• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime! High Art - Pop Culture in Beverly Hills

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the incorrect labeling is due to the information provided by the collector, or poor work on the Academy's part. I want to believe it's the former, because it's very poor form for a professional organization to misrepresent things like that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and some of the Macross cels list the director as Carl Macek.

UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE. Send a letter to the curator with sources for fixing the mistakes. Seriously, leaving things like that up are wrong. Also, can you put up more on the hentai section, or was there no photography allowed there? I wanna know what shows they had cels up for.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
It must surely be a lack of photographs, but it would almost seem as though there is nothing from Utena in this exhibit. But that would be absurd! n_n;;
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
I wonder if the incorrect labeling is due to the information provided by the collector, or poor work on the Academy's part. I want to believe it's the former, because it's very poor form for a professional organization to misrepresent things like that.
If it's on part of the collector, that would make plenty of sense. My Aunt is friends with a fine-arts photographer, and among his many photography subjects are *surprise* PVC statues of anime characters. He knows nothing about the characters, let alone the series they're from; but he loves the art medium and photographs them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Glad to get a preview of it before actually driving out there to see what's going on. But it can't be that bad if we get free admission into it. I'll still be piecing this together for a summer thing to do.
NinCaT

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I was wondering, since they said that the next exhibition is in Belgium, are there going to be in other European countrys too?
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
Looks like this is an older exhibition that was put together by the Frankfurt, Deutsches Filmmuseum and as usual the Academy fail to mention their derivative sourcing, although in fairness they credit the originators but without stating the provenance explicitly. Sneaky.

Actually I'm more annoyed that I missed this in Europe last year.

http://www.deutschesfilmmuseum.de/pre/res/txt/anime.html

And an excellent review in English of the Frankfurt exhibition:
http://nishikataeiga.blogspot.com/2008/03/anime-high-art-pop-culture.html

Disappointed of Wandsworth, grumpy,
Nico M Twisted Evil

edit:
still in German but self-explanatory:
http://www.deutschesfilmmuseum.de/pre/ft2.php?id=body&img=3img2&main=anime_ausstellung&ass=anime_ass
and what's this Belgium thingie?
NinCaT

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
Well it stands that when the exhibition in North America is over it is going to Belgium...
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
NinCaT wrote:
Well it stands that when the exhibition in North America is over it is going to Belgium...

Uuuum ... duh .... thanks Smile

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/cs8113f_97_spring/glad.html wonder if this is the Gentleman concerned and how the German Museum links in. Seems he also has a great Western Animation Cel Collection as well! Them Football Players do have good taste neh?

Do some proper research ANN please, you have the connections surely? Although I'm grateful for the heads-up Razz

Nico M
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:08 am Reply with quote
I own Ga-Netchû, the german book of the cel exhibition. I must admit, it contains pictures from pretty cels. I'd love to own some of these cels myself, like that huge white Rei from End of evangelion. This cel must have cost at least 2000$ and more. That's the price you pay for less spectacular looking cels of Asuka or Rei from the tv series when they show up in a Mandarake store. Or the ones from Akira and Robotic Carnival. I'd love to own one with Kaneda on his red bike.

I started collecting cels myself in the mid-nineties when a small boom started among anime fans for owning at least one cel from one's favorite anime. As for cels from Miyazaki movies, I have myself some from Totoro, Kiki and Porco Rosso. These would cost several hundred dollars nowadays if I had to buy them all over again but the thing is, they were pretty affordable 15 years ago thanks to Animeigo. Animeigo sold cels from Ghibli per mail order. One could obtain a list with small b/w copies of the cels and the prices were usually between 25-80$/cel. Sadly, that's unimaginable nowadays.

As for the cel owner of this exhibition wantig to own a cel from Spirited Away, he should have known that Ghibli abandoned cel animation starting with Tonari no Yamada-kun. Spirited Away is classic 2d-Digimation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
The sad thing is that I'm 16 years old and I knew most of all those cels ...

But lucky I didn't lose my temper when I was flicking through and didn't see anything Harlock/ Galaxy Express 999 related. Because at the end I was pretty much like "Ahh ... there you are Harlock." when I saw those images.

Another cool thing I just bought Space Firebird 2772 (and watched it) and thought it was a cool coincidence I saw the cel of it there.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
@Swissman
Nice post Sir! I started bidding with Mandarake a few years ago and acquired just a tiny taster set ...... one wonders where the main collectors are? In Japan and in Japanese of course.

Nowadays I'm lucky if I can afford a thrown-away animators photocopy of a storyboard sketch, let alone an actual cel Smile

Ga-Netchû available here:
http://www.buchhandel.de/detailansicht.aspx?isbn=978-3-89487-607-4

Nico M
Elves

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Hey Zac, thanks for all the pics. Smile It's a nice preview, and for people like me who know they won't get out that way, a nice look at the exhibit. Too bad about the weird labeling, but you're right, that's a good way to pass the time for die-hard fans!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
If those cells aren't worth a fortune already, I sincerely think they ought to be. The fact that there exists such cell exhibits is news to me.

Quote:
“From the Personal Collection of Mike & Jeanne Glad”

I believe we have here the ultimate otaku.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
If those cells aren't worth a fortune already, I sincerely think they ought to be. The fact that there exists such cell exhibits is news to me.

Quote:
“From the Personal Collection of Mike & Jeanne Glad”

I believe we have here the ultimate otaku.

More like the ultimate pop art collector. I think this article stated that he was more interested in the style and intricacy of the cels themselves, as popular art pieces, than he was in the movies they came from. He may not have seen a lot of the anime he owns cels from, I'd wager.

I was surprised there wasn't more EVA, but at least there was a lot of Miyazaki and Otomo to gawk at in glee. I actually saw a lot of Harlock, or at least characters designed by its original character designer who has a pretty darned obvious style.

(...Samurai Pizza Cats...Laughing)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3