• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films, Anime Network Add Anime to iTunes Store

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Why don't they just Die. Give Clannad to someone else!
I think ADV is doing just fine with their handling of both Clannad and Princess Resurrection. I'm watching both on Anime Network on Demand, and enjoy watching them with the subtitles (and I'm usually a dub-only fan). So saying that is a little extreme.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I can understand ADV doing this, but not one who even owned a Walkman when it was the "new way", how many people actually watch their anime on an I-pod?

I do. I can bring it anywhere with me (to the beach, in the bathroom, etc.), and anytime I have even just 5 minutes to spare. Laughing
Tratious

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
i have a question why does all the anime say Copyright WB Ent Inc
did ADV get bought out or something?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Warner Brothers is their new partner.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
That would be a good thing for them. It would help them survive.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, hopefully this helps ADV get some new income coming in the door. The more that they can get out of their old titles, the more likely it'll be that they'll be able to license new shows. And eventually, if they're doing well enough, we may start to see them dubbing stuff again. Personally, I'd say that at this point, any news about ADV making more money and managing to stay afloat in spite of their poor economic situation is good news.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah that's true. I'm glad they are following FUNI's example. It would be good for them to start being able to pick up popular series again because they have always treated shows good in the past, plus they always had the best extra's too.
RenTers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Mario########: stop derailing every thread involving ADV into a Clannad dub whine-fest. I'm not happy about the situation either, but complaining on the Internet isn't going to change things at this point, and serves no purpose other than stirring up flame wars.
VDZ wrote:
RenTers wrote:
Its nice to see another company other than Funimation working with iTunes.

Hopefully more companies can start doing this too. A $1.99 per episode is awesomely cheap.

You're kidding, right? 2 dollars for 20 minutes of anime? That's ridiculously expensive. Not as expensive as those DVD releases, but still way too expensive.
Too expensive? Isn't $1.99 the going rate for just about any standard-definition TV episodes on iTunes? If a foreign-import / niche product is selling at the same price point as domestic content, that means it's cheap.

What I'm curious about is if these dub-only episodes will have the song/sign subtitles hardcoded into the video, or if they're just "raw dub" like ADV's VOD offerings.

When I got Kiddy Grade from iTunes, the op/ed varied from English or Japanese w/subtitles. Other than that the episodes were dubbed.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
A quick Q for Justin Sevakis (and apologies if the question was asked before and I happened to miss it):

Have you given any thought to releasing the TMS Classics catalogue on iTunes (if the license with TMS would allow it)?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
Why don't they just Die. Give Clannad to someone else!

You don't want to get me started on ADV's handling of Clannad.

Either do it right the first time (Read: Bilingual audio tracks on the DVDs) or don't [expletive] do it at all.

emerje: How was Super GALS a disappointment?

Super GALS was a pretty big sales dissapointment, as confirmed by several staff members at ADV. Also, if the show had been successful enough, they probably would have licensed the second season. Instead, it was picked up by Right Stuf, who chose not to dub it. Had the show been successful for ADV dubbed, and they simply passed on it, TRSi would have dubbed the second season for the sales boost. The fact they didn't, shows pretty conclusively that Season 1 didn't do well.

Also, I think it's also pointless to keep complaining about shows, any show, not getting a dub. The economy sucks. DVD sales are falling, with anime sales doing the worst. Even Funimation is having significant sales declines, despite increasing the volume of the titles it does. We're lucky it's only more niche titles right now that are skipping the dub. It's going to be this way for a while, or at least until the economy improves. We may not like it, but it's just something we have to deal with.

And like someone else mentioned, if Media Blasters had picked up Clannad, it would probably still be subbed only, but be in singles. At least we got a quicker release and a pretty significant price cut when they moved to sub sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3