• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer Linebarrels of Iron, Strike Witches

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Polly E. wrote:

Just my opinions here...

Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I really would like to hear what people think of the show, as far is the effectiveness of the plot is concerned, is it a compelling story, etc.

And what about Linebarrels of Iron? Besides that you can already watch it on Crunchyroll. Any vibes, good or bad for that one?

Well, Strike Witches is an enjoyable show if you can get over the fanservice, but I recommend Simoun instead. It has a more believable and likable cast of characters, better CGI models, an overall better plot and more episodes. And no silly fanservice.
Nebs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I find it amusing that ANN actually used the term "lolicon" to describe the series in the article. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Linebarrels was hard to watch for the two episodes I gave it. Strike Witches was fun, but it's still pedophilia to the max, and I don't usually care about that stuff. There's no good reason why they're pantless, they just are.

Maybe GONZO offered them up cheap?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Or it was a bundle package. Neither of these shows were particularly well received in america as far as I can tell, or maybe it was a condition in the contract.
12xan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that they just want a quick buck by releasing Linebarrels and Strike Witches on (assuming) Sub-only DVD.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Funi doesn't do sub only. MB would do that but Funi treats every show almost like an top tier show.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
12xan wrote:
It seems to me that they just want a quick buck by releasing Linebarrels and Strike Witches on (assuming) Sub-only DVD.

Doesn't look like it to me. Judging from the official placeholder site-thingy I assume the DVDs aren't even coming till 2010. Don't think it'd take that long to do a sub-only release.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Funi doesn't do sub only. MB would do that but Funi treats every show almost like an top tier show.

Where do they get the money for this? They can't keep licensing every piece of shit Japan squeezes out. Dragonaut and Linebarrels were downright not good shows, things that shouldn't be brought over because if it's FUNi, they'll waste money dubbing 48 episodes for a set of shows that won't sell well. I know they want to help GONZO out, but they're hurting themselves in the process. There are far greater shows out there that we'll never see, and when we do see utter crap like this getting the green-light, it's irritating! Where's our Dennou Coil or Spice and Wolf, or Moyashimon? You know, shows people actually like.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
FUNi's reached a new low. Laughing

ANN used the word "lolicon". Cool
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Great news.

I'm sure this thread will be filled with hypocritical pseudo-moralists complaining about chibi characters and panty shots, so I'm going to leave this thread now so you can wallow in your own annoying tripe without me reading it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Where do they get the money for this? They can't keep licensing every piece of shit Japan squeezes out.

Funimation does more than just anime. they also have the rights to all those tween shows (Degrassi, etc.) that come out of Canada, among other things.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Where do they get the money for this? They can't keep licensing every piece of shit Japan squeezes out. Dragonaut and Linebarrels were downright not good shows, things that shouldn't be brought over because if it's FUNi, they'll waste money dubbing 48 episodes for a set of shows that won't sell well. I know they want to help GONZO out, but they're hurting themselves in the process. There are far greater shows out there that we'll never see, and when we do see utter crap like this getting the green-light, it's irritating! Where's our Dennou Coil or Spice and Wolf, or Moyashimon? You know, shows people actually like.

Wow otaku complaining that company dubs too many anime. And I wonder why I get sick of your negative, self-loathing attitudes so easily. Funimation has a huge market share, so obviously they're doing something right. If you ran the company, they would probably be bankrupt right now.

Last edited by jsyxx on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation censors ANYTHING in Strike Witches, I'm asking for a full refund. I want my lolis untouched thank you very much Anime hyper I'm sure selling this at a retail store will go swell when adults see their children pulling out a dvd box that shows girls wearing no pants
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I wonder the same thing sometimes, but then again they have more sources of income then the other companies. They have the channel, streaming online, licenses to shows people buy regularly and a larger company behind them. Maybe because the made smarter decisions then the other companies in the past about licensing they can afford to do this now. Also when Gonzo gets back on their feet (if they do) odds are Funimation will have some say in things and will get some revenue back too. That's good for us as American fans too.

Quote:
I'm sure this thread will be filled with hypocritical pseudo-moralists complaining about chibi characters and panty shots, so I'm going to leave this thread now so you can wallow in your own annoying tripe without me reading it.

No one attacked you, and everyone can have their own opinion. Just like I can say people whining about other people who find shows like Strike Witches creepy and inappropriate annoy me.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Where do they get the money for this? They can't keep licensing every piece of shit Japan squeezes out.

I'd like to point out that Strike Witches is Gonzo's greatest financial success in DVD sales, ever. It's far from a "piece of shit."

Also, I could see myself and other SW fans buying something like 3-5 copies of each DVD volume. You know, it's otonagai.

Now I have to wonder about the format and extras. It is Funimation, so I doubt we'll see much, but getting the Voice CD's would be really cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 23