• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Editor/Translator Ed Chavez Moves to Vertical

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Except that that foothold is on hold now, so that could be a while before he could get in with Kodansha. But hey, should be interesting to see what he can do while at Vertical during this time.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
Good for him. Also on Crunchyroll there has been posed a preview of Black Jack, which I believe (not sure) is from his translations.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/showmanga/100010

He says the preview is for only one week too ...
http://twitter.com/Vertical_Ed
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:36 am Reply with quote
Didn't know Ed translated as well. His Encyclopedia entry only has one listed credit.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Except that that foothold is on hold now, so that could be a while before he could get in with Kodansha.

Actually, I was working for Kodansha prior to joining Vertical. I was their exclusive translator for the Morning International Comc Competition and I worked with Kodansha BOX as well.

Kodansha USA...well that`s another story.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Didn't know Ed translated as well. His Encyclopedia entry only has one listed credit.

Yeah, I was a translator for Kodansha Japan for more than a year. I helped with manga, promotional/advertising material and even helped name a few of their comics.
TommyRaiko

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, I was working for Kodansha prior to joining Vertical. I was their exclusive translator for the Morning International Comc Competition and I worked with Kodansha BOX as well.

Congratulations on the new gig. Vertical really do some great stuff ("real books" as well as manga.)

Given your work with Kodansha (or at least part of it) and now with Verical, would you be able to know or tell us who Vertical's newish "unnamed major Japanese publishing house" investor is?

Unless I missed something, I don't think it's identity was ever confirmed. And there's plenty of otaku speculation out there. Any hints for the nosy fans out here in the world?
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
TommyRaiko wrote:
Given your work with Kodansha (or at least part of it) and now with Verical, would you be able to know or tell us who Vertical's newish "unnamed major Japanese publishing house" investor is?

Unless I missed something, I don't think it's identity was ever confirmed. And there's plenty of otaku speculation out there. Any hints for the nosy fans out here in the world?

Good question, Tommy.

At this moment I am not sure if I can share that information. I could check with our Board Members to if we can disclose that or not. Though I believe there might be a press release in the future detailing that by the investors themselves.

Any hints, huh... I guess I can say this company is a signficant player in the Japanese publishing world with ties to manga and prose.
TommyRaiko

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

At this moment I am not sure if I can share that information. I could check with our Board Members to if we can disclose that or not. Though I believe there might be a press release in the future detailing that by the investors themselves.

Oh, that makes sense. I didn't mean to ask something that puts you in an awkward position with the new gig. Never mind. Forget I said anything. Smile

But to repeat the most important thing--congratulations!
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
TommyRaiko wrote:
Oh, that makes sense. I didn't mean to ask something that puts you in an awkward position with the new gig. Never mind. Forget I said anything. Smile

No worries. As I said, if I can share that info with you all I will do so. However, as financial issues are always very sensitive with a private company it is always good judgement to go through the proper channels.

Quote:
But to repeat the most important thing--congratulations!

You have no idea how much I appreciate the support! I really want to make an effort to maintain a dialog with Vertical`s readers. So I will be lurking the interwebs -blogs, forums and Twitter (my tag there is Vertical_Ed)- to look for license suggestions and more importantly give readers an inside look at what I am doing at Vertical.

Keep tabs on me, cause I will definitely be watching you readers. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1