• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sea Story Fantasy TV Anime's Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loganator456

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
The PV on the website as well as the website itself looks pretty cool, although I'm not really interested in seeing it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I knew when there was already a pachinko tie-in, that there was something suspect, but that trailer exemplifies everything that I can't stand about contemporary anime. I did like that shamisen at the end, though...
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hm...I've never heard of this, but from the PV alone...

The good

I love water, and the sea, so this is automatically a plus.
Very, -very- pretty.
Nice music.

The bad

TERRIBLE choice of voice actors, especially for the blonde. My god.
Kind of weird body proportions
Not really mermaids, just...people underwater.

I think I'll still give it a try, mainly because I'm a sucker for anything shiny, and again, the water. I really loved Real Drive last year for the same reason (among other things, admittedly).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it just because Junichi Sato is directing. Wink
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The director of Chrono Crusade, all right! I do wonder if he'll have Yuki Kajiura write a theme again, he did with Chrono Crusade and Loveless? That would be sweet
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I had mixed feelings like SongstressCela. The concept sounded interesting and the artwork I had seen looked uber-shiny-pretty. While it still does look uber-shiny-pretty, I was sort of turned off once I saw the costume design.. which looked sort of stupid to me. Also, is it weird that I was disappointed that they're not mermaids? Laughing

Anyway, the fact that Junichi Sato is directing *is* promising and makes it worth checking out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Except for the shamisen, this is pretty much what I hate about contemporary anime.
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The animation was unimpressive, the voice acting grating, and it showed no signs of action, intrigue, or humor (the things I usually go for).

On the other hand, the mustachioed grandpa turtle could be epic.
holybell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
I am certainly not impress with the voice cast. What is with the voice acting? It's absolutely terrible. >____<
kayanat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
What anime character should I dress up as for the anime convention?
I am 15 years old and I am planning on going to the anime convention coming up this September in New York. And I am looking for any anime characters that fits me. I dont care what hair color the person is, just as long as the person has short hair.(like ichigo from bleach). I am also light skinned and I wear glasses or contacts. OH! it would help if the person looked like a 14 or 15 year old boy. So any idea's?

Last edited by kayanat on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one here who kind of got the impression they weren't mermaids from the very start? The way the show was described in ANN's TAC article, that's what I thought.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, kinda reminded me of the Little Mermaid returning the sunk dancing ballerina jewelry box to its owner.

With the promo arts promoting naked characters and ridiculously skimpy outfits, you know what they're aiming at.

And doesn't that guy in green costume look like he's having a giant boner in that scene?! That reminds me, there's also that priest boner in The Little Mermaid. Laughing

kayanat wrote:
What anime character should I dress up as for the anime convention?
I am 15 years old and I am planning on going to the anime convention coming up this September in New York. And I am looking for any anime characters that fits me. I don't care what hair color the person is, just as long as the person has short hair.(like ichigo from bleach). I am also light skinned and I wear glasses or contacts. OH! it would help if the person looked like a 14 or 15 year old boy. So any idea's?

Though why are you asking in this thread? Confused
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
The director of Chrono Crusade, all right! I do wonder if he'll have Yuki Kajiura write a theme again, he did with Chrono Crusade and Loveless? That would be sweet
I wouldn't doubt that was her on the piano. Wink It looked a bit like Little Mermaid meets Sailor Moon. One would have to be blind to not see that this is just another container ship packed with fanservice, though at least it's a cargo of the less moe variety, one tick in the positive box there.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Also, is it weird that I was disappointed that they're not mermaids?

Nope! Very Happy~ I love mermaids...and sea nymphs, but I dunno. The whole costume thing bugs me given their human-ish nature. It reminds me of a "cuter" and more attractive in general Daphne in the Brilliant Blue rather than anything that actually lives underwater.

I do like Kanon's transformed costume, though. And I will hold out for some yuri subtext...xD Seems vaguely Kannazuki-ish.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the voices are bad. Urin's voice is cute! Horie Yui FTW! The music is cute and the graphics are pretty and the music kinda sounds like Natsume Yuujinchou music. I just hope this series isn't infested with ecchi or useless fan-service, which I HATE!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1