• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shojo Beat Magazine No Longer Accepting Subscriptions

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:36 am Reply with quote
What a shame.
se37

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Another Magazine bites the dust, this is real depressing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
Come on ladies. Oh well, hopefully this means all of those mangas aren't restricted to when they can put on graphic novels now. That's one of the few things I didn't like once you actually found out you like one of the series in the Jumps and Beats. The extreme waiting.
LKK

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
This is sad. I've bought Shojo Beat regularly since Vampire Knight started its run. I noticed that for the past couple of months, SB has been late arriving at the bookstores. It used to arrive the same week as Shonen Jump, now it comes a week or two later. Perhaps I should have seen that as sign of bad things to come?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Ok, This REALLY sucks. I like Shojo Beat much, much more than I do Shonen Jump.

I'd really like to see the numbers on this one, becuase I was under the impression that Shojo Beat was doing fine. I hope this isn't some stupid "well it's doesn't sell as well as SJ, so..." move.
Agoston

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I hope this isn't some stupid "well it's doesn't sell as well as SJ, so..." move.
It probably was. You really can't blame Viz though, if it doesn't make them money, they're just running themselves into the ground by continuing to publish it, no matter how sad that is.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 am Reply with quote
This is pretty sad, I had every issue for the first 3 volumes of it. It's when they started to really play with the titles in it that I decided to stop getting it, which not I feel sad about. But no matter what they do have big anime on tv youth tie-ins like Shounen Jump has. I hope they do at lease carry on making a Shojo Beat manga line up, there were/are a lot of good titles on that imprint.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Now this is sad. I got two years worth of issues from the beginning. I got off the wagon a bit after Absolute Boyfriend ended. Really, this is sad. We don't have monthlies for girls like Japan does. The first I think was Viz's Animerica Extra that they turned into all manga geared towards girls near it's demise if I recall correctly. Now we will look back on this as well.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
No! I realize that all magazines are in trouble, but this really hurts.
KiraV

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
It's realy sad to see Shojo Beat go, but it was inevitable. I loved reading it, but it just wasn't worth subscribing with the rate that they swapped out titles. I have to wonder if that's what ended up killing it.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
Not a surprise at all. Most print media is dying and just a lost cause. Most of them are already in debt so its not a surprise the niche magazines are going to stop printing. Only the biggest publishers will be around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
That sucks. Shojo Beat was a step in the right direction for what was missing on the newsstands for manga magazines.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
Will the Shojo Beat LINE continue, or will they just release them as normal manga now? I never read the magazine, but do read some titles released under the Shojo Beat line.
erilot

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:31 am Reply with quote
My biggest wonder is what happens with my subscription? I just renewed in the fall and have no interest in any other magazine. Do I just loose my $$?
LKK

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
erilot wrote:
My biggest wonder is what happens with my subscription? I just renewed in the fall and have no interest in any other magazine. Do I just loose my $$?

The word is that SB subscribers will receive Shonen Jump instead. If you don't want to receive SJ, I suppose you could try cancelling your subscription and ask for a pro-rated refund.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4