• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love*Com's Nakahara to Launch Berry Dynamite Manga Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
Sounds uninspired...
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
sounds like it's a bit inspired by Lovecom, which is just as bad. Don't get me wrong I loved lovecom, but why does it seem like a lot of mangaka can only write one story?
lys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
Huh. I didn't get that impression at all from reading this. Maybe I'm just a Nakahara-sensei fangirl, but for one thing the main characters are both girls (unless there's some shoujo-trick to be pulled that I'm unaware of), which right away makes the story a bit different from most shoujo manga. If the fact that the characters bicker is the only reason you relate the work to LoveCom, I'd have to think there's a lot more to the story than that one aspect (in both this series and LoveCom). Maybe it's just that Nakahara-sensei is good at writing hilarious "bickering-dialogue."

Anyway, I think it sounds like fun. I hope I get to read it one day!
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Huh. I didn't get that impression at all from reading this. Maybe I'm just a Nakahara-sensei fangirl, but for one thing the main characters are both girls (unless there's some shoujo-trick to be pulled that I'm unaware of), which right away makes the story a bit different from most shoujo manga. If the fact that the characters bicker is the only reason you relate the work to LoveCom, I'd have to think there's a lot more to the story than that one aspect (in both this series and LoveCom). Maybe it's just that Nakahara-sensei is good at writing hilarious "bickering-dialogue."

Anyway, I think it sounds like fun. I hope I get to read it one day!

It's not just the bickering duo aspect it's the bickering duo that happen to be opposites. In lovecom the bickering duo only appeared to be different (height) but were very much the same (personality). In this she she made the duo both girls and flipped difference: a bickering duo who appear to be the same (singing idols) but actually very different (both like different genres of music). Kind of like Nakahara's writing of this series, appears to be different but actually very much the same. Don't get me wrong, I could be wrong about it all and if I am then more power to Nakahara, but it just seems like when a mangaka writes a sucessful manga everything after that one break out hit seems to be molded as some sort of archtype of what the old story was. Again I could be wrong, I've read a chapter or two of some of Nakahara's stuff that seemed very dynamic, but then again all of that stuff was pre-lovecom success so we'll see...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It definitely sounds like it works off a similar concept but I think that overall it could be a very different story. Definitely worth checking out, at least.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It does sound Love Com-ish but it also sounds interesting so I'll try it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Love Com was epic win, what are you guys complaining about? That's the trend of Nakahara's stories, just check out all of her older ones and you'll find that they are what makes Nakahara's writing style.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Love Com was epic win, what are you guys complaining about? That's the trend of Nakahara's stories, just check out all of her older ones and you'll find that they are what makes Nakahara's writing style.

I loved lovecom, but working off of the same formula isn't the same as developing a writing style. It just isn't Confused
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Still, the formula is something that will sell pretty much everywhere, hence why it can be used again and again. It's a matter of what you plug into the formula, and how far you can draw it out. Love Com did pretty well for going 17 volumes into the wake, while her longest series before that was three. Something to consider, and hopefully she can carry on with this upcoming series.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Still, the formula is something that will sell pretty much everywhere, hence why it can be used again and again. It's a matter of what you plug into the formula, and how far you can draw it out. Love Com did pretty well for going 17 volumes into the wake, while her longest series before that was three. Something to consider, and hopefully she can carry on with this upcoming series.

I've never been a fan of the plug and chug of same formula when it comes to mangaka and their series. But I suppose its just a difference in a opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1