• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films, Anime Network Add Anime to iTunes Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
If I recall, ADV held on to some of it's bigger titles. I assume they were the ones that did well, since they sold off so many others. They were at least the ones that I coincidentally happen to enjoy. Princess Tutu, Kino's Journey, Gunslinger Girl, Kaleido Star, Super Gals, Cromartie High School... It's good to see they've still got a pulse, since apparently half my collection is ADV titles Laughing

They didn't sell off those titles, they were taken away from them when Sojitz/ARM called off it's partnership with ADV and granted the rights to FUNi. Gunslinger Girl is a FUNi title. Wasn't Super GALS such a huge disappointment for them that they almost didn't finish the first season and canceled the second season (which Right Stuf picked up)?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
VDZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote
RenTers wrote:
Its nice to see another company other than Funimation working with iTunes.

Hopefully more companies can start doing this too. A $1.99 per episode is awesomely cheap.

You're kidding, right? 2 dollars for 20 minutes of anime? That's ridiculously expensive. Not as expensive as those DVD releases, but still way too expensive.

asgiov wrote:
That's good news, but it's kinda lame that they only offer the shows in one language (english). They should start offering subtitled versions too.

Wait, you don't mean to say they're dub-only?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Why don't they just Die. Give Clannad to someone else!

Because no one else wanted it. The only other possible choice might have been Media Blasters, but they probably wouldn't have released it an other fashion. In fact, they'd have probably released single DVDs.

Well, from what I've heard Clannad is something I'm sure ADV are pleased to have held on to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Luna Loving

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
I' m pleased to see this. I agree with the above, it would be nice to see other companies working alongside iTunes.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Isn't that over the top harsh? Do you really wish for hard working people to lose their jobs over a anime that was adapted from a H game? Keep in mind ADV has licensed some great shows over the years.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

You don't want to get me started on ADV's handling of Clannad.

Either do it right the first time (Read: Bilingual audio tracks on the DVDs) or don't [expletive] do it at all.

emerje: How was Super GALS a disappointment?
VDZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Isn't that over the top harsh? Do you really wish for hard working people to lose their jobs over a anime that was adapted from a H game? Keep in mind ADV has licensed some great shows over the years.

Clannad is not an H game.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

You don't want to get me started on ADV's handling of Clannad.

Either do it right the first time (Read: Bilingual audio tracks on the DVDs) or don't [expletive] do it at all.

<snip>

Now that's also harsh. Some titles won't survive with a dub. Look at the titles that MB, Nozomi and Bandai are releasing without one.

Clannad is an approx 46 ep. niche title (both seasons). Sometimes the buyer needs to be flexible if he/she really wants that title or learn to move on.

Now if ADV could only put their back catalog up there. EVA TV, Gantz, Rahxephon and FMP would prob be big sellers.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
They need to upload DNAngel, that is a good anime, that needs to be on iTunes.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Are they finally putting up subbed versions of their episodes? They have traditionally only put up dubbed versions, which sucks..
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I can understand ADV doing this, but not one who even owned a Walkman when it was the "new way", how many people actually watch their anime on an I-pod? Seems a bit like grasping at dust moots, me thinks.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
It could be useful during a long car ride or something I guess.

It's really annoying to hear all this ADV bashing because Suffering mentally unable girls #3 didn't get a dub. It's not like Naruto didn't get a dub. It's a niche show and there is no way that anyone could justify dubbing it because they wouldn't make the money back. even if MB or Nozomi got it they probably wouldn't have given it a dub.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
True, but how many anime fans:
1) have a Touch, or I-phone?

2) can afford, or would even purchase the download if they could afford to?

3) ride in a car, or public transport long enough to want to watch their anime on such a tiny screen., and often enough to make a bit of dosh by it?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mario########: stop derailing every thread involving ADV into a Clannad dub whine-fest. I'm not happy about the situation either, but complaining on the Internet isn't going to change things at this point, and serves no purpose other than stirring up flame wars.
VDZ wrote:
RenTers wrote:
Its nice to see another company other than Funimation working with iTunes.

Hopefully more companies can start doing this too. A $1.99 per episode is awesomely cheap.

You're kidding, right? 2 dollars for 20 minutes of anime? That's ridiculously expensive. Not as expensive as those DVD releases, but still way too expensive.
Too expensive? Isn't $1.99 the going rate for just about any standard-definition TV episodes on iTunes? If a foreign-import / niche product is selling at the same price point as domestic content, that means it's cheap.

What I'm curious about is if these dub-only episodes will have the song/sign subtitles hardcoded into the video, or if they're just "raw dub" like ADV's VOD offerings.
NearlyMello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
True, but how many anime fans:
1) have a Touch, or I-phone?

2) can afford, or would even purchase the download if they could afford to?

3) ride in a car, or public transport long enough to want to watch their anime on such a tiny screen., and often enough to make a bit of dosh by it?

While you have a point, I think it's a bit more useful than you're giving it credit for. I got Black Jack on iTunes, and not only can I watch it on any iPod with video capabilities (which includes most that are on the market now, except the shuffle and maybe the nano.) It's also of a good enough quality that I can watch it on my computer screen if I want to. I paid one price for the whole thing and didn't have to track down all five or six volumes, and it downloaded pretty quickly as far as video files go. Now, the only complaint I have is that it should have a subtitle feature, but overall it was a really good experience and well worth the money. Basically, it had the convenience of downloaded anime combined with the satisfaction of supporting the company that bothered to translate a fairly niche title, so I'm all for more anime on iTunes. Smile Well, ones I'd watch, anyways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3