• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Revoltech Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Too bad the Fraulein line is currently on an indefinite hiatus to make room for the Queen's Blade series (which doesn't use the Fraulein ELF joint system, but something closer to 2G). Going to miss the line, I've got all but a few of them.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I'd much prefer form over function as regards these models- upon first seeing a photo of this one, my attention turned instantly to the unappealing joints.
Were the subject to change to mecha figures though, I'd probably hold the opposite view.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the knee joints are just weird and unsightly. When possible, I prefer form and function. Just like the old EVA toys which hid all the joints underneath a "skin", which is entirely justifiable when you consider the nature of Evangelions.

Surely companies have had enough practice at making toys in order to accommodate both schools of thought into a mid-ranged figurine. Unsightly joints are just unsightly.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The Fraulein series is just a huge fail in my opinion. I mean, look what they did to poor Revy. Their only good ones are Rei, Asuka, and Yoko. The only revoltech things I buy are the Eva's. If you want good jointed figures you should get Figmas.
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I agree. The visible articulation is just unsightly. I originally was not too keen on Figmas or the Revoltech, but after having seen both in person, the Figma's were actually pretty decent. Revoltech just falls short though =(
emiri-kimidori

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
She does look a little weird standing, but when she's in a sitting position, she looks fine. I'd still rather get a figma, here are tons of figmas of haruhi out there
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Now, I don't know much about figures, so maybe this is normal, but doesn't she look ridiculously thin? Bordering anorexic? I think she looks unhealthy, and I would like my figures to be free of eating disorders.

This week was an interesting read, though. I'd like to have more figures, so this column is something I never just skim, for the sake of getting some information.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Agreed - she's so skinny, that I look at her and all I see is joints and no weight at all on her. I don't think she'd look so emaciated if it wasn't for that huge head,

-Pips-
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
The Fraulein series is just a huge fail in my opinion. I mean, look what they did to poor Revy. Their only good ones are Rei, Asuka, and Yoko. The only revoltech things I buy are the Eva's. If you want good jointed figures you should get Figmas.

I think Revy was part of the main Revoltech line (as is Yotsuba), not Fraulein. I don't know how much of a difference that makes in the build though.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
uh...wow. When I saw the photo I was expecting this to get a bad review...I personally think from the photos that the toy looks hideous. She's far too skinny and her head is far too big; it looks like her head was taken from a different Haruhi figure entirely and stuck on a random stylized body. And I dont think this has anything to do with the character design itself because I say this as a Haruhi fan who thinks the figmas of her look pretty good.
I didn't think the Yoko looked bad, but this...just looks weird.
animexkittie

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Besides having all of those bulky joints staring you in the face, whats with the giraffe-like neck? I'm not too knowledgeable on this sort of subject, but personally I think Revoltech could have done a MUCH better job. However, I will admit it could be worse.
StarOpal

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I have to go with the "this is a hideous toy" group. She does look too skinny and the head looks too big, but I think the neck has to be the worst part. Plus I think joints on more scantily clad figures tend to be a big eyesore since there's less ways to hide them.

I do like the selection of faces though.
kallisti

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
I want to see a stop-motion Hare Hare Yukai with the revotech figures of Haruhi, Yuki and Mikuru=)

Anybody savvy enough to be up for the challenge?
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Frankly, the last photo looks more like Krauser about to get whacked by Haruhi's huge recruiting sign...I feel sorry for him...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
Can anyone compare and contrast the Revoltech Fraulein Haruhi with the Figma figures?

So far my Haruhi-ism is limited to the 1/8 Max Factory figure (based on a review here on ANN, IIRC). Still debating on whether to just get the cheap set or the limited editions of the DVDs. Just gonna get the novels in the meantime.

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3