• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 am Reply with quote
Ugh
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
I take it this means it's been licensed?

And Jarmel, why "ugh"? Funimation's stream of the new FMA series has been really good - way better than what you'd get on, say, Crunchyroll.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
It's not the video quality but the show itself.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote
The show is actually pretty good, even though I'm still not the biggest fan of Bee-Train's style. But I do know what the original story is about and the adaptation isn't bad so far.

That aside...I'm fairly sure this is going to be yet another U.S.-only stream, which makes it basically useless for those who don't happen to live there, at least in theory.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Great job FUNimation!

Personally, I think Noir 4 (Phantom) is so far much better than Noir 2(Madlax) and Noir 3 (El Cazador). It's right up there with the original Noir, which certainly is quite the feat considering Kajiura isn't doing the soundtrack.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
As I went through the anime reviews for this season I saw "guns" and "beetrain" and I knew I had to automatically watch. Minus the train wreck (no pun intended) that was El Cazador de la bruja I was worried that beetrain had lost it's ability to do assassin animes but phantom has defiantly put my faith back into it..and honestly even though it's funimation (though I have no hatred towards them at all) you have to admit right now they are by far the SMARTEST anime company...second to gonzo and their collaboration with crunchyroll they are absorbing animes like a sponge and squeezing them out to fans satisfyingly the ONE complaint they have always had; that they weren't getting their anime fast enough and resorting to subs. Now I'm not sure how economically this is doing for them since this isn't charging fans to watch, but this is one step in the right direction regardless for the anime industry in its battle against fansubs.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:51 am Reply with quote
Cool. It's too bad it's not Crunchyroll that has it though. Funimation's VOD player doesnt work for a hill of beans.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Hopefully we get a BD release.

It also makes you wonder what their con announcements are going to be if they are streaming a lot of new stuff now.
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I take it this means it's been licensed?

Yes. (edit: This is an streaming acquisition license. Don't infer DVD. All in due time. It's all in the semantics and new atmosphere of simulcast. It's a new process.)

Thanks for supporting legal ad supported streams. Revenue from the commercials running before our streams are split between FUNimation and our Japanese licensor.

Watching ad supported online streaming helps fund more anime from Japan and from FUNimation.

Thanks,

Lance
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy.

Last edited by lheiskell on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
Cool. It's too bad it's not Crunchyroll that has it though. Funimation's VOD player doesnt work for a hill of beans.

Yeah, but the video quality is higher than Crunchy's for free.
Grico

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
That's great news, phantom was high on my list for wanting to see of new anime this season. The game was quite enjoyable and Bee Train girls with guns series are enjoyable (although phantom does have a male lead).
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
That aside...I'm fairly sure this is going to be yet another U.S.-only stream, which makes it basically useless for those who don't happen to live there, at least in theory.

ISP maskers.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ISP maskers.

Thank goodness for them.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:21 am Reply with quote
Very cool announcement.

Personally, I'm a fan of Bee Train productions. I was very happy that Funi had picked up El Cazador and now there is Phantom to look forward to as well. And if watching the show online (for free) helps them bring more shows over to us, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is a win-win situation.

Good job Funimation, keep up the good work!
Roguespider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Great job FUNimation!

Personally, I think Noir 4 (Phantom) is so far much better than Noir 2(Madlax) and Noir 3 (El Cazador). It's right up there with the original Noir, which certainly is quite the feat considering Kajiura isn't doing the soundtrack.

Personally, I get a bit annoyed when people continually compare this to Noir/Madlax/etc. I'm not saying the comparison doesn't have some merit (Mashimo just seems to have a thing with the girl assassin stories), but the original Phantom actually predates them all. The visual style does deviate from the source material (which irked me at first but I've warmed considerably to it). With the exception of the assassination in the first episode (which is really just a hook for viewers), the story is practically following the source material directly, and with some parting shots in the first episode seems ready to keep on track throughout the entire series.

I'm going to be horribly disappointed if Funi takes too long to put the episodes out. Crying or Very sad I will be very happy though when Funi eventually dubs it out and releases it here in the US (assuming they give it a good dub). Heck, I still buy it just for the DVD's (or as Hikaru004 is hoping, and me too, BD release Very Happy

Disclaimer: I'm a huge Phantom fan - even have 7 foot display scroll of Ein and Drei Cool , coolest item in my entire anime collection
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6