• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prime Minister Asō: Anime, Manga Are Part of Japan's Recovery

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiamats Reviews

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
lol wonder where these jobs and cash will come from. From wha I've seen most anime studios seem to be shedding jobs left right and center.
revilenigma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what manga Aso reads?
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:

He doesn't read any now since getting the top job, but his nickname back when he was running for the job a few years ago was "Rozen Aso." You guess what he reads.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Well hey, more power to him. Anywhere now the economy is hitting hard on countries, but they have to find business opportunities in places that have the potential of growth.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well hey, more power to him. Anywhere now the economy is hitting hard on countries, but they have to find business opportunities in places that have the potential of growth.
But just where's this "growth" could be, that Japanese Prime Minister Tarō Asō kept mentioning about the Japanese "soft power" in anime, manga, and similar areas of culture? It's most definitely not in the niche and unhealthy domestic Japanese anime and manga subcultural market, otherwise he wouldn't have used anime as an example of cultural exchange in South Korea and Russia, or talked about his manga hobby on Tokyo International Film Festival.

Come on people, do I have to spell it out for ya?!

Then again, I am only 2 posts away from my 300th ANN forum post milestone. So... Rolling Eyes
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
revilenigma wrote:

He doesn't read any now since getting the top job, but his nickname back when he was running for the job a few years ago was "Rozen Aso." You guess what he reads.

I believe you mean to say "He doesn't openly read any now."

You can bet he secretly reads something.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Save the world with anime. \o/
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Everyone in Japan reads manga. He might not openly be watching late night ecchi but it's not a big deal if he likes One Piece.
Still if he wants anime and manga to be apart of the recovery then the industry if going to have to appeal to more people. Were getting more Queens Blade and Kanokon every season and less of stuff that would appeal to non otaku (and that means even casual viewers like many of us label ourselves as)
Besides the super popular shounen series and the stuff like Sazae san and Shin Chan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
If the PM is serious about expanding Japan's anime profits, he should make sure that creating new seasons of Full Metal Panic becomes a national priority.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As he did when he was foreign minister, Asō has used anime as an example of cultural exchange in South Korea and Russia. However, Studio Ghibli co-founder and director Hayao Miyazaki has criticized Asō's public emphasis on his manga reading and downplayed the use of Japanese entertainment to promote the country and to raise its youth

That made me lol. Its like a misguided otaku has risen to power and started raving, "Hey its awsome we will use the power of love and anime and manga to SAVE OUR COUNTRY!", all shounen burning passion style.
And Miyazaki is all, "Woah, calm down there, fanboy"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Liclac Atra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I personally would like there to be a weekly political 4koma about Asō's wacky adventures trying to fix the Japanese economy with anime/manga.
PhoenixHeart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Liclac Atra wrote:
I personally would like there to be a weekly political 4koma about Asō's wacky adventures trying to fix the Japanese economy with anime/manga.

lol, oh yes indeed - that would be grand Very Happy If successful, there would be a KyoAnime anime made to it! *_*

But seriously - in one term I agree - I also believe there is a lot of unused potential in marketing of anime & manga. But just as zanarkand princess put it - there would be have to be more series with a wide audience in mind and less awkwardi'fying content.

Let's see, if I were to create a internationally succesful and markatable anime series I'd try taking some inspiration by the most succesful *real* TV & book series. Take LOST for example - a nearly worldwide success yet it's full of elements that could have made their way into an average anime too. Flashbacks, moody characters of many types, dark pasts, time travel, love triangle, über-drama, male tsundere (lol!) etc. you get the deal. Or Harry Potter, no need to even get started on that one :Laughing:

So we neet a mutation of Lost, Scrubs, Harry Potter and.. uh.. Pokemon! That would save Japan. Somebody please make a collage now.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
revilenigma wrote:

Hell, I wonder what manga does he smokes.... 360000+ jobs per year. If he does, I'll make him a shrine.

BTW How come one site (Xinhuanet) says 4 million jobs and the other (google) talks about 1.4 to 2 million? there'sa big difference....
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Aso doesn't strike me as a terribly intelligent or resourceful leader, and he's from the same braindead party as the other recently disgraced numbskulls who came before him. Still, without the LDP's longtime stranglehold on Japanese government we wouldn't have nearly as many politicians to laugh at. Few other countries can provide us with high ranking officials who are willing to show up to a podium while intoxicated or praise the exploits of rapists in public. Japan's government is one of the longest running freakshows in recent memory and Aso is just keeping the seat warm until the next buffoon comes along to replace him. His grandiose views of anime exports saving the nation are just par for the course.

Long live the LDP!

zanarkand princess wrote:
Everyone in Japan reads manga.

Um, what?

He might not openly be watching late night ecchi but it's not a big deal if he likes One Piece.

Again, what?

that means even casual viewers like many of us label ourselves as

Self labels don't count for much. Anyone who's posting on ANN on a regular basis probably isn't all that "casual" of a viewer.

Just saying.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

Everyone in Japan reads manga.

Um, what?

Most everyone in Japan read some sort of manga. Shounen weekly, ribon, something. Not the types of manga you see otaku reading but mainstream stuff. Naruto, NANA like that.

He might not openly be watching late night ecchi but it's not a big deal if he likes One Piece
Again, what article are you reading, because I'm not seeing anything about that.

I was replying to another poster who said that he doesn't read manga now that he's the PM. Manga doesn't have as much of a stigma as anime.

that means even casual viewers like many of us label ourselves as

Self labels don't count for much. Anyone who's posting on ANN on a regular basis probably isn't all that "casual" of a viewer.
[/quote]
Compared to Japanese "otaku" most of us are
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3