• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Resurrection Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised the story got a B, because this ranks among the worst anime that I have ever seen in my existence. I hated it from beginning to end. The only reason why I kept watching it is because I wanted to see if there was actually going to be plot development. Was there? Yeah, in the last episode. XP
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
I don't think plot development is really necessary for a girl with a chainsaw.

I'd like to know if ADV ever plans to get into dubbing again. I'm not sure that Clannad and this will be able to pull them out of their funk anytime soon, loosely speaking.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
I didn't know this was out already, I'll have to look for it this weekend. I like the manga a lot better though--the anime waters down a lot of the violence and fanservice(which I don't understand since I think most of the violence and fanservice in the manga would have been okay on Japanese TV) and Hime's personality is a lot colder in the manga--the Kerobette extras are great too. But I think that it would be a fun series for anyone nostalgiac for 90s style ironic supernatural/horror like BUFFY.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Why the italicizing and capitalization of goth? When you call her a Goth princess, you make her sound like the daughter of Alaric I. It's goth with a little "g." And there's an accidental link to the manga Goth which I don't think has any connection to Princess Resurrection.

Sorry, I suppose I shouldn't be this nitpicky, it must the mood I'm in today.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
A princess with a chainsaw, eh? I wish I was more discriminating, but I honestly don't see how I'm supposed to resist that premise.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
A princess with a chainsaw, eh? I wish I was more discriminating, but I honestly don't see how I'm supposed to resist that premise.

She only uses it once, maybe twice, and prefers to sit around and drink tea the rest of the time.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Why the italicizing and capitalization of goth? When you call her a Goth princess, you make her sound like the daughter of Alaric I. It's goth with a little "g." And there's an accidental link to the manga Goth which I don't think has any connection to Princess Resurrection.

There's a script in the programming for this site which automatically creates green-color links to Encyclopedia entries when it recognizes an actor's name or anime/manga title in an article; this can also include correcting capitalization or slight spelling discrepancies when the text in the article is a very close but not perfect match. The system's flaw is that it tends to get overzealous when a title is also a common English word (we've had a particular problem with the Flag anime series, for instance), hence creating links that are topically inappropriate. That's what happened here. In such cases the links have to be turned off manually, which I've now done (I think).

As for the spelling on "Goth," I've seen it widely-used in both capitalized and non-capitalized versions for the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I like the manga a lot better though--the anime waters down a lot of the violence and fanservice

I noticed that too and it made me feel really disappointed. Actually, fanservice isn't that big of a deal, but where's the BLOOD?!
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Certainly the first half of the series is nowhere near as graphic as the DVD case cover art suggests.

And this is the biggest let down for me; with artwork like that I was expecting a lot of needless bloodspray! But the most amount of blood we see is the stain on the back of Hiro's shirt in the first episode.
And yes, Liza's werewolf arms just look stupid, really stupid. Fortunately, the token maid character-type which I have come to loathe gets the least amount of attention (Hiro's sister), the android maids don't bother me since they're androids and do some ass-kicking.
And concerning the panda's, Confused what the hell? Its like this series can't decide whether it wants to be dark or cute. This show could have really benefitted itself by having the needless bloodspray which the (deceiving) cover art suggests it has, as well as more use of the chainsaw. Don't think I'll ever finish this one...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
When I buy something that's Sentai, am I still supporting ADV? I've been trying to buy anything related to them to give my support. I love so many of their releases and am eternally grateful to them for finishing the release of Princess Tutu even though it had dismal sales.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:50 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Quote:
Certainly the first half of the series is nowhere near as graphic as the DVD case cover art suggests.

And this is the biggest let down for me; with artwork like that I was expecting a lot of needless bloodspray! But the most amount of blood we see is the stain on the back of Hiro's shirt in the first episode.
And yes, Liza's werewolf arms just look stupid, really stupid. This show could have really benefitted itself by having the needless bloodspray which the (deceiving) cover art suggests it has, as well as more use of the chainsaw. Don't think I'll ever finish this one...

I'm pretty sure I and many others watched the show more for the character interaction and seeing straight shota situations than for any kind of plot or story. Like there was this one cute scene with Hiro and Liza's paws. Honestly, that was about the only way I could get through it.
hime rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
i highly disagree with most of u because first of all liza as u called her is actually riza according to many japanese sites

another reason is for a perv like me hime is hot!!!! Very Happy
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
hime rules wrote:
i highly disagree with most of u because first of all liza as u called her is actually riza according to many japanese sites

Hey fun Japanese language fact time! Did you know that in Japanese "L" and "R" sound the same? and are used interchangeably, for example we will use an actual Helsing conversation between the Japanese producers and the NA distributor.

NA distributor "So the character's name is Alucard right?"

Japanese Producer "Right it's Dracura spelled backwords,"

So Riza could also in English be Liza just as equally!
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'm the only one here who doesn't like the sub only release. Otherwise I would've been more tempted to collect the anime adaptation of the original Princess Resurrection manga, if it came with a quality and proper localization of both English sub and dub. I mean originality is a good quality to have simply due to its rarity, but right now the Sentai Filmworks licensed R1 anime DVD of Princess Resurrection from ADV isn't a quality production worthy of my contribution. However, it is a mockery to what could have been otherwise an enjoyable anime adaptation by Madhouse Studio.

But through the process of licensing the anime by Sentai Filmworks, Madhouse Studio as the copyright holder of the Princess Resurrection anime should had full executive decision on the R1 anime post production. So when I deemed the finished product of Princess Resurrection anime turned out to be a mockery with the approval from the original creators, needless to say I'm offended by that licensing decision made by Madhouse Studio, Sentai Filmworks, and ADV.
hime rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Looks like I'm the only one here who doesn't like the sub only release. Otherwise I would've been more tempted to collect the anime adaptation of the original Princess Resurrection manga, if it came with a quality and proper localization of both English sub and dub. I mean originality is a good quality to have simply due to its rarity, but right now the Sentai Filmworks licensed R1 anime DVD of Princess Resurrection from ADV isn't a quality production worthy of my contribution. However, it is a mockery to what could have been otherwise an enjoyable anime adaptation by Madhouse Studio.

But through the process of licensing the anime by Sentai Filmworks, Madhouse Studio as the copyright holder of the Princess Resurrection anime should had full executive decision on the R1 anime post production. So when I deemed the finished product of Princess Resurrection anime turned out to be a mockery with the approval from the original creators, needless to say I'm offended by that licensing decision made by Madhouse Studio, Sentai Filmworks, and ADV.
i agree it could have been better if it was dubbed not subbed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3