• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Say Hello to Black Jack Web Chapters to Be Priced at Y30

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Seems like a pretty reasonable price, but:
Quote:
As of April 21, the business model he is currently considering would allow users to "purchase" manga to read anytime within one year.
is a deal killer. Time-limited sales implicitly means DRM, and almost certainly a single reader application. Unless whoever is selling the chapters can create an utterly perfect, bug free, runs on every platform ever, be-all-and-end-all monolithic reader application, you'll probably need to break the DRM and read the files how you personally want to.
No two people have the same attitudes on how to read ebooks (or emanga, or ecomics, etc). Some will only use a portable e-ink reader. Some will be happy with scrolling around a single page on a tiny low-resolution iphone screen. Some will want to display full colour high resolution images of two pages side-by-side on a large widescreen monitor. Some may rotate their monitor to see a single page several times 'life size'. There are applications to do all these things, often several that operate in different ways with different interfaces, across a huge range of devices and operating systems. If a file has DRM, 99% of these options disappear, and you end up with a lot of dissatisfied customers or worse, very few customers at all.
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd like to see some sort of Print On Demand system via preorders for people that want to support him via physical volumes, but this is a start. I'll support him. It's always hard being the first guy to do something new, especially in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1