• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist on April 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Altorrin wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
Just curious: How good is the video quality on Funimation's webstite? What video resolution do they use?

Check yerself.

http://www.funimation.com/

It's very, very average but maybe they'll make an exception for FMA?

Can we Europeans get some feedback too on this?...post a png screenshot or sth...^^

Sorry, sorry.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/vanillamagnolia/funiscreen.png
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Great, it says: "This content is not available in your territory" to me (I live in Italy). -__-'

We are in the internet era and we still have territorial restriction, it's so ridiculous imho!

Long life to fansubbers, I must say... even if this time companies are making steps in the right direction, I think it'll take at least more 3-5 years before legit fansub will be a valid alternative to fansubbers.

Also, I hope that in the future the Japanese animation companies themselves will stream their anime without restrictions to the entire world, making the users paying a fee for a subscription: that way, money would directly go to who is actually making the anime. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Since I can't access the complete episodes on Funimation from my country, I could only try a trailer on the main page of funimation (Trailer for D.Grayman).

The Result:
Video
Format : VP6
Bit rate : 2 000 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.290

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits

I *guess* the actual episodes are similar...
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The good thing about a legit stream is that the subs don't randomly decide to change fonts and add that very stupid, annoying karaoke font that drives me crazy, that karaoke is not that special, and it's too irritating. And another thing, the font will actually be readable, as in size.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation, call me when the DVDs arrive, or when/if YTV airs the series. Better yet, call me when you have DragonBall Kai.

Lames wrote:
Funimation isn't screwing around with, what i'd imagine to be, their bestselling show.

There are people in the world who have internet who haven't heard of DragonBall Z?

Sariachan wrote:
Also, I hope that in the future the Japanese animation companies themselves will stream their anime without restrictions to the entire world, making the users paying a fee for a subscription: that way, money would directly go to who is actually making the anime.

Your logic is funny.

How can the companies make money if they can't use subscriptions? Imbedded ads within videos that are released worldwide are very few because very little amounts of advertisers are willing to advertise worldwide via a niche product.

With stuff like FUNimation is doing at the very least they have a controlled area with ads of their merchandise all over the place.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I hope their subtitles of the second series stand out more than the ones they used for the first. Funimation needs to learn to outline their subtitles better. Look at AnimEigo's as an example of how to do things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Since I can't access the complete episodes on Funimation from my country, I could only try a trailer on the main page of funimation (Trailer for D.Grayman).

The Result:
Video
Format : VP6
Bit rate : 2 000 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.290

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits

I *guess* the actual episodes are similar...

Not at -all-. The episodes are much lower in quality. Anime hyper
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
Cool that they're doing this, but I'll wait for the inevitable Adult Swim broadcast. I hate watching anime on the computer, and I'm a little worried that as this trend continues more shows will be exclusively online streams only.

Personally, I no longer trust Adult Swim. They've shown time and time again that anime is not a big deal for them as it once was a decade ago. You'd think after what happened to Code Geass people would finally draw the line in their trust on the network.

True, but considering the absurd amount of times they've rerun FMA, that obviously shows it brings in decent ratings. The fact that they've chosen to give better time slots to FMA reruns than new episodes of any other anime shows how good FMA has been to them. Whenever Funi dubs this, it's not hard to imagine Adult Swim wanting to air this. And if they don't, I could even see SciFi picking it up. Like Zac said a few posts before, FMA is HUGE. If there is one anime Adult Swim would roll out the red carpet for, it's this one.

And while we're on the subject, I don't quite think what's happened to Code Geass is particularly bad (compared to say Moribito). They're just giving reruns, they didn't pull it from their schedule completely. If anything, it's probably issues on Bandai's end falling behind on the dubbing or something. If CG were doing badly for Adult Swim, they wouldn't decide to air two episodes a week like they're doing now.

configspace wrote:

bahamut623 wrote:
Cool that they're doing this, but I'll wait for the inevitable Adult Swim broadcast. I hate watching anime on the computer, and I'm a little worried that as this trend continues more shows will be exclusively online streams only.

... are you really expecting more anime to show up on US TV? Confused

I wasn't just talking about TV, I mean I would just hate it if they're online only. I'd like DVDs/BluRay/whatever physical format to be an option.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I wasn't just talking about TV, I mean I would just hate it if they're online only. I'd like DVDs/BluRay/whatever physical format to be an option.

I doubt Funimation is going to pass on a DVD release. I mean, the whole point of grabbing us with the subtitle stream is to get us to want to buy high quality DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I think is proof of just how big FMA's staying power is, it's being broadcast in nine countries now! You'll find me at Funi's site counting down the hours...
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Awesome! I'm very glad to hear that FUNimation is on the ball with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Waiting four days to watch it legally isn't a bad trade-off at all. FUNi's video quality is quite good on their free video portal, which is where I would assume they'll be make FMA II available.

True enough but what about the english dub version??? So far i haven't heard abything about that as yet. Not to mentioned will it show on Adult Swim? Cause right now the original FMA is still showing on AS so hopefully it'll show the dub there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Awesome! I'm very glad to hear that FUNimation is on the ball with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Waiting four days to watch it legally isn't a bad trade-off at all. FUNi's video quality is quite good on their free video portal, which is where I would assume they'll be make FMA II available.

True enough but what about the english dub version??? So far i haven't heard abything about that as yet. Not to mentioned will it show on Adult Swim? Cause right now the original FMA is still showing on AS so hopefully it'll show the dub there.

It'll probably be a while before they start on the dub. Posting the subtitled streams will help fight the fansubbers, but dubbing it that quickly is almost unheard of. Kurokami is the only show that I'm aware of which has had an English dub even close to the initial Japanese broadcast. And, personally, while I want the dub and I'd like it soon, I certainly don't want them to rush things and turn out an inferior product because of it. Getting a legally subbed version this quickly is rare enough. Getting a dub this quickly just isn't going to happen - though assuming that quality wasn't compromised by dubbing it that quickly, FMA certainly deserves the simultaneous dub broadcast more than Kurokami does.

In any case, we'll get the dub soon enough - though it'll probably be broadcast on Adult Swim before we get the DVDs (still, the longer it takes for the DVDs, the more likely it is that we'll get it on Blu-ray to begin with rather than having to rebuy it on Blu-ray later). I expect that they'll dub it and release it on Adult Swim sometime later this year (probably in the fall) followed by the singles releases a couple of months later. If they choose to forgo the singles in favor of 13-episode boxed sets like they've started doing, then the DVDs will probably take that much longer to be released (though I expect with something as big as FMA, they'll release it as singles first).

Regardless, getting subs this quickly is good, but the dubs will take a bit longer.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
If people want to watch their fansubs a day after broadcast, they can go watch them. We don't have the power to stop them. However, they and the groups involved aren't going to be earning a lot of respect now considering that FUNimation is working with the original licensors on getting this show out a few days apart from broadcast with full subs and the best video quality money can buy!

For crying out loud, people! Did you see the banner ads for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood floating around on this site today? FUNimation is taking this very seriously! The countdown timer only adds to it on the official site! I say waiting for the official net cast will make the payoff that much more sweeter!
bahamut623 wrote:
True, but considering the absurd amount of times they've rerun FMA, that obviously shows it brings in decent ratings. The fact that they've chosen to give better time slots to FMA reruns than new episodes of any other anime shows how good FMA has been to them. Whenever Funi dubs this, it's not hard to imagine Adult Swim wanting to air this. And if they don't, I could even see SciFi picking it up. Like Zac said a few posts before, FMA is HUGE. If there is one anime Adult Swim would roll out the red carpet for, it's this one.

And while we're on the subject, I don't quite think what's happened to Code Geass is particularly bad (compared to say Moribito). They're just giving reruns, they didn't pull it from their schedule completely. If anything, it's probably issues on Bandai's end falling behind on the dubbing or something. If CG were doing badly for Adult Swim, they wouldn't decide to air two episodes a week like they're doing now.

Be that as it may, I still don't have much faith in the production department in Adult Swim anymore when it comes to anime. I can see that more people are finding online viewing convenient and not subject to the same S+P standards as television.
cnav

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Dang, I think is proof of just how big FMA's staying power is, it's being broadcast in nine countries now! You'll find me at Funi's site counting down the hours...

make that 15 in asia.....plus australia , america and france...that makes it 18...that is just amazin
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
Good news (mainly the simulcast), and pretty much a no-brainer (though it would have been funny if someone else got to it before FUNimation). Now, hopefully the show will actually be good enough to be worth the move...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10