• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise: Keanu Reeves' Enthusiasm Clinched Cowboy Bebop Deal

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joystick1101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control by stating, "If the script is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved."

God glad to hear tat we don't need any more "Dragonball: cancer of the eyes and brain" or "speed racer: kill me now please god kill me now" seriously if they f*ck this up, not tat I be surprised, some heads will roll.
Afax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control

...this does not make me feel any better about the movie. At all.

Unless Keiko Nobumoto and/or Watanabe personally approve the script, Sunrises endorsement is worthless considering the quality, or lack thereof, of their own work lately.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:13 am Reply with quote
I was going to quote that same thing. At first I was pretty iffy about having Keanu Reeves play as Spike, but if he's as big of a fan of the anime as it seems he is, then this movie ought to be a better adaptation than the other live action anime movies. I mean, what kind of fan would want something horrible to detract from the reputation of the source material? Like people have said, it's pretty obvious that anime fans weren't in charge of the Dragonball movie (not that I've seen it, but I've read that review a few times, as it was hilarious).

Edit: I was referring to the first quote, not the one in the second post. That one got in while I was typing.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Quote:

Unless Keiko Nobumoto and/or Watanabe personally approve the script, Sunrises endorsement is worthless considering the quality, or lack thereof, of their own work lately.

Lol I knew it wouldn't be long before someone tried to work that angle/cliche.

Just in general though I wouldn't trust any anime studio in Japan working in tandem towards a live action production to judge properly whether a script is terrible or not. I can't actually think of any anime to live-action adaptation that I have ever seen that I would even begin to call decent.

Sunrise however, doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to Live-Action English Language Movies, that much is evident. I mean they did approve G-Saviour and anyone whose seen it can see that that was a bad move on their part.
giascle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
@everyone

Some supervision is better than none at all. Sunrise might have its issues, but at least someone who worked on the original anime will have a say in the production this time.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Quote:

This.

I mean, it's especially true for Sunrise, but really this would be true of any studio anywhere, anime or otherwise. Getting approval from the suits doesn't really mean anything. What makes a script "terrible" to producers is primarily if it somehow weakens the brand's marketability (in their eyes), not how good it is based on creative merits.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 am Reply with quote
giascle wrote:
@everyone

Some supervision is better than none at all. Sunrise might have its issues, but at least someone who worked on the original anime will have a say in the production this time.

Agreed. Having some oversight is better than none. And for all we know, Sunrise may actually intend to have Shinichiro Watanabe approve it. True, we don't know that they do intend to have him approve it, but at least there's some oversight and at least the possibility that that oversight will include Shinichiro Watanabe.

I can't say that I'm entirely pleased with the idea of Keanu Reeves playing Spike given how stiff he tends to be, but at least he kind of looks the part and his enthusiasm for the role is a definite plus. He could very well turn out to be perfect for the role. I'm certainly no judge of that without seeing the finished product.

Overall, particularly when you take into account the episodic and somewhat American-esque nature of the source material along with news like this, I'd have to say that Cowboy Bebop has a much better chance of turning out to be a good movie than your average live action adaption of an anime.
Sentire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
My gut reaction is disappointment that Keanu is playing Spike. I always imagined Spike being a bit more complex... and I just don't see Keanu bringing it. I still hope he pulls it off and that the film is successful. I just can't help being doubtful.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:45 am Reply with quote
This makes me feel a good several measures better about the production, or at least the fact that it won't be the utter garbage that Dragonball was.

Keanu Reeve's enthusiasm is especially reassuring. It's not like someone just decided to cast him, he's actually a big fan and is interested in the production.

Also I have a feeling that Sunrise is looking at the mess that was made of Dragonball and will be double checking whatever they come up with as a script to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with their property.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
It's nice to hear from Sunrise, but I'd prefer Watanabe's take on the whole thing.

Quote:
Uchida further noted that the difficult negotiations with the 20th Century Fox film studio continued for two years until agreeable contract terms were drafted. He emphasized that the contract allows Sunrise to assert quality control by stating, "If the script is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved."

Looks like they read the leaked scripts for DB: E. Laughing Anyway, it's Watanabe's baby, so I'd rather know that he's involved in the approval process, since that live-action Gundam movie was something they had no problem ok'ing, either. Rolling Eyes
shogun22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:57 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
Quote:

from the previous article...
Quote:
He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him."

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-21/producer/live-action-cowboy-bebop-will-not-be-origin-story
revilenigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:21 am Reply with quote
so far the live-action bebop is the only remake I wouldn't mine seeing, hell it might actually be good.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote
The real question is what does Keanu Reeves consider in good taste? I don't know that this makes me feel any better, although it is good that he has a passion for the project, which simply means that the movie won't be terrible.

...But given the EXTREMELY low opinion I have of the man's acting choices...sometimes project choices...I juuuust don't know that his zeal means a good movie. Dragonball was partly a travesty because the source material was NOT that hard to adapt. The biggest hurdle they would have had was transferring the cartoony and surprisingly violent tone of the original to live action and keeping the same tone. Story-wise, an adaptation SHOULD have been cake and I'm sure it took a lot of effort to make it as absolutely horrid as it was.

Cowboy Bebop is different. Here you have very dimensional characters, delicately developed relationships, a style that is hotter than the substance and has to be even cooler in live-action, regardless of the basicness of the story...and then there's Edward. Oh, boy, how are they going to do EDWARD? This is much harder material so it's a lot easier to screw it all up to heck, and the least of challenges is actually adapting the basic plot. The style, tone, and characters are going to be a bigger pain, so I just hope that this movie gets good directors and writers, Keanu or no Keanu...and no matter HOW passionate he is.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Cowboy Bebop is different. Here you have very dimensional characters, delicately developed relationships, a style that is hotter than the substance and has to be even cooler in live-action, regardless of the basicness of the story...and then there's Edward. Oh, boy, how are they going to do EDWARD? This is much harder material so it's a lot easier to screw it all up to heck, and the least of challenges is actually adapting the basic plot. The style, tone, and characters are going to be a bigger pain, so I just hope that this movie gets good directors and writers, Keanu or no Keanu...and no matter HOW passionate he is.

Hasn't it been confirmed that the movie is going to cover the first episode or so? i.e. No Edward or Fay. I mean aside from Keanu doing Spike, Jet really shouldn't be all that hard to get right.

Quote:

Also I have a feeling that Sunrise is looking at the mess that was made of Dragonball and will be double checking whatever they come up with as a script to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with their property.

Pretty much. The limited scope they're taking as far as the plot seems like it could be workable in comparison to DB, so I'm thinking that the real problems will be more to do with aesthetics and how well they depict character/setting.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
shogun22 wrote:
Afax wrote:
Quote:

from the previous article...
Quote:
He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him."

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-21/producer/live-action-cowboy-bebop-will-not-be-origin-story

Haha, beat me to it. They're solving the issues before the complainers even start whining! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6