• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Posts 2 Yu-Gi-Oh! Episodes in Raw Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And save your time saying we suck, burn in hell, etc., etc. Life's too short. If you must RANT, etc. feel free by copying this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Where+can+i+complain+about+4kids%3F and pasting it into your browser. Or you can even post a response video on YouTube! You know who 4Kids is, we've heard all the super negative stuff before so its pointless to continue PLUS we moderate...That said, we do like hearing from you and your comments rock so keep them coming. SUBSCRIBE TO US AND ADD US A FRIEND! thanks.

Laughing Oh I'm so borrowing that. Good response.
jonindarkrai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
finnaly about time. I hate that they edited so much. this kind of fixs that. Or is it still edited. Wait where is it. i need a link. plus no subtiles. comon 4kids you can do better.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
primus wrote:
None of the 4Kids videos I've tried to watch have been available in Canada. This includes Yu-Gi-Oh!.

They'd better fix that soon. Considering that Yu-Gi-Oh! ran on Canada's YTV back in the heyday, I think the Canadian fans deserve this just as much as the U.S. fans. Mad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

I still wonder why they're doing this though. A thank you to the fans who had supported this series since the early 00's? Economic problems leading them to cater to the fanbase? Confused
More like in a blind panic trying to gain control of a business spinning out of control with its engines on fire whilst heading for the ground at speed.
darkrunner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
penguintruth wrote:
What could possibly have been cut from a show about children playing a card game?

::splutters:: What DIDN'T they cut?

Quote:

Oh, you'll get the details from the fanboys, I expect- guns airbrushed out, cheesy 007 deathtraps re-classed as cheesy magical prisons, chicks given some sensible clothes, the occassional problem with the Japanese just not understanding crucifixions are offensive, etc. It was really a quite brilliant move on 4Kids' part, though they may not have known it- they removed just enough of the juvenile BS their 13-year-old fanbase goes gaga over to convince them that they also removed the quality, when they really just failed to remove the suck. Hence the series remained popular for quite some time, and its' increasingly obvious flaws got blamed on 4Kids.

Just because it doesn't meet your standards of good anime doesn't mean that you can dismiss the awful editing. Pokemon's no great shakes, but it's still a travesty that it was edited so heavily. Yes, the fans get annoying harping of 4kids all the time. I'm one of them. But that's because THE DUB IS HORRIBLE. And just because the plot isn't always the greatest, doesn't mean that there's no quality--as someone pointed out before, the voice acting and the music!
If you don't like the show, here's a solution for you--DON'T WATCH IT. The rest of us who never thought we'd live to see uncut Yuugiou legally released in the US will flock to youtube.

Also, the next eight episodes are up now! Very Happy
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The things that were cut from Yu Gi Oh! really for me aren't something to get worked up over, it's not targetted to nor does it appeal to me, so in that aspect I don't care, it's not like the overall themes or messages of the show were drastically altered, if that happened to a series I liked than I would complain but this "Typical shonen tournament stuff only with card games, with very typical shonen themes" wasn't really lost in removing the "guns airbrushed out, 007 deathtraps re-classed as magical prisons, chicks given some sensible clothes,"

But still for those wanting there "adult" entertainment from Yu Gi Oh! get excited over this, but for me I'll think I'll stick with watching Paranoia Agent again.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
primus wrote:
None of the 4Kids videos I've tried to watch have been available in Canada. This includes Yu-Gi-Oh!.

They'd better fix that soon. Considering that Yu-Gi-Oh! ran on Canada's YTV back in the heyday, I think the Canadian fans deserve this just as much as the U.S. fans. Mad

This is taken from D Dubbs original post:

D Dubbs wrote:
There were some huge hurdles overcome to get this done. Subtitles are an obvious & might come down the road. We felt it was more important to get these out now. Additionally, due to rights issues around the world, we have to restrict most videos to US visitors. This will broaden out a bit on a brand and country basis in the coming weeks. Sorry but that's just the reality of rights online right now - hence YouTube took down all music videos in the UK last week.

For the time being its limited to the US like some of Crunchyrolls stuff. Sorry Canada.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
So ignoring the whole "I are Canadian, this no work for moi" thing, here are the current anime titles that 4Kids have listed on their video portal:

Dinosaur King
Fighting Foodons
Kirby: Right Back At Ya!
Magical DoReMi
Sonic X
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds

We can assume that for other older titles, such as Shaman King, Mew Mew Power, Ultimate Muscle, F-Zero GX Legend, Tanma & Friends, etc. either do not have online distribution in their contracts. Or their license to said titles have expired.

No guarantee that any of these series other then Yu-Gi-Oh! will get a Japanese web release.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Well this is certainly unexpected but I think for those that can speak Japanese it's a good time to practice your skills. Can't ask for more than that. I haven't seen the beginning at all so this certainly provides for an opportunity. If they're testing stuff out then all you can do is hope and wait for what they'll do later. Although region locking the Japanese episodes I don't understand as well.
PrometheusUFO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=4KidsTV&view=videos

Shocked Wow. 20 episodes online now (10 Japanese, 10 English). Don't particularly care for the show though. Just pointing them out. I went to that URL yesterday (looking for new Kamen Rider Dragon Knight videos) and saw only the four episodes mentioned in the original article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
... Shocked 4Kids is servicing the vocal fanbase.

(And all the dubbed episodes of 5D's are up on their website. Call me a tool, but I like me some futuristic motorcycle-riding children's-card-game-playing generic shounen action. Especially with a baddass protagonist.)

NOW can we forgive them for their past sins? I mean, it looks like they're really trying their best to play nice this time around, and hell, they've even got a sense of humor to boot. (Ok, once they get streaming rights for the rest of the world for their shows, THEN?)
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Mysticmidnightmaiden wrote:

NOW can we forgive them for their past sins?

Not until Al KAHNNNNNNN!!!! grovels and apologizes for this insulting interview.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

But still for those wanting there "adult" entertainment from Yu Gi Oh! get excited over this, but for me I'll think I'll stick with watching Paranoia Agent again.

As an adult, I wasn't all thay impressed with Paranoia Agent. Boogie Pop was better for my money.

But as a Japanese VA fan, I would love a sub set of YuGiOh.
Katawe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And save your time saying we suck, burn in hell, etc., etc. Life's too short.

Hehe, I used to be one of those a couple years ago.
I guess they can't burn in hell anymore, now that it's frozen over. Wink
*goes over to youtube*
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
The things that were cut from Yu Gi Oh! really for me aren't something to get worked up over, it's not targetted to nor does it appeal to me, so in that aspect I don't care, it's not like the overall themes or messages of the show were drastically altered, if that happened to a series I liked than I would complain but this "Typical shonen tournament stuff only with card games, with very typical shonen themes" wasn't really lost in removing the "guns airbrushed out, 007 deathtraps re-classed as magical prisons, chicks given some sensible clothes,"

Ok, so.. you only care about edits/cuts when it affects shows *you* like; for shows like you don't care for, you're saying that these edits don't matter, that this level censorship is just hunky dory?

While it doesn't affect the central card-game plot, it certainly removes nearly everything that makes the show entertaining in the first place. I saw some episodes on TV then stopped watching because I thought it was terribly cheesy. It still is cheesy but at least the uncut version has some entertainment value. But I never realized the massive difference at the time. It's like on the order of One Piece, which also left a bad impression on me when I saw the 4kids version first a while back (and also did not realize how butchered it was). No wonder the fansubs are still going strong for this.

Besides the obvious clothing edits, gun edits and removing spikes from armored breasts, consider this scene from the previously posted link
http://www.yu-jyo.net/005/193.html

spoiler[Joey thinks Vivian must have hypnotized Grandpa. (Japanese Jounouchi thinks Grandpa has a crush on Vivian.) Grandpa blushes, and tries to explain. After Professor Hawkins left Grandpa's hospital room, Vivian came by. (Cut from the US version is this sequence where Grandpa looks up at Vivian, red-faced. Running her fingers along his back, Vivian asks if he's Yugi's grandfather. He says he is. Half-crawling onto the bed with him, she asks if he'll listen to her request.)]
The entire scene is changed with all of the humor completely removed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6