• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking, April 20-26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Kai dominates once again and its premiere has given One Piece a great boost in ratings
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't necessarily disagree with DB Kai giving One Piece a boost in ratings, but I think a lot also has to do with it being in a really good part of an arc now, what with some massive fights and all.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
DB Kai's boosting of One Piece's ratings are very interesting.

One Piece's ratings dropped when they moved time slots, so I wonder if the hype for DB Kai has gotten people to rediscover it again.

Given DB Kai's ratings success compared to newer shows, I do wonder if we'll see other old shows repackaged this way in future.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
That depends. I don't know if there are that many shows like DB to begin with that has the popularity that it had in its golden days on television. However, you can't get any two better combined shows than DB and One Piece for the same hour slot. I bet you Oda was just thrilled to hear that his show was going to be showing after DB Kai.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
Are you joking? Of course DB Kai gave One Piece a boost in ratings. Look at its average household rating prior to DB Kai's airing.
Cotek

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
Are you joking? Of course DB Kai gave One Piece a boost in ratings. Look at its average household rating prior to DB Kai's airing.

THe overall average would still be pretty high considering the ratings it was getting before the timeslot change.

Aside from that, One Piece has had some fairly high ratings in some episodes (just not most of the time.) I don't see how you can neccessarily say Dragonball Kai gave it a boost without looking at it's ratings in the long run.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, before the current episodes (about the time DB Kai started up), one could argue that One Piece was at a pretty lackadaisical point in its story, particularly from the transfer of Thriller Bark to where they are now.

Now though, it has gotten really dang good. What with Luffy defying authority once again with the Tenryuubito.

I'd think DB Kai would have higher ratings if it were the one boosting One Piece's ratings, but that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1