• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spotting Bootlegs

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isaacada1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:49 pm Reply with quote
ANN will not allow postings for sale of bootleg products. Readers (and retailers), if you wish to know how to spot bootleg(non-licensed) product, here's some resources that will assist you.

Pirate Anime FAQ
http://web.archive.org/web/20070823064414/http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html
CAS Bootleg Guide
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhitley/bootleg.htm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Koumi addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:11 am Reply with quote
Man, I owe you one.

*bookmarks topic*
jap29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info!
tord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:16 am Reply with quote
It's good and all that ANN takes distance from companies selling bootleg and so, but one thing confuses me though...

Why does ANN promote Anime Castle which obviously are selling bootleg anime soundtracks?
Tiresias

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:33 am Reply with quote
This has been replied to before. When ANN started their contract with AC, they weren't selling bootlegs. It was only after they had a multi-year contract that AC started selling bootlegs, so ANN is stuck with it until the end of the contract.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:15 am Reply with quote
Best way to spot bootleg is to look at the subtitle:. If it's in english and chinese, it's a bootleg, because these bootleg are made first for the chinese speaking people. Real dvd shouldn't have both English and Chinese subtitle.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
I live here in NY and actually went to Anime Castle physical sore in Flushing. I was so excited to see so much Anime in one place..............now, I`m deeply disappointed in them for selling bootlegs.

shame.
Depression

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
I can not believe that these big anime stores can get away with selling bootlegged copies. I feel personally betrayed because I had purchased items from them not knowing. I think that there should be something done to stop this. Some thing to do about this would be writing to these places expressing our angrier and also to stop purchasing anything from places that sell anything that is bootlegged.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:47 am Reply with quote
They really don't care. The only things they understand are court orders, and the anime companies simply don't have the capital to prosecute them. Like the MPAA they are trying to strangle them at the source in Asia.
Ralconn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much for this information. Apparently an online store I thought I could trust sells these bootlegs. I will no longer purchase items from them.
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:07 am Reply with quote
im suprised people care so much about if there buying bootlegs or not if there using a site that used to be ok but now isnt cause they sell bootlegs because So many people use kazaa and other p2p networks to download songs, tv shows and movies so i dont get it why people feel so differently about anime being bootleg copies? I mean if ur buying import from japanese websites your going to pay more than you would for the american title and if u buy from ur general website that might sell bootlegs ur going to save a lot of money and room in ur house by buying from these import dvds rather than buy the american title
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:25 am Reply with quote
Papa-cha:

Long story short, because we like Anime, and want to support the industry instead of ripping them off. Why would you want to hand your money to someone who copies something you like and then procedes to make money off of it? Not to mention that the quality of boots is generally not good compared to the legal release, and the subs are often close to unreadable. I especially would not pay money to someone who copies an R1 release. Since I enjoy Anime, I want those that make it and those that bring it here to be supported so that they can continue to make series, and continue to bring them here.

I'm not gonna speak for people that download movies and such. I personally do not, save for some Anime mp3s I have.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:45 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Best way to spot bootleg is to look at the subtitle:. If it's in english and chinese, it's a bootleg, because these bootleg are made first for the chinese speaking people, then imported to america.

This is not always true. But it is most often true. If something has chinese subs its a reason to be wary, because chances are, it's a bootleg. But there are legitimate anime DVD releases that have English & Chinese subtitles.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote
This is a moral question, Is it wrong to buy HK if it's an anime that wont be coming to U.S. for another 3 - 4 years?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote
It's always wrong to buy a boot, end of story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 33