• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - 30 Seconds to Pluto

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree about LoveCom. After Risa and Otani get together, the story starts to lose it's lustre, but it's still miles ahead of most of the competition. I need to pick up these volumes :/ Also…when is the anime getting licenced? I’d put out the cash for it for sure.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Wait: wasn't Peacemaker Kurogane the manga where they started releasing the sequel before the original series and had to put it on hold and backtrack and do the first series (Peacemaker)? Are they only now back up to the second series? Of which I already own three volumes?

The comic book store in my town has all of Urasawa's most recent stuff up in their window. This store is right across from where I work at a job that barely pays my bills. I am convinced the guys who run the store do this intentionally to torture me. *sigh* Ah well, big paycheck tomorrow, maybe I'll finally have a space in my budget to buy a volume.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Review wrote:
Releasing the series as two double-sized volumes was probably for the best, because no one would willingly sit through four installments of this.
Looks at birth certificate.

"Huh, when did my name change to No One?"
Wink

Yeah, Mao-Chan is a fun bit of fluff. That's why it would get a higher grade from me. For what it is, it's a good series. Expecting it to be more is pointless.

I do have to complain about the review in the whole "she makes friends and saves the world by doing it, that's silly" bit of the review. Mao-Chan is basically a magical girl series. The Power of Friendship is something magical girl series live and breath. (Although Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha is fueled more by [url=]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DefeatMeansFriendshipDefeat Means Friendship[/url]. We don't called Nanoha the White Devil for nothing.)

Got set of reviews as always. I'm not interested in the other series though so I can't comment on them. I'll send in a guilty pleasure review for sure though. A good chunck of my manga collection is guilty pleasure titles. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
It's funny. With Shadow Star I only heard about the anime. I think I'd like to check out the manga. (Exits to go online shopping...)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
It's funny. With Shadow Star I only heard about the anime. I think I'd like to check out the manga. (Exits to go online shopping...)

Sadly, Dark Horse never finished releasing it. You can only get about half the story in English (legally).

Also, the review somehow managed to gloss over how insanely dark, violent and disturbing the series gets. People die in very nasty ways, many of them children. Things get bad, then they get worse, then they get A LOT worse. It's not the level of graphic violence that is the problem; Gantz and Berserk are worse in that regard. It's simply the things that happen to people. It's dark, messed up stuff.
weirdofu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

Sadly, Dark Horse never finished releasing it. You can only get about half the story in English (legally).

Also, the review somehow managed to gloss over how insanely dark, violent and disturbing the series gets. People die in very nasty ways, many of them children. Things get bad, then they get worse, then they get A LOT worse. It's not the level of graphic violence that is the problem; Gantz and Berserk are worse in that regard. It's simply the things that happen to people. It's dark, messed up stuff.

I admit that I have an unhealthy fascination with Mohiro Kitoh's works. They all tend to just be plain wrong and disturbing on varying degrees. However, the level of mental disturbance is just somehow enough for me to want to know more, even though that usually disturbs me even more. I guess it's just the simple fact that though it is pretty messed up, a part of you realizes and accepts that it is real and human beings in general are just that flawed, twisted, and evil. And just because some of the underlying topics he touches on are so taboo in modern society, it tends to tug on your curiosity even more.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:

And they thought it was gonna be a nice li'l series too. Laughing
IIRC, they left realizing how much mature rating they'd be on latter volumes.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
Howdy, I haven't posted on ANN in a while but I wanted to because of you reviewing Pluto.

I stumbled upon Pluto a week ago after impulse purchasing 20th Century Boys a few days before. 20th Century Boys blew my socks off, so I knew I had to check out anything Naoki Urasawa had ever written. So that meant Monster and Pluto were insta-buys. Vol.1 of Monster is pretty good, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

But Pluto... Vol.1 and 2 of Pluto is quite possibly the greatest comic book experience I've ever had in my LIFE. And I say that coming as a man who's read comics from all over the world for most of his life.

Its very Asimov, and I've heard one reviewer call it "The Watchmen of Manga" and think that is a very apt description of it so far. Its a very muture take on what was a very "kiddy" character/universe (in this case Astro Boy).

I like its gradual build, but more then that, the emotion that just drips out of every character. From Atom(Astro)'s wide eye'd youth hiding a serious thinking machine, to Mont Blanc's questioning his purpose on the battlefield, to any other small but powerful character moments throughout the first two volumes. One moment that really stands out is when the two police inspectors are going over the crime scene, and Atom is just 'there'. He just appears and takes charge, and you can just sense how much power this kid is in control of. Its very striking stuff.

Its astonishing really. And from now one, when someone asks me "What manga should I read?" Pluto will forever been the one I shove in their hand and say "Read this" in excited words. Hell, I'll probably recommend it to general comic readers from now on too, not just manga readers. Its that great.

Its powerful stuff. And it is absolutely baffling me that its not getting the general acclaim I'd expect from manga readers. No one seems to be talking about this book but me (and 20th Century Boys for that matter) across three forums.

EDIT: Probably should point out, I am not inherently an Astro Boy fan. In fact, it was Pluto that finally got me to pick up the Dark Horse Astro Boy manga, for a kind of side by side comparison with Pluto.

I'm actually kind of surprised with how good Astro Boy is. I can see how its inspired so much in manga, anime, and even American media. Its very timeless in someways.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised at the overly positive reaction to Bakuman. I thought it was average at best and full of clichee shonen stuff. And at times it seemed quite ... "backwards"?

Dunno what's romantic about waiting forever to actually meet and get to know each other. In the end he only proposed to her because of her looks and gracefulness, but they don't know each other at all - and decide to marry?

I was also quite "eh?" concerning that stuff about "too intelligent women aren't interesting. The real intelligent ones just don't aim too high, but stay graceful, cute and nice so they can get married" ... what age are they living in Sad Or maybe I missed something (I hope so).

I'd love to see Casey review this one Very Happy

Mr Adventure: I think Seinen series generally aren't selling that well and aren't read by all that many manga readers. I've realized that quite a few of them are really superficial and only chose which series to read based on the artwork ... and stuff like Pluto or other more mature styles are generally considered "ugly". And I also feel that manga readers in general are pretty young, so we'd need some more older readers for Seinen series to get the attention they deserve. But at least in Japan Pluto is doing very well.

PS: Narutaru / Shadow Star and Bokurano are both awesome. Everybody should read them Wink
Dimlos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
You know, I think I'm probably the only person who isn't really fond of Obata's art or the Ohba/Obata duo.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Wasn't the English release of Shadow Star edited to shreds anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wait: wasn't Peacemaker Kurogane the manga where they started releasing the sequel before the original series and had to put it on hold and backtrack and do the first series (Peacemaker)? Are they only now back up to the second series? Of which I already own three volumes?

Those first releases you own already should be from ADV's now closed manga department. This release is from Tokyopop. And I hear ya, I got the first volume with the DVD 1 art box when I bought the anime. I'm just glad to see that Tokyopop picked it up and it's finally available again. Now hopefully the company will see it through to the end. Smile
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
Wasn't the English release of Shadow Star edited to shreds anyway?

I don't think the translation had much done to it, it was basically art here in there. A nipple here, an under-aged girl there, a vagina looking thing here, and lots of blood all over.

I don't care how edited it was, I loved the manga and want to finish the collection, but Dark Horse abandoned it. I'd love for them to finish it.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
I'm a bit surprised at the overly positive reaction to Bakuman. I thought it was average at best and full of clichee shonen stuff. And at times it seemed quite ... "backwards"?

Dunno what's romantic about waiting forever to actually meet and get to know each other. In the end he only proposed to her because of her looks and gracefulness, but they don't know each other at all - and decide to marry?

I was also quite "eh?" concerning that stuff about "too intelligent women aren't interesting. The real intelligent ones just don't aim too high, but stay graceful, cute and nice so they can get married" ... what age are they living in Sad Or maybe I missed something (I hope so).

I'm really glad I'm not the only one that thought this; I thought I was turning into a feminist or something. I mean, anyone that's read Death Note can tell that Ohba is a sexist pig, but Bakuman is so overt about it it's kind of sickening.

Besides all of that, I found Bakuman to be rather boring. Granted, I never read much past the first few exposition chapters, but shouldn't a manga be able to catch your attention by then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I stumbled upon Pluto a week ago after impulse purchasing 20th Century Boys a few days before. 20th Century Boys blew my socks off, so I knew I had to check out anything Naoki Urasawa had ever written. So that meant Monster and Pluto were insta-buys. Vol.1 of Monster is pretty good, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet.

But Pluto... Vol.1 and 2 of Pluto is quite possibly the greatest comic book experience I've ever had in my LIFE. And I say that coming as a man who's read comics from all over the world for most of his life.

Welcome to the Urasawa Naoki fan club! This poster would, in her not-so-humble-opinion, submit that he's the greatest living mangaka, and one of the best of all time.

Now, if only somebody would license and release the manga version of Yawara!...

Elves wrote:
Those first releases you own already should be from ADV's now closed manga department. This release is from Tokyopop. And I hear ya, I got the first volume with the DVD 1 art box when I bought the anime. I'm just glad to see that Tokyopop picked it up and it's finally available again. Now hopefully the company will see it through to the end.

IS Tokyopop's release essentially the same as ADV's? I mean, I don't have to replace the first three volumes or anything, do I? Anime smile;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3