• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shattered Angels DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
...balanced mainstream entertainment like Kurumi...

Was that show any good? I smelled maid fetish on it and stayed far away.

With a name liked Shattered Angels I doubt I'll ever watch this. The title alone tells me this show is going to tons of drama and of course, fanservice.

Last I checked, Shattered Angels is not a "direct" translation of the actual title: Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora. I don't see the word Kyoshiro or sky in there.

Overall this series had potential, but it's execution wasn't all that good. Like Kannazuki, a bit too many fillers in the middle that did not add much to the plot and could have been replaced, though I'm not going to complain about half the shoujo-ai/yuri elements involved. Even though I liked the series, I do have to admit that this series took a wrong turn quite a number of times.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Bleh, I remember watching the first DVD of this (I won it in a contest) and promptly taking it to the local used bookstore to get some store credit of it. Too melodramatic, over the top, crazy, and all of the characters are such air heads that I'm surprised that they can put their socks on in the morning.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Rika-chama wrote:
Considering how much I thought Kannazuki sucked I'm not sure if I want to check this out. I'll probably end up renting it just for the yuri in it. Confused

Just a warning: there is very little yuri in Shattered Angels :/ ... I was expecting more. There's a bit, but the focus is definitely heterosexual relationships.
Aeria

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
All I clearly remember from this series is how good it was. And by good, I mean, so bad it was hilarious.

I wouldn't really call it pretty -- the series got pretty QUALITY in the middle. (And apologies in advance for a TV Tropes link, ha ) And in the end, except for maybe five minutes.

I didn't think the dub was too bad, but this was defintely one of those "please do stray from keeping this as closely translated as possible" situations. Then again, it is a translator's job to give us the same experience as the Japanese viewers. Still... I think, "The unceasing beat of my heart is a bell heralding good fortune; my flushed cheeks are touched by the flames of passion. This is the best feeling in the world! Hooray, hooray, and hooray!" says why I think that pretty darn well. Laughing

I liked Monica Rial and Luci Christain as Kaon and Himiko though. Granted, I only saw the snippets FUNImation posted on their youtube account, but I liked what I heard. Wasn't Stephanie Sheh and Michelle Ruff, but it was good.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kannazuki had similar handicaps, but where it smothered its many faults under a beautifully orchestrated climactic crescendo of triple hanky tear jerking...

This pricks up my ears. Is Kannazuki a recommendable show, for those who aren't averse to hankies and melodrama?
I myself believe the proof is in the pudding, and am willing to overlook flaws in a series' middle section if the conclusion is memorable. Am I right in assuming such is the case for this show?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
Kannazuki had similar handicaps, but where it smothered its many faults under a beautifully orchestrated climactic crescendo of triple hanky tear jerking...

This pricks up my ears. Is Kannazuki a recommendable show, for those who aren't averse to hankies and melodrama?
I myself believe the proof is in the pudding, and am willing to overlook flaws in a series' middle section if the conclusion is memorable. Am I right in assuming such is the case for this show?

I like Kannazuki a lot ... it was a little TOO melodramatic to make me cry, though - if that makes sense. And I usually cry at sad shows/anime/movies/etc. I think it's a very interesting show, though.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Bleh, I remember watching the first DVD of this (I won it in a contest) and promptly taking it to the local used bookstore to get some store credit of it. Too melodramatic, over the top, crazy, and all of the characters are such air heads that I'm surprised that they can put their socks on in the morning.

Called it. Yeah, I had a feeling just by the title and cover image alone this going to be over the top meldodramatic. Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic drama series, but there is a limit. The comment with socks did make me laugh though.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Just a warning: there is very little yuri in Shattered Angels :/ ... I was expecting more. There's a bit, but the focus is definitely heterosexual relationships.

And I would have called it wall to wall in your face yuri. And some of the most blatant sexism it's ever been my misfortune to watch. I alternated between horror and laughter until horror won out and I deleted them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Toshirodragon wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

And I would have called it wall to wall in your face yuri. And some of the most blatant sexism it's ever been my misfortune to watch. I alternated between horror and laughter until horror won out and I deleted them.

Shattered Angels is "wall-to-wall in your face yuri"??? Have you seen Kannazuki no Miko ... or better yet - Strawberry Panic, Kashimashi, or Simoun???? There was way less yuri in Shattered Angles than I was expecting - but I agree, it was pretty sexist in many places.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
So Kannazuki no Miko is good?

Yes, indeed. Lots of genre mishmashing and overlapping, but it's good.

No kidding.I liked that series,though soma's ending really upseted be. But it was still a good series.One of the reasons other than the fanservice that i liked the series.Also both series are 50/50 in story and in the dialouge dept,but it's still passable,and at least it's being done via the original script which is a plus,and the yuri feeling is also another good addition.

It's another must have in my view,but as usual,the fanservice turns people off.At least give it a rental or watch both versions at the funi website. You might think otherwise and agree that it deserves the BOTD cause it could've been worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
As a big Kaishaku fan, I must admit I enjoyed this only for the references to other works.

It probably is their most visually stunning as the watercolour-like images are very eye-catching and beautiful but I do think they are a distraction for a badly thought out plot..

The romance is the same plot so overused by some many anime, lacking the usual Kaishaku unique spin. It seems this title was trying to tap into the popular "moe" market.

I haven't yet experienced the English dub as my set remains unopened as I already saw episodes upon release.

I did especially like
spoiler[ the overly sugared potentially romantic moment where Kuu is mentally gushing over meeting Kyoshiro...and he ruins it by getting her bra out for all to see. ]
That actually made me laugh so hard I decided to keep watching, as I was just about to give it up.

So beyond that, I agree this does, on the whole, fail. Even with the beautiful visuals and fun little references I could barely sit through this even as a fan.

It is a groan-inducing romance dumped full of sugar and plot devices that sometimes I just laughed at how ridiculous it was, as I hadn't a clue why this was there, who that was...or why this was doing that.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
I must admit that I liked Kannazuki No Miku a lot better.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
alpha_beta_angel wrote:
As a big Kaishaku fan, I must admit I enjoyed this only for the references to other works.

I did especially like
spoiler[ the overly sugared potentially romantic moment where Kuu is mentally gushing over meeting Kyoshiro...and he ruins it by getting her bra out for all to see. ]
That actually made me laugh so hard I decided to keep watching, as I was just about to give it up.

So beyond that, I agree this does, on the whole, fail. Even with the beautiful visuals and fun little references I could barely sit through this even as a fan.

Well i wouldn't say that.sure there's some flaws and the stroy line is a little awkard,but that's how it is with this type of series.And it had some laughs and a decent ending evev though it was kinda sad so it should get some thumbs up for at least trying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:

I thought Kannazuki was terrible, and I like yuri, hankies and melodrama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2