• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Ponyo Dated for August 14 in U.S. Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many theaters it'll open up into.
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It's being put out by Disney so it should get the whole normal movie treatment, like Spirited Away did. It has mass appeal to others outside the anime circle so it may do well for Disney.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
It's being put out by Disney so it should get the whole normal movie treatment, like Spirited Away did. It has mass appeal to others outside the anime circle so it may do well for Disney.

I'm not sure how "normal" spirited away's treatment was. It's max theater count was at 714 and it was in over 100 theaters for only a total of 10 weeks (in 2 different strings).

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=spiritedaway.htm
Crystal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for age-appropriate voice casting, but the fact that the two main characters are both voiced by younger siblings of Disney Channel stars is sooooo annoying. Mad

I wish they had just cast unknown child actors, like most animated movies.

Then again, it probably won't be that noticable.

I actually wished they'd release it in June or something, 'cause having something to look forward to in August just makes me feel like I'm getting closer to the end of the Summer, before it's even begun.[/quote]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't John Ratzenberger be in this too?! Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I just hope the fact that the Jonas movie bombed won't mean less people see Ponyo. It's nice to finally get a real date on this sucker. I'm hoping we'll be seein' the next wave of DVDs[Only Yesterday, dammit!] soon, too.
gunshottrigun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping it is in all theaters, this would be the first movie I'd go see in a long time.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Mmmh, I can't wait to see this. Every other Ghibli movie came to the larger theater about an hour and a half from here, but it's worth the trip!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
gunshottrigun wrote:
I'm hoping it is in all theaters, this would be the first movie I'd go see in a long time.

It won't, like the other poster said, the max it'll reach is probably in the 700's to 800's, and even then it won't have that long of a run. You'd be lucky if any theater near you ran it for like 2-3 weeks.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Finally a date of release. ^^

I'm just going to hope that one of the theaters around me is going to have the movie. Highly unlikely, but hey, it's a hope. ^^
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Shouldn't John Ratzenberger be in this too?! Laughing
No, Pixar doesn't have anything to do with this one. Laughing Oh, wait! Yes they do! I'm sure they'll get him in there somewhere.

This is one of Miyazaki's best. I've seen a very, very poor copy of it (a theater cam with subs that were running thirty seconds behind the video) and was nevertheless thoroughly charmed.

Since I live in a major city, I'm definitely going to see this one in the theater and get the dvd when it's out.
Justy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
gunshottrigun wrote:

It won't, like the other poster said, the max it'll reach is probably in the 700's to 800's, and even then it won't have that long of a run. You'd be lucky if any theater near you ran it for like 2-3 weeks.
If the film starts in this many theaters, it has the chance to be a surprise hit. I'm actually hoping that certain factors (i.e. Miyazaki's status in America, Lassiter's position as Disney's head, the film being traditionally animated) will result in the film starting in at least 1,500 theaters. A good promtional campaign (incl. TV spots) would sure help making the general public aware that the film is coming.
KuraiWarrior1227

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I really wish that more 2-D movies would come out, they always have a wonderful charm about them that 3D movies can really provide...well the pixar movies are great, but I just wish we could have both X3
Anyways, i'll see this opening day with some friends of mine, we adore Miyazaki's films.
I am also getting extremely annoyed with this retarded Disney stars bull crap...they get all the attention and they aren't even good at singing...its ridiculous really...all it is is immature fangirls that love Jonas Brothers. O well -_-
At least Matt Daemon will do a voice, he's awesome!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
KuraiWarrior1227 wrote:

I am also getting extremely annoyed with this retarded Disney stars bull crap...they get all the attention and they aren't even good at singing...its ridiculous really...all it is is immature fangirls that love Jonas Brothers. O well -_-

Yeah, like manufactured seiyuu and J-pop! Laughing
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
You know... I'm really curious about seeing this movie. I mean, hey, practically all of Miyazki's filma have turned out to be "masterpieces" on some degree, and I'm sure it won't be different with this, but...

Will it look right for a soon-to-be college freshman male to see this in theaters? I don't personally know any little kids that might even like to see this movie (and thus would be good excuses to see it). Pardon the bit of masochism here, but... I'm really unsure if it'll look alright to see it, even if I went with some friends my age or even family members.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2