• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Posts 2 Yu-Gi-Oh! Episodes in Raw Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm still kind of befuddled as to why anyone would want to watch this show uncut in the first place. I mean, it's more of a shameless marketing device than even Pokemon. Razz
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, very interesting. Hopefully there will be subs, but will the subs be the ones from the DVD or will they put new subs?

I was one of those people who bought all 3 of those DVDs and was really excited for the 4th one (since I was a big Jounouchi fan). I was sad that it was cancelled...I even went to Best Buy on the day it would be released. xD
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
What is the posting two episodes without subtitles. Uncut and unedited is great for the fans, but you'd really have to know japanese to understand that.

As for the link, I am surprized 4kids knows that some fans dislike them. But because 4kids ruined One Piece and other shows, I can't blame the fans. I wonder what the higher ups think of the link?

If a company ruins a show so badly (like 4kids did with One Piece), its only a matter of time before the company actually realizes this.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm still kind of befuddled as to why anyone would want to watch this show uncut in the first place. I mean, it's more of a shameless marketing device than even Pokemon. Razz
As the troll above completely missed upon, the best part of the show is the Japanese voice actors and the music. There are a number of memes that have spawned from the Japanese version of the show. (ずっと俺のターン!) Everyone knows the plot is crap and a marketing tool. (To give you an idea, the majority of comments on Nicovideo relate to: Memes, voice acting, how bad the animation is when kagamin isn't animation director, music, how absurd the plot is and plot holes.) It's just that the majority of edits were beyond pointless and only served to further lower the age target of a show that was already for kids. Most of the absurdity actually comes from how seriously the show takes itself and treats card games as if they were the answer to everything.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey Yu-Gi-Oh! Fans. thanks for the comments. Obviously we're testing NEW things on YouTube and elsewhere. More episodes are coming...today. ENJOY!

There were some huge hurdles overcome to get this done. Subtitles are an obvious & might come down the road. We felt it was more important to get these out now. Additionally, due to rights issues around the world, we have to restrict most videos to US visitors. This will broaden out a bit on a brand and country basis in the coming weeks. Sorry but that's just the reality of rights online right now - hence YouTube took down all music videos in the UK last week.

And save your time saying we suck, burn in hell, etc., etc. Life's too short. If you must RANT, etc. feel free by copying this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+can+i+complain+about+4kids%3F and pasting it into your browser. Or you can even post a response video on YouTube! You know who 4Kids is, we've heard all the super negative stuff before so its pointless to continue PLUS we moderate...That said, we do like hearing from you and your comments rock so keep them coming. SUBSCRIBE TO US AND ADD US A FRIEND! thanks.

The keyword here is "testing". I hope that what they're "testing" will also be subs for the show. I really want to have the opportunity to watch this show uncut and legally and understand it at the same time.

As for region restrictions, is this show also available for viewing in Canada?
kit-tsukasa wrote:
no subs = epic fail. YGO season 0 FTW! Best season there was.

As someone who had watched all 27 episodes of that show and the half hour "movie", I can tell you with all honesty that it's not that good. Cheap animation, severely toned down penalty games, personality changes to key characters and (ugh!) Mayu, just made the series look way too kiddified and is nowhere near the envelope-pushing style of Takahashi's original manga. There is a reason that Takahashi hated the '98 series.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
None of the 4Kids videos I've tried to watch have been available in Canada. This includes Yu-Gi-Oh!.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Whaaaaat?!

What is this?! 4Kids and Japanese raws?!!?

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

Also, LittleKuriboh reports that 4Kids actually called Yugioh!Abridged "awesome" in a comment response.

That is amazing. I can almost forgive 4Kids just from these 2 actions.
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew this would happen.

4Kids start to go down the shitter so they come crawling back to the real fans.

I can certainly say I'm not biting, silly company.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Yep, we shouldn't support 4Kids when they move in the right direction. That makes a lot of sense.

Besides, 4Kids doesn't get any profit from this at all. It's pure fan service.

Looks like they're uploading eight new uncut episodes today. Unfortunately, the guy uploaded the edited dub, but looks like he's fixing that now.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Yeah except Pokemon was a game first, that became an anime and Yugioh was a Manga first that became an anime and spawned a card game that's actually part of the manga and not just a shameless marketing by-product. It's okay if you don't like it. We all have are taste. Just don't like it for accurate reasons is all. Like, "I don't like it because its a show... about card games.... evil card games as a matter of fact. WOW..." you know, the obvious reason.

Honestly I liked Yugioh for the art style it had when it was big starting around season 2. Plus the fact the show was interesting dispite when you break it all down, it was a show whose theme was about something pretty ridiculous. But that didn't stop me or the general public apparently. Alot of times around dinner I'd see Yugioh running on the TVs in the dorm's eatery back when I was in school and I could understand why. It was stylish and the studio or group in charged of the "good" episodes are one of my favorite teams. If only I knew their name or could read japanese well enough to find out who the head animation was for those episodes. It's just too bad the studio in charge didn't stick around to the end and ended up just doing the opening and closing animation for the show eventually.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Also, LittleKuriboh reports that 4Kids actually called Yugioh!Abridged "awesome" in a comment response.

Wow, 4Kids is awesome.

D Dubbs wrote:
Yep, we shouldn't support 4Kids when they move in the right direction. That makes a lot of sense.

Besides, 4Kids doesn't get any profit from this at all. It's pure fan service.

Looks like they're uploading eight new uncut episodes today. Unfortunately, the guy uploaded the edited dub, but looks like he's fixing that now.

Where'd you read that?
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
4Kids currently has the first 6 episodes up now, uncut...

Holy crap, they're uploading these episodes rather quickly.
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Where'd you read that?

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CCCADF9834901E72

Their Yu-Gi-Oh! playlist. All 10 episodes should be up within the hour.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, that's crazy. I don't think I can watch that many episodes today. Shocked

But how'd you know about the dub edited vs. uncut thing?
D Dubbs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
But how'd you know about the dub edited vs. uncut thing?

They had the dub up by accident for like half an hour, but they took it down almost immediately.

Eh...looks they switched episode four and episode five by accident too. And five has some sketchy audio. Everything else seems good though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6