• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: December's Yamato Film Detailed by Director Nishizaki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, the Wave Motion Gun on the Yamato already had the capability to fire multiple shots starting either in The New Voyage TV special or the theatrical film Be Forever via Wave Motion Cartridges, or whatever they called them.

It's also pointless for them to even continue producing ships like the Yamato when they have more advanced ships in the Andromeda-class ships. The only reason why Yamato continued to perservere was because of the crew. Building a new Yamato would have to have a excellent crew.

I'm guessing Susumu and Yuki's daughter will either be standing in for Susumu's position as head of the battle crew or the pilot seat open by the deceased Daisuke Shima.

I have little confidence in any Yamato production that doesn't have Leiji Matsumoto guiding it, especially if it's just going to be some huge CG fest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
I just find it sad that Nishizaki actually has more to show for his work on the new Yamato film than Cameron does on Avatar. I'm also surprised he didn't consider trying to reboot the series with a prequel, since that's the trend nowadays.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:41 am Reply with quote
If the preview image is any indication, then the CG looks worse than a pachinko game.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
If the preview image is any indication, then the CG looks worse than a pachinko game.

Damn! It does'nt look real, nor animeish... so it's a crappy way to render something into the netherregions of nothingness.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
Humanity flees just because of some damn black hole? What a bunch of cowards! Real civilizations fight back by creating white holes to annihilate the black holes!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
I for one am quite impressed with those visuals. You can tell it's CGI, but anything with a greater deal of photorealism wouldn't be necessary (or even appropriate) for this sort of medium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm guessing Susumu and Yuki's daughter will either be standing in for... the pilot seat open by the deceased Daisuke Shima.

It would be a missed opportunity if they don't have Jiro Shima fill that slot.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I'm guessing Susumu and Yuki's daughter will either be standing in for... the pilot seat open by the deceased Daisuke Shima.

It would be a missed opportunity if they don't have Jiro Shima fill that slot.

It's going to be a disaster anyway, better not drag that poor kid through more than he's already been through.

He should stick to his soccer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
When I lived in Japan almost a decade ago, I rented the "making of" this movie. (Yes, they released the making of before actually making the movie.) Leiji Matsumoto had drawn up some sketches of older versions of the Yamato characters. I suppose they won't use them now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1