• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon.ca Lists Akira, Ghost in the Shell from Kodansha

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The "Ghost in the Shell" manga was made by Shirow Masamune. Oshii did the movie version.

EDIT: First! (Sorry, had to do it)
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping the KC version of Akira will include the Marvel colored version.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I was hoping they would come out in combined volumes. But hey, at least I can buy Akira soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what exactly does this mean? They're being rereleased here in America? Will they be unflipped?

Last edited by UltimaShadowfax on Tue May 05, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
RedTail

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
A year or two ago Dark Horse said they were going to re-release both of those titles. Guess they lost the rights before they could do it.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Wait, what exactly does this mean? They're being rereleased here in America?

If the listing is accurate, yeah.

More important news for me is that Kodansha USA may finally be active.

Quote:
Will they be unflipped?

Hope so.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means we can expect to see Kodansha releasing a number of titles soon. With Tokyopop seemingly teetering on the brink of implosion, it would be nice to get a new player on the field. (Though I'd love to see Yen Press take over some of Tokyopop's unfinished titles, Kodansha's a big publisher with a lot of great titles.)
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Hope this is true. Also, anyone mind telling me what those prices would be in US dollars? Just to get an idea of what their price range might be.

RedTail wrote:
A year or two ago Dark Horse said they were going to re-release both of those titles. Guess they lost the rights before they could do it.

I forget where I read it, but yea, they did say a while ago that they had lost the rights. I don't remember the specifics, though. I think they wanted to do a rerelease to coincide with the movie.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Hope this is true. Also, anyone mind telling me what those prices would be in US dollars? Just to get an idea of what their price range might be.

http://www.amazon.com/Akira-1-Katsuhiro-Otomo/dp/1935429000 - $24.99

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-1-Shirow-Masamune/dp/1935429019 - $26.99
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
LostPhrack wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Good heavens, I got my Dark Horse releases of Akira way cheaper than that...isn't leaving things unflopped supposed to make them cheaper? Oh well, I'll look for sales when I replace them, I guess.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
LostPhrack wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Good heavens, I got my Dark Horse releases of Akira way cheaper than that...isn't leaving things unflopped supposed to make them cheaper? Oh well, I'll look for sales when I replace them, I guess.

Well a penny saved is a penny earned as they say.

Keep in mind that Amazon is probably just getting around to listing this, and as such they just have the list price up there. As time goes on I am sure you will be able to find it for under list price. As I am sure you did with the Dark Horse release.

Also they might have to spend extra money to put it back unflipped since they will have to flip and re-letter the original English translations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Cool, I really want to read Akira but I could never find it anywhere.
strahl

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
Kodansha owns Garouden, Gaucos and SHAMO, I hope they start releasing the good catalog of stuff they have, as for Ghost in the shell and akira, can't you find them on the cheap bins?

why rerelease stuff that is on the cheap bins anyway.
Nicky D. Wolfwood

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Great news. I was able to collect four of the six Dark Horse books but never found volumes three and six.

I am a bit curious as to how Kodansha is going to release it. I assume it'll be right to left, but I wonder if they'll keep the dust jacket on the books like DMP does, or ditch it like most of everyone else.

Well, hopefully it'll be a quality release. I’m looking forward to this.

Last edited by Nicky D. Wolfwood on Thu May 07, 2009 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
lys

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
I don't think this has been mentioned before. I'm not sure how the books were printed originally (as far as pages per volume), but the listings referred to here all say they're above 300 pages (368, 352). Perhaps this would be related to the higher price, since they're longer than standard volumes? (though if the original English volumes were printed with the same page count maybe not)

And uh... not that I know anything certain of course, but it seems to me like it'd be kinda silly for Kodansha to re-flip and re-letter the original English releases. They own the original Japanese work, so wouldn't they just reproduce from that? I could see them using their own translation too, perhaps...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2