• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Final Fantasy VII: ACC Sells 100K+ BDs on 1st Day

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:04 am Reply with quote
I really wonder how much the FFXIII demo figured into those sales. Still, taking everything into account, that's still great sales.
jsc315

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm actually more happy to see Lupin on that list. Considering Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostrois probably one of the best anime movies in general.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
That list is presented just to prove that it outsold 2008's #1 by a landslide of over 600k units, and ALMOST more than the Top 10 combined! I thought they weren't releasing it over here; I'm glad to see that's not the case!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Further proof that the very first thing Square should have done way back when they did Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was scrap that title and make Final Fantasy 7: The Movie. I never could figure out why they thought a totally new and unrelated to any of the games movie would be a huge success when they had FF7's insanely huge fanbase practically begging to give them money if they'd just do something based on that game.

Also, wow on the sale numbers. While this is probably a combination of greater Blu-Ray sales overall combined with a big hit, it's still very impressive to see those kinds of sale numbers.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 am Reply with quote
I'm sure this had nothing to do with the combined hype of anything FF7 related along with the fact the highly anticipated FF13 demo was included...
Reminds me of when the MGS2 demo was bundled with Zone of the Enders, leading an otherwise average game to sell millions... lol
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Further proof that the very first thing Square should have done way back when they did Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was scrap that title and make Final Fantasy 7: The Movie. I never could figure out why they thought a totally new and unrelated to any of the games movie would be a huge success when they had FF7's insanely huge fanbase practically begging to give them money if they'd just do something based on that game.

Because at the time, they had no idea how long lasting FF7's fandom would be, and the tradition was to never make a sequel to a FF Game. Every FF game featured a new world and cast either vaguely connected or totally seperate from the last game, so the movie took a similar approach.

I think Advent Children was the first actual direct sequel to a FF game of any sort.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I think Advent Children was the first actual direct sequel to a FF game of any sort.

Not quite. Technically Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals OVA was released back in 1994, which takes place quite a number of years after Final Fantasy V. There was also Final Fatansy X-2 which takes place after the first game, as well as being linked to VII as a prequel.

So no, it really wasn't.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Just on the first day. That means cheddar rolled into accounts here and there. Hopefully that gives them incentive to clean up on some other anime series, or we could look at more for the Final Fantasy series as well.
revilenigma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I never really cared for that movie, it was such an insult to the original game, why is reeves still using cait sith? why is cloud so emo? he was such a badass at the end of ff7, why does he keep talking to aeris? she's dead! same with Zach. None of this movie makes much sense.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
A two month wait for worldwide releases is still stupid, the smaller time it has to get on P2P software the less impact illegal downloading is going to have : /

Pathetic! Good sales though.
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing most of these people bought the FFXIII demo, rather than for just the new version of Advent Children.
Personally I don't do anything past the original game. So no X-2, Crisis Core, Last Order, Dirge of Cerberus, Legend of the Crystals, Advent Children, or any other crummy thing I've forgotten for me.
Except maybe for The After, if it turns out to be as good as I've heard.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I know WHY it sold so well.
(1) Its a complete series
(2) Its on sale for only 3591 yen
(3) Comparable BD discs sell for 7980 yen for 2 episodes

And they wondered why it sold 100k copies...

PRICE PRICE PRICE

that's it in a nutshell...
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Sales will continue to climb over the week no doubt... Could also help sell some mroe PS3s in Japan.

I never played FF7 or any of it's related games, but I downloaded FF7: Advent Children just to check it out because I like CG movies and it looked really cool. I enjoyed it greatly. No doubt the success of the movie is due to its spectacular action sequences and the quality of its CG is impressive too! I bought the film on DVD and even on UMD! I also recently picked up Crisis Core: FF7 on a whim.

I was looking forward to getting this film on blu-ray, especially for the additional scenes, but I'm hearing some disturbing things that the original films scenes aren't HD and are just upscaled while only the new scenes are in true HD... If so then that really sucks! Also I'm disapointed that the animated Madhouse short Last Order:FF7 isn't included as an extra yet again. It should've been there with the first DVD release. It was in Japan's special edition but never in NA... So I guess my downloaded copy is the only way for me to watch it.

It might've been nice to get the FFXIII demo, but it's unlikely we'll ever see one until localization gets underway and the Japanese version isn't even finished yet and not due out until the end of the year. Also given that the demo is over 5 Gigs makes it unlikely to be released over PSN or Xbox Live, and its likely that they won't release any demo until they figure out the porting process for the Xbox 360.

Anyway it seems that there'll be some kind of special previews for the NA version of Advent Children, so hopefully it'll be new entirely never before seen trailers/videos for FFXIII and hopefully at least a new never before seen trailer for Versus XIII.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Those numbers are amazing, I'm happy because I really enjoyed this money and since there is a release for North America, I'm probably 100% I'm gonna buy it.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I know WHY it sold so well.
(1) Its a complete series
(2) Its on sale for only 3591 yen
(3) Comparable BD discs sell for 7980 yen for 2 episodes

And they wondered why it sold 100k copies...

PRICE PRICE PRICE

that's it in a nutshell...

I agree with this. Macross Frontier and Geass R2 Blu-Ray are ridiculously expensive....and here they are selling a Blu-Ray of the 3 year old FFVII AC with some extra footage at half the price...of course sales will sky rocket. The price of this Blu-Ray is less than that of a DVD for newly released series!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2