• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist on April 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I wonder why they have to wait so long? 4 days is cool once the series is done with and your options for getting it are waiting forever to download it or just start streaming it, but for the FMA fan, fansubs will probably be out within 24 hours of the japanese broadcast.

Just searching on a torrent site, you've got stuff that's been up since the 5th, 4 days before Funi will be showing this. If Crunchyroll can get Naruto, Gintama, Hayate etc, like 4 hours after the jpn broadcast, why does it take Funi 4 days?
Dictated by Aniplex. Beside the premiere at the convention in Australia, no other country can air it before 00:01 4/10 JST.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Dictated by Aniplex. Beside the premiere at the convention in Australia, no other country can air it before 00:01 4/10 JST.

Pretty much, the concept of contracts seem to be lost on some.

Quote:
Fansubs are not meant to compete with a professional product, therefore perfection should not be considered a goal.
Fansubs are not meant to compete with a professional product, therefore the audio/video quality of a fansub should not attempt to match or better the quality of a professional DVD.

Then why are HD fansubs coming out, this clearly breaks fansubber ethics. But then again I don't put much stock in them to begin with.

Found here. animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2003-06-08/2
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
bayoab wrote:

Quote:
Fansubs are not meant to compete with a professional product, therefore perfection should not be considered a goal.
Fansubs are not meant to compete with a professional product, therefore the audio/video quality of a fansub should not attempt to match or better the quality of a professional DVD.

Then why are HD fansubs coming out, this clearly breaks fansubber ethics. But then again I don't put much stock in them to begin with.

Yeah, I remember 2003...
Those were good times...
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
bayoab wrote:

Well, either the contract restricts how early they can release it and/or they don't get the scripts early enough to get the subtitles done before then (particularly since they're not likely to stay up all night translating and subbing as fast as they can like various fansub groups do). I can understand why Aniplex would want the streams to show after the initial broadcast, but I would have thought that a day or so would be enough of a delay. It seems likely, however, that they don't agree - though it would be interesting to know what their reasons for a larger delay are.

LordRedhand wrote:
Quote:

There are plenty of fansubbers who don't agree with that credo. Also, note that the date for that post was before we were really getting HD anime. At that point, DVD was as good as it got. Now, there are times - especially for US releases - anime series can be gotten from the Japanese broadcasts at higher video quality than you could ever buy. And while I know that you don't care about HD, there are others who care a great deal. So, fansub groups are going to provide it.

There are some fansubbers who care about the ethics in the credo that you found - after all the biggest fansubber group for Naruto Shippuden stopped subbing when Viz started streaming subs close to the Japanese broadcast - but I think that the majority of fansub groups don't care all that much about what the R1 companies are up to. Or at least, they're going to continue what they're doing as long as the R1 companies doesn't provide a higher quality product than they do before they do (by however they measure that). And even then, some aren't going to care.

It's great the Funimation is going to be streaming FMA, but even if what the fansubbers do is morally wrong, that won't stop them from doing it. They have their reasons for doing so regardless of what Funimation does.
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Well, either the contract restricts how early they can release it and/or they don't get the scripts early enough to get the subtitles done before then (particularly since they're not likely to stay up all night translating and subbing as fast as they can like various fansub groups do). I can understand why Aniplex would want the streams to show after the initial broadcast, but I would have thought that a day or so would be enough of a delay. It seems likely, however, that they don't agree - though it would be interesting to know what their reasons for a larger delay are.

Even Gyao isn't putting it up till 4/10 and that's in Japan. This is definitely a date restriction.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I thought it was obvious that I was referring to english subs. Guess not. Rolling Eyes

Even if you was, where did I write that I watch Italian fansubs? I only watch English ones (I've my reasons).

Of course, I would watch Italian too, if "necessary", but just check some torrents sites and see where are from the people who had to download fansubs to see the first episode of FMA: I saw people from Chile, Morocco, Norway and other Countries where they don't know Italian for sure.

I love my language, but if fansubs wish to make something for the fandom communities, they should use a language that's more widely used than mine, and only three come in mind: English, Spanish and Chinese.

Also, for people who live in Countries covered by official releases: couldn't they just watch both fansubs and the official streaming/broadcasting, and then even buy the DVDs or Blu-Ray when they come out?
Really people, if you want to support the anime industry you can in many ways, and fansubs can't (or shouldn't) prevent you to do that, if you really want to support it...
And for the others, well, I guess they wouldn't support it anyway, fansubs or not fansubs.

People who really like anime/manga know that they have to buy the official publications and/or merchandise... or do you honestly believe that anime and manga fans think that anime and manga are made for free by Japanese people? Wink

Anyway, sorry if I was a bit OT here, even if I don't think I was given the topic in hand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
slykura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
hello just a correction - the Australian website is actually madman.com.au not madman.com
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Just to follow up on what I said earlier in this thread.

I did some quick math on the various trackers, bots, that I have access to. In the <4 days since the fansubs have started appearing (and still before the legal streams start), there have been at least 250,000 downloads of the English subtitled files. This does not include p2p networks, direct downloads, usenet, or video stream site views.

Many more downloads for untranslated Japanese and other languages, of course.
Ergzay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
To anyone who is pissed about the anime not being region locked to not their region:
Google proxy websites and find a proxy that is located inside one of the locked websites. This way you can easily stream it from outside the country, I've done this many times for region locked Nico Nico Douga videos from japan. It is very easy to do and I don't think it breaks any laws.
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Ergzay wrote:
To anyone who is pissed about the anime not being region locked to not their region:
Google proxy websites and find a proxy that is located inside one of the locked websites. This way you can easily stream it from outside the country, I've done this many times for region locked Nico Nico Douga videos from japan. It is very easy to do and I don't think it breaks any laws.

Yes it does, you are not supposed to watch it in the first place. So, if you are in a country region that is not supported from the industry, go for the fansubs, they are faster and (at this point) more HQ anyway. Wink

Quote:
I did some quick math on the various trackers, bots, that I have access to. In the <4 days since the fansubs have started appearing (and still before the legal streams start), there have been at least 250,000 downloads of the English subtitled files. This does not include p2p networks, direct downloads, usenet, or video stream site views.

Many more downloads for untranslated Japanese and other languages, of course.

Yep, these are the numbers by now. Of course, we have to factor in the fact that a big chunk of those DLs comes from other countries (I'd say, more than half). But still, we are talking about at least 100k people from the USA.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Even if you was, where did I write that I watch Italian fansubs? I only watch English ones (I've my reasons).

Well, it seemed from your post that you were implying foreign fansubs earlier but if you weren't, then I apologize.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10