• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shattered Angels DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd say that's a fair review. I liked the series and bought it recently but I can't deny that the melodrama was too painfully obvious. I have to say that it had a great ending, though.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
...balanced mainstream entertainment like Kurumi...

Was that show any good? I smelled maid fetish on it and stayed far away.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:

I loved Kurumi and plus it has a lot of neat fighting scenes(but of course I am only speaking for the 1st season).
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:

First season is rather enjoyable, especially after Kirinka shows up. Second season is trash.

I agree with this entire review, and that's about all I have to say.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, talk about coincidental. One year ago at Anime Central, I bought the one volume that ADV managed to release, then I finally get around to watching it yesterday, and now this review. Although I generally liked what I've seen so far, I'm not surprised that the review turned out this way. There's enough cheese in this show to rival Lambeau field on a fall Sunday. I haven't checked out the English dub yet, but the subtitles rendered the dialogue reasonably well. Or at least as well as could be expected. I don't know, I just have a strange attraction and fascination with Kaishaku works. To varying degrees, they're all insane, frenetic, disturbing, fanservice-filled, and nonsensical. But they're so colorful, pretty, and brimming with forbidden love and trashy melodrama that I can't turn away. Too bad there's probably zero chance of the 2006 Kagihime ~Eternal Alice Rondo~ series getting licensed here. It has many of the same qualities and flaws as other Kaishaku anime, but felt less over-the-top than Shattered Angels.

Boy, it's strange that the dub script would be so stilted. After all, it was written by Clint Bickham, the same writer as other, better ADV dubs like Gantz and Yugo the Negotiator. If only they'd had Kathleen Moynihan in on the job, then we would've gotten a dub full of lines like "Dodge this!" and "You shall not pass!" Laughing

Questions about the release itself, since that wasn't covered too heavily in the review: The link says "Complete Box set 1-3," but it's all 12 episodes on just 2 DVDs, right? And I assume there's no extras, least of all the bonus shorts of which ADV had 2 on their ill-fated volume 1. Good thing I managed to track those down in FansubLand. I do plan on buying this set someday, but I'm still a bit reluctant to partially double-dip after paying $20 for V1.

I also think it's telling that there was no outcry on these boards or AoD at Funimation for not finishing the singles release, like there was with Pumpkin Scissors and Red Garden. According to RACS, not many people bought that first volume in the first place. Those that did were probably resigned to their fate, especially if they'd seen the series before.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The link says "Complete Box set 1-3," but it's all 12 episodes on just 2 DVDs, right?

Yep. A two disc thinpack with all 12 eps. No extras (I don't count clean OP & ED as extras, lol), but it does have very pretty case art.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
There's enough cheese in this show to rival Lambeau field on a fall Sunday.

Resident of Wisconsin for 15 years is laughing her ass off! Laughing

So Kannazuki no Miko is good?
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So Kannazuki no Miko is good?

Yes, indeed. Lots of genre mishmashing and overlapping, but it's good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:04 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of peeps would agree that the fake Shin Kyoshiro To Towa No Sora trailer would have been a FAR superior series! I mean, Kuu and Setuna as a couple with Kyoshiro as the enemy of everything yuri, sign me up!!!! Cool
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
While Kannazuki was flawed I still thought it was a a really good series in a strange way. Yet there's something about Shattered Angels that makes it come across as one of the funniest unintentional comedies I've ever watched, for all the reasons Carl mentioned. One moment that really made me laugh out loud was at the end of the first episode, where Kuu was basically saying "Sure, the school getting destroyed was exciting too, but I just had my first kiss!" Even so, I'm kind of a completist and just ordered this from Right Stuf. If it's true, then it's a shame the shorts aren't on there, since a couple are sweet Yuri vignettes between Kaon and Himiko and would've made it even more worthwhile; well, there's always youtube.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm starting to regret having ordered this during the Funi sale at Right Stuf. I almost didn't buy it, too, based on the review over at AoD, but at the last minute decided that I wanted to see more Chikane and Himiko.
Oh well, at least it will have eye candy.
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
I mostly agree; it was very far from a perfect series, but it did have its moments. Though it needed less Kyoshiro and more Setsuna. o.O If she's a crossover character (I'm not sure), and you know what series she's from, would you mind PM'ing it to me?

On the other hand, the episode intro where Kuu's all spoiler[Everyone is happy, everything is great, the world is amazing! I wish I were dead.] was fairly good.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:16 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Man, I'm starting to regret having ordered this during the Funi sale at Right Stuf. I almost didn't buy it, too, based on the review over at AoD, but at the last minute decided that I wanted to see more Chikane and Himiko.
Oh well, at least it will have eye candy.

If you're looking for eye-candy, it's worth it! The mecha fights are animated much better in this than in Kannazuki no Miko. I thought it was an enjoyable enough show.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:

With a name liked Shattered Angels I doubt I'll ever watch this. The title alone tells me this show is going to tons of drama and of course, fanservice.
Rika-chama

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much I thought Kannazuki sucked I'm not sure if I want to check this out. I'll probably end up renting it just for the yuri in it. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2