• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Valkyria Chronicles Game to Get TV Anime Next Spring

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Hells yeah, that game is awesome fun, and that studio isn't terrible either. No doubt this show will get over-subbed when it airs. Or maybe Sony will release it on the PSN, but not for that ungodly retarded rental system like they're doing with Xam'd.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
'Simulation role playing game' is a term only Japanese people use. The common English term is tactical RPG or more commonly strategy RPG. Sort-of turn-based strategy game with a RPG elements (which in Valkyria's case are reasonably minor). It sits in the same genre as something like Disgaea, but that's quite a different game. And hopefully the anime adaption will be less terrible too.

It's a very, very good game. Absolutely stunning visuals, incredible Miyazaki-esque watercolour look to it. The setting is pretty interesting too. I'm not at all surprised it would get tapped for an anime adaption, it seems like a bit of a no-brainer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hells yeah, that game is awesome fun, and that studio isn't terrible either. No doubt this show will get over-subbed when it airs. Or maybe Sony will release it on the PSN, but not for that ungodly retarded rental system like they're doing with Xam'd.
Blech. I'd rather it stick to a typical TV airing so it might drum up enough attention to fuel an Xbox 360 port. It was developed for that console originally, so why not have it multi-plat? The decision for exclusivity boggles my mind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
I really want to play this game but I can't afford a PS3 right now, or atleast can't justify buying system for only 1 game. Guess I will settle for the anime until the PS3 drops down again.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Awesome news! My friend will be glad to hear that. I'll try to look into it myself. I just hope they get a good animation team to work on it.

So 'Overworks' was responsible. I should've know. Curious to see how this series pans out.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this one will end up being as medicore as all the other adaptions that I watched, but none the less, I've been immensely enjoying Valkyria Chronicles and I hope it sells well enough for Overworks to have the funds to work on another RPG, preferably a sequel to Skies of Arcadia.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite games in a very long while and I believe it to be a masterpiece in every way. I recently wrote up a review of the game feel free to check it out at http://gamingshangrila.blogspot.com/

This is great news. I'm hoping we will be able to get our hands on it soon after it's release and I hope that it is brought to the US at some point. I see not reason not to as the game was released here and from what I have seen and heard the game is already being regarded as a cult classic.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sega's Overworks development unit (Sakura Wars) created the original game, which is set in the wartorn country of Gallia in a fictional version of 1930s Europe.

Wait, Overworks? You sure? Because Overworks has been gone for years now. >.>
MrVince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Quote:
Sega's Overworks development unit (Sakura Wars) created the original game, which is set in the wartorn country of Gallia in a fictional version of 1930s Europe.

Wait, Overworks? You sure? Because Overworks has been gone for years now. >.>

I think they should get partial points on a technicality. I believe Sega WOW is based on merging AM1 and Overworks. So yes, there is some truth to that.

As for the anime, we more or less now know who would do the voices... or at least would have first stab at it =)
necrozen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
This game is fantastic and I think it will be one that folks look back on fondly in the years to come. It makes sense they'd make a show of it. I'll be checking it out.
Cross Ward

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
I truly enjoyed the game. But if I wanted to watch an anime adaptation of this, I hope they use the English dubbing voice actors from Studiopolis or any Los Angeles area instead of the ones in Texas. If Texas were to dub the character voices, then forget this anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1