• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Confirms Shojo Beat Manga Magazine's End in June

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well this is sad to hear. I actually had a subscription to this for a year and would have continued if I wasn't saving for a new car. I had thought that this magazine was doing good as well.

I wonder if they will still use the Shoujo Beat brand for new licenses. . .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
SB manga probably sells loads more than the mag ever could. I can't say I'm surprised.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
With the success of titles under the name like Full Moon and Vampire Knight, there's no doubt that it will continue.

Not good news for fans who followed the anthology, but hey it can mean good news like extra money for new licenses etc.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least I'll be able to say I have every issue of Shojo Beat. And I guess I'll get some interesting packing paper with these "free" issues of Shonen Jump I'll be getting to finish off the rest of my subscription, which I don't think ends until February. Don't really want to bother with trying to get a refund for half a year's magazine subscription.

But yes, it's sad to see Shojo Beat die. Hopefully Viz isn't doing to badly right now with the rest of their business.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! This is the second shojo mag which went under from Viz. And I always liked it more than Xtra. Oh, well, at least we'll be getting faster releases on the TPBs...*sigh* But, hey, four years is pretty damn good. I just can't believe print periodicals are doing so badly that even this takes a hit.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
Hopefully Viz isn't doing to badly right now with the rest of their business.

This decision is probably going to save them quite a few shiny pennies. Running any magazine in this day and age is expensive.

Other than Shonen Jump and PA, are there any remaining mags left?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
For magazines left, YenPlus is still running, at least as far as I know it is.

Very disappointed that Shojo Beat will be ending, I've read almost every issue of it and really enjoyed it quite a bit. At least I am glad that they are giving options to subscribers, instead of just giving us Shonen Jump automatically since as I've said elsewhere, I really am not interested in that magazine at all.
caporushes

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm so heartbroken about this. :C I finally had the money for a subscription, too.
Mika20

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to hear about this.
Back when I graduated and on my 19th birthday, my best friend bought me a year subscription of Shojo Beat, which was when I first heard of the magazine. I have the first 12 issues there were out from 05 to 06, and I still read them.

Absolute Boyfriend, and NANA became my favorite mangas from the magazine. It's been a while since I bought and read it, but I still love it.

It's a shame with this economy we lost good companies that give us the news and upcoming shows/mangas we want to hear about from magazines. First Newtype, Anime Insider, and now Shojo Beat......

I don't know what else to think or say anymore.
se37

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that still perfers magazines and printed media overall then the computer? It's sad to see printed media maybe a thing of the past now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
That figures; just as my Wal-Mart started to get Shojo Beat (and it was the only place in my area that ever had the magazine as well) and I was purchasing it, it gets canceled. T.T It was like with Anime Insider; I start to get it, and it's stopped just as I start to really get into it and save up for a subscription. XP

And this is really sad too; it was thanks to reading an issue of Shojo Beat in my high school's library a couple of years back is how I got into Absolute Boyfriend (and waited the three long years to collect all the volumes for it), and now I'm very much into Vampire Knight, as well as wanting to get into NANA, because of it.
hypersoda

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
That figures; just as my Wal-Mart started to get Shojo Beat (and it was the only place in my area that ever had the magazine as well) and I was purchasing it, it gets canceled. T.T It was like with Anime Insider; I start to get it, and it's stopped just as I start to really get into it and save up for a subscription. XP

And this is really sad too; it was thanks to reading an issue of Shojo Beat in my high school's library a couple of years back is how I got into Absolute Boyfriend (and waited the three long years to collect all the volumes for it), and now I'm very much into Vampire Knight, as well as wanting to get into NANA, because of it.

I feel your pain. While I haven't really followed Shojo Beat (I would usually borrow a friend's issue), the same thing happened to me with AI.

Hopefully, Yen+ doesn't end anytime soon. I've been wanting to read it for a while....and watch, just as start to buy it, it'll end. Sad
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Am I the only one that still perfers magazines and printed media overall then the computer? It's sad to see printed media maybe a thing of the past now.

I know that I will always prefer paper books over digital ones, something just works better with them.
And I'm sad that another magazine is going down but not really surprised. Regular magazines with a much broader base are taking a hit so it's not surprising that a more obscure topic is struggling.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
hypersoda wrote:
Hopefully, Yen+ doesn't end anytime soon. I've been wanting to read it for a while....and watch, just as start to buy it, it'll end. Sad

I second that. Particularly since my local bookstores don't seem to carry many Yen Press titles...
Alien1375

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Is there any chance some of the Shojo titles get published in Shonen Jump?
One thing I really like about the Yen plus magazine is the fact that it has several genres of manga in one magazine. When I read Shonen Jump I sometimes notice the lack of variation. It's really only shonen-manga (of course Laughing ) but getting some different manga in the magazine might open up some new unexpected cashcows....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4