• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Unicorn Anime Officially Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Truly awesome news of a new UC Gundam series, based off a book or not. It's been too long.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
It should probably be noted that this is a movie, not a TV series.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:

Either way I'm really excited about it. I wonder if the mecha will be significantly re-designed; since most Gunpla fans would probably have bought the MG Gundam Unicorn, and Sinanju by then I'd think Bandai would also want sell "movie versions" of those kits too. Though perhaps they'll just be "movie colors."
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
edzieba wrote:

Either way I'm really excited about it. I wonder if the mecha will be significantly re-designed; since most Gunpla fans would probably have bought the MG Gundam Unicorn, and Sinanju by then I'd think Bandai would also want sell "movie versions" of those kits too. Though perhaps they'll just be "movie colors."

It's a true shame that stuff like Gundam and Macross can't have adaptions of established works simply because models kits already exists. All you have to do is re-make the kit, maybe change one little piece, and call it brand new. Bam, problem solved, otaku fork over the dough hand over fist for that kit. Either way, it's the merchandising aspect that really holds Gundam back from what it could be.

As for the movies, I have high hopes. I'll always prefer movies over TV series just for the higher budget that movies get which I believe absolutely benefit the story. Anything UC is great as I feel no AU has just been built up as much, or they simply rip everything from UC, like CE. And it's not like there hasn't been anything UC since 08th MS, we've also got MS IGLOO, an extremely grizzly OVA series about the One Year War, it's brilliant.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
All you have to do is re-make the kit, maybe change one little piece, and call it brand new.
That's what Bandai already do. All the time. For example, they've recent brought out ANOTHER MG Unicorn kit, which is identical to the previous MG except with a slightly metallic coating on the white parts.
Quote:
Either way, it's the merchandising aspect that really holds Gundam back from what it could be.
Even back to 0079, the series was just a vehicle to sell the toys/kits. Gundam has never been anything else.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:

It's probably neither. The interview from Gundam Ace had the director saying that Episode 1 was done, so unless there are multiple movies, its not one. And Sunrise has already announced that there wouldn't be a TV series this year.

The only option left is OVA/ONA, and IMO that's what its going to be.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
edzieba wrote:

It's probably neither. The interview from Gundam Ace had the director saying that Episode 1 was done, so unless there are multiple movies, its not one. And Sunrise has already announced that there wouldn't be a TV series this year.

Probably even better then, unless it's an ONA. ONA translates to shitty quality because the only way to see it is on the net via a shitty stream. OVA on the otherhand means the director and staff can put a lot of work into it and release when needed, and make it more hardcore for the more diehard fans, rather than something flaky and shallow like more of the recent TV series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's a series of movies.

Anyway, I'm upset by the lack of Tomino involvement, but not surprised. He did previously say he was leaving Gundam to a younger generation to deal with.

Also, I really hope Kumiko Takahashi stays as close to Yas' character designs as possible. They're really classic UC, and to have them intact will bring such wonderful novelty to the character designs. Yas is a great character designer besides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Truly awesome news of a new UC Gundam series, based off a book or not. It's been too long.

MS Igloo 2's been to long?
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It's a true shame that stuff like Gundam and Macross can't have adaptions of established works simply because models kits already exists. All you have to do is re-make the kit, maybe change one little piece, and call it brand new. Bam, problem solved, otaku fork over the dough hand over fist for that kit. Either way, it's the merchandising aspect that really holds Gundam back from what it could be.

That's why I was suprised to see that UNICORN was adapted; since the two main MS were already available as MG kits and most of the other mecha are variations of ones that appeared in CCA, I though it would never get an anime adaption because of limited merchandising. I would love to see an adaption of SENTINAL, the ASTRAY series, ECOLE DU CIEL, or a re-make of the original based on Tomino's novel or the ORIGIN manga, but I know those will never happen, mainly because of merchandising. But since I'm a hardcore Gunpla fan I really can't complain about Bandai's merchandising too much.
RenTers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
Great news.

And here I've been looking at my Unicorn Gundam model, wondering when I'll ever get to see him on the TV.
Magamish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I was quite happy to hear of this future adaptation. =D
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
darkhunger wrote:
edzieba wrote:

Wouldn't Winter technically begin 2010? Unless you're going to start a new series right before Christmas, which is a completely asinine time. So I'd say this is probably coming out January 2010 and it will be a TV series. Then Sunrise wasn't liars because they said there wouldn't be a TV series THIS year (2009).
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

MS Igloo 2's been to long?

Cute. I was thinking more of a traditionally animated series, and it helps that it's not of the OYW. To be honest MS Igloo 2's slipped my mind at the time and I still remember them as museum projects. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:

You say that like basing something off a book is a bad thing. Wink

That said, I'll be wary of this one. I'm a big Gundam fan, but my boyfriend just mentioned that this was a horrible series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2