• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost Slayers Ayashi DVD Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well i wouldn't say that.Sure ther cast are forgetable but part 2 goes give it a chance for them and the story in general to develop. Also in my view it sounded better in dub rather in it's sub form. At least the animation is top notch. Even though there's flaws,part 2 should fix that and this one makes it that more interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Man, what a bit of a let down. This series has been in and out of my mind ever since I caught eye of the character designs by Toshiro Kawamoto, who is perhaps my favorite in terms of that. The ones in Ghost Slayer Ayashi really reminded me of Wolf's Rain, which has been one of my favorite series since I first saw it on [as], and the seroies comes from BONES (probably my favorite studio). With such favorite elements coming together, I thought it would be pretty awesome to see come the U.S release.

Well, I guess it's not too much of a loss, come to think of it... I'm busy enough as I already am, with Higurashi Kai still left to finish (haven't seen anymore of it since the middle of March), and it hasn't been too much on my mind. Or... Maybe when I have enough time on my hands, I can see some of it to decide whether I like it or not. Whatever works, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kynoki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Instantly forgettable cast wow how can this dude say that this cast of people are sum big names in anime id say the person who reviewd this may have just saw 1 ep in sed im done this anime is very good one of the few good ones iv seen in some time Laughing
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:32 am Reply with quote
While I don't disagree with your review, I still like this series in spite of its flaws. I guess it's another one to file under "guilty pleasures".
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
kynoki wrote:
Instantly forgettable cast wow how can this dude say that this cast of people are sum big names in anime id say the person who reviewd this may have just saw 1 ep in sed im done this anime is very good one of the few good ones iv seen in some time Laughing
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the characters, and NOT the actors. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd figure he'd say "forgettable performances" in some form if he were referring to the acting cast.

Dough dey ah sum big names, boy-ee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unless you count the unintentional hilarity born of Nishikiori's strange timing (one escape is so badly cobbled together that it resembles a dressed-up Bugs Bunny pratfall)

Carl, seriously, I wonder what in the name of powdered toast you're trying to say half the time when you make these bizarre comparisons.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
While I don't disagree with your review, I still like this series in spite of its flaws. I guess it's another one to file under "guilty pleasures".

How can it be a "guilty pleasure" if it's educational? Wink

I'm really dissapointed. I've had an eye on this series ever since I saw it profiled in Anime Insider magazine (R.I.P.) some time ago. The animation looks stunning and the charactors and plot seemed interesting enough. I think I'll wait for a review of part 2 before I give up checking it out.

Re: Sho Aikawa: if the second, anime-original half of FMA was his idea, it proves he can come up with good, original plotting.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm really dissapointed. I've had an eye on this series ever since I saw it profiled in Anime Insider magazine (R.I.P.) some time ago. The animation looks stunning and the charactors and plot seemed interesting enough. I think I'll wait for a review of part 2 before I give up checking it out.

Re: Sho Aikawa: if the second, anime-original half of FMA was his idea, it proves he can come up with good, original plotting.

Hey, come to think of it, that's how I discovered Ayashi too. Nice synergy going on there.

From what I remember in one of Hiromu Arakawa's omake in the FMA manga (between vol. 7 and 9, I think), I think she pretty much "told the whole story to the studio" (or at least set up the main framework), with a bunch of back and forth discussion on the story. In terms of the creative output from BONES itself, based on the omake, it looked like Director Seiji Mizushima had a lot of creative input, so who knows how much input was left for Aikawa himself.

But yeah, whatever turned up in the end for the second season was still great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Can somebody explain me why this anime talks about Mexican history if the story seens to take place in Feudal Japan?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
This show was a huge disappointment for me. It had a lot of potential but because the pacing was atrocious it failed. It was supposed to be twice as long as it was so it took about 20 episodes to get going but it never got a fanbase so they had to throw it away.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So if you need someone to blame for four hours of your life being drained like a virgin at a vampire potluck, look no further. Or you could just not watch.

Ha ha, niiiiiice! Suck on that, Ebert. It's kind of strange...I'm willing to bet I'll have the same reaction to the material that Carl did, yet I'm also still intrigued. That's one of the nice things about being an anime noob: as long as something is different enough, I can still get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Can somebody explain me why this anime talks about Mexican history if the story seens to take place in Feudal Japan?

Not really sure if this is spoiler material, but I'll mark it just in case.

The character Atl spoiler[is of Aztec descent. When Cortez wiped out the Aztecs, her forefathers fled to Mexico. Through the years they were persecuted there as well and eventually migrated to Texas. It was there she and her family got caught up in the war for Texas independence and she fled to Japan.] In a nutshell.

I found the first part entertaining enough. I'll keep watching.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At first it may seem odd that Aikawa, the same guy who scripted series like The Twelve Kingdoms, Fullmetal Alchemist and RahXephon, could write a stilted, talky stinker like Ayashi. But survey his oeuvre and you'll find that Aikawa, while an extraordinarily gifted adaptor, is a terrible creator. His original creations are all insufferably obsessed with teaching viewers about something, whether it's Japanese politics (Neo Ranga), Japanese history (Clockwork Fighters Hiwou's War), or Japanese mythology (Ayashi). All subtlety is lost in his educational crusade, and all too often so is basic entertainment value. So if you need someone to blame for four hours of your life being drained like a virgin at a vampire potluck, look no further.
Just wanted to say that after watching Neo Ranga, I agree 100% with this statement. The story would've been all right, if not for the constant deluge of narrator asides about Japanese generation gaps, political trends, economic blunders, and how the youth have lost their way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1