• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Gallery in Japan - Jamie Lano

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
She shouldn't be posting such any pics of herself, or she might find more fanboys hitting on her. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Chocolaaaaaaate.

She should check out that Wallflower episode. Laughing

Quote:
Why people are asked to turn off their cell phones in the special areas at the front of train cars, but they can stand right next to the area and use one all they like.

I'm guessing they're worried about steering equipment interference.

Quote:
I also don't understand why much of Japan bans smoking outside but allows it inside enclosed buildings.

Because they care more about their air quality than we do? I think it's cus they have a culture of personal space where second-hand smoke is a faux pas.

Quote:
I also don't understand how a bathroom can have a toilet with a heated seat and a bidet that also plays music to hide your noises right next to a stall with a cold and dirty squat toilet.

That might be one of those negative consequences of their "employment for life" policies, since I imagine that's the only way their janitors would continue to find work.

Quote:
she decided to take a year-long trip to Japan to work as an English Teacher.

Lucky for her, since I hear those programs are being phased out nowadays.

Quote:
As she was growing up, Jamie first took an interest in serialized Disney shows such as Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin.

Represent!

Quote:
For Jamie, the portrayal of characters in Masakazu Katsura's I"s manga, specifically females, became one of the things that helped show her the potential manga held. "[I"s] was superb... realistic,

Had to ROFL at that last comment. Though I'm surprised it has a female audience at all here.

Quote:
The advertisement mentioned that Konomi didn't mind if the assistants on his project were newbies or not, which meant that someone without professional experience - like Jamie - could apply.

Gawd, I almost never get those kinds of vacancies! That's really lucky!

Quote:
Konomi himself would be picking her up from the train station.

Jeez, they never pick me up for interviews, either! They expect me to do all the leg work. Man, I love Japanese courtesy.

Quote:
In one instance, Jamie was adding tennis racquets an image where the character's arms were already in the picture.

Just some grammatical issues w/ that sentence.

Quote:
"I really want to debut [with my own series]," says Jamie, who is hoping that her future work can weave together the kind of all-audiences storylines that made manga so compelling to her.

Good luck. If those a-holes at DC weren't so clueless about comics for women, maybe you could've saved Minx. Wink

Quote:
It wasn't inspired by any one thing, aside from the fact that I used to work in Akihabara, and I've always been fascinated with a post-apocalyptic world.

If she's also into Hokuto No Ken and Legend of Mother Sarah, I wanna marry her! Embarassed

Anyway, Konomi looks good for a guy who's almost 40. I'm curious about his exercise regimen.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
What a coincidence, We have NHK World on our Sky platform here in the UK, and they have a programme called "Imagine-Nation", all about Japanese pop culture. On this one segment they went to this free and open art gallery in Akihabara, where anyone can come in and practice their art, and there Jamie was actually drawing that concept picture for her manga, Comitia Cut, the one in black and white. the place was full of foreign people all busy scribbling away, a few locals as well by looks of it.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wow.

I was friends with her roommate about a year ago and we hung out once or twice. When I read the name before it didn't click until I saw her picture.
To be completely honest, I chalked her up as one of those dreamer english teacher types who would just hang around in Japan teaching english for the rest of their lives, although she definitely was passionate about art.
But it seems that she got her big break! Good luck to her, there's still a long road ahead.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:01 am Reply with quote
It's obvious that her work with New Prince of Tennis has helped her artistic skills- at least, in terms of conforming to manga norms. Usually, I can tell when a non-Japanese attempts manga-style, but her work blends in seamlessly. There is a lot of credibility in her advice for aspiring manga artists to intern in Japan.

Quote:
Jamie: Well, I've never really watched a lot of tv, especially recently, so I'm not sure what the current image is. If I remember right, the general image of a foreigner was that they couldn't speak japanese well and were kind of treated as a joke.

Wow- now, (at least, I hope) she might realize what it's like to be an ethnic minority in the U.S.!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
Wow, I really liked her art, but I wish that their had been more shown here. Oh well, that's what the links are for (and I agree, the Japanese toilets sound strange...).
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
*cries tears of joy* Represent, dawg, represent!

(It's so sad that I'm destined to be a vet. Being an artist and being an English teacher in Japan seem fun--although they probably don't get paid much.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey Gatsu, since when are those programs being phased out? I heard they're still looking for English teachers these days.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy for her big break, but it made me laugh when she said it's important to find your own drawing style. All the artwork posted are quite derivative of famous manga artists... =/
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why people are asked to turn off their cell phones in the special areas at the front of train cars, but they can stand right next to the area and use one all they like.

GATSU wrote:
I'm guessing they're worried about steering equipment interference.

She was referring to the priority seats at the front of each train car. It has nothing to do with the electronics at the front of the train.

As for the reason, there is a concern that cell phones may interfere with medical equipment used by people using the priority seats (ie: pace-makers).

What she finds perplexing is that you are asked to turn off your phone when seated there, yet people 2 feet away can use their phone (no talking though) all they want.

My memory of the sign and the recording, in English, is that they ask people to turn off their phones when near the priority seats, not only when sitting on them.

Perhaps it's different from one train line to another...

-t
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
She shouldn't be posting such any pics of herself, or she might find more fanboys hitting on her. Rolling Eyes

Jealous much? Razz

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
I also don't understand why much of Japan bans smoking outside but allows it inside enclosed buildings.

Because they care more about their air quality than we do? I think it's cus they have a culture of personal space where second-hand smoke is a faux pas.

Of one of the world's largest tobacco companies, the Japanese government is the largest shareholder. Keep that in mind. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
she decided to take a year-long trip to Japan to work as an English Teacher.

Lucky for her, since I hear those programs are being phased out nowadays.

With the crash of Nova (Japan's largest English-teaching company) a few years ago, there's a glut of English "teachers" in Japan. Then comes the global financial crisis....

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
As she was growing up, Jamie first took an interest in serialized Disney shows such as Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin.

Represent!

I prefer Gummy Bears myself. Laughing

GATSU wrote:

Quote:
The advertisement mentioned that Konomi didn't mind if the assistants on his project were newbies or not, which meant that someone without professional experience - like Jamie - could apply.

Gawd, I almost never get those kinds of vacancies! That's really lucky!

Quote:
Konomi himself would be picking her up from the train station.

Jeez, they never pick me up for interviews, either! They expect me to do all the leg work. Man, I love Japanese courtesy.

Maybe the novelty and publicity of a female Caucasian as an assistant........ Hey, just speculatin'! Laughing

GATSU wrote:

Anyway, Konomi looks good for a guy who's almost 40. I'm curious about his exercise regimen.

Asians tend to age gracefully, donchaknow. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
I loved this interview. I just kept saying "wow"! This girl is so positive! She's older than me and she's not even jaded by life yet (or maybe some people never become jaded, lol).

Then I went over to her blog and saw this:

Quote:
I also had to suddenly move last week.. It's a long story, but basically I wasn't able to stay in my house anymore (it was very sudden), and so I had to find a new place. I'm staying in a temporary place in Kichijoji, until I can find and afford a nice apartment. But it's going to mean pretty much starting over when it comes to all of my furniture, etc. I guess that's not so bad. They're only things, and I can replace them all eventually. I kept the things that are most important to me, and I found out who some of my real friends are. So it's not entirely a bad situation, even if it's uncomfortable. Trials are where one's true character comes out, right?

This makes me feel so guilty--I've gotta move in June, and I've been complaining about it for months. And here is someone who isn't even fluent in the language of the country where she lives, and she takes the...miserable situation of having to move without notice in stride. Look at that quote: "I guess it's not so bad. They're only things, and I can replace them all eventually."

Jamie, I don't know a thing about art, and I can't draw a straight line. But I love manga, and I wish I had half the attitude you do.
Very Happy This girl's my new hero! Embarassed
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:28 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I loved this interview. I just kept saying "wow"! This girl is so positive! She's older than me and she's not even jaded by life yet (or maybe some people never become jaded, lol).

Then I went over to her blog and saw this:

Quote:
I also had to suddenly move last week.. It's a long story, but basically I wasn't able to stay in my house anymore (it was very sudden), and so I had to find a new place. I'm staying in a temporary place in Kichijoji, until I can find and afford a nice apartment. But it's going to mean pretty much starting over when it comes to all of my furniture, etc. I guess that's not so bad. They're only things, and I can replace them all eventually. I kept the things that are most important to me, and I found out who some of my real friends are. So it's not entirely a bad situation, even if it's uncomfortable. Trials are where one's true character comes out, right?

This makes me feel so guilty--I've gotta move in June, and I've been complaining about it for months. And here is someone who isn't even fluent in the language of the country where she lives, and she takes the...miserable situation of having to move without notice in stride. Look at that quote: "I guess it's not so bad. They're only things, and I can replace them all eventually."

Jamie, I don't know a thing about art, and I can't draw a straight line. But I love manga, and I wish I had half the attitude you do.
Very Happy This girl's my new hero! Embarassed

That house in Kichijouji she moved to is where I met her. My friend was staying in her room... If I recall, Jamie did seem to have a lot of stuff. She had been living in Japan for years before that so I guess she collected a lot of things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1