YouTube! You know who 4Kids is, we've heard all the super negative stuff before so its pointless to continue PLUS we moderate...That said, we do like hearing from you and your comments rock so keep them coming. SUBSCRIBE TO US AND ADD US A FRIEND! thanks.

Whoa, where'd you read that?

Last edited by Josh7289 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

Whoa, where'd you read that?

It's on their Youtube page in the comments section.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, nice. I love this part especially:
Quote:
And save your time saying we suck, burn in hell, etc., etc. Life's too short. If you must RANT, etc. feel free by copying this link: [Please use direct URLs]/avzhfy" target="_blank" class="postlink -wrap" rel="nofollow ugc">http://">[Please use direct URLs]/avzhfy and pasting it into your browser.

Nice sense of humor. (and yes, life is short, and there's not much of a reason to rant against them anymore anyway, so stop doing it, people -- although parodies like TAS are still great Razz) Oh, and the fact that they used "burn in hell"... that speaks for itself.

Really, 4Kids just suddenly became so much more "human" and just generally better in my opinion with these videos, and with those comments they posted. Awesome. Cool

EDIT: ANN seems to have messed up the URL in that quote, but you can get a link to it at the 4Kids YouTube channel page, or right above me in D Dubbs' post.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
no subs = epic fail. YGO season 0 FTW! Best season there was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6