• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-05-22]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:31 am Reply with quote
Worry not Brian, I'm important and I read your column. Mr. Green
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Bo Burnham pulled off a similar but better joke in his song Bo Fo Sho

Quote:
Jack ain't Black and Berry ain't White

Alone it isn't funny, but the rest of the lyrics around it are irrelevant and NSFW.

But, yeah, Bo Burnham <3

Aaaanyways... As always, awesome column. Thursday night is my weekly fix of Anserman, and it's one of the few things that help me struggle through life. Without this or Topless Robot's Fan Fiction Fridays, my Fridays would be as empty and depressing as the rest of my life.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Another week, another column, and another of my two of your mortal cents to drop in:

--The Steel Angel Kurumi cosplayer: "Spendy"? Someone must be from the Pacific Northwest! That aside, I can imagine that turning out well. As for the wings, if you're coastal, try hunting for some seagull feathers on the beach.

--Introducing a significant other to anime: I've got two words: Hayao Miyazaki. I dare any of you to find someone whom his works CAN'T convert, and if you succeed, I'll buy you a new car! (Anyone who ISN'T enthralled by Nausicaä, Princess Mononoke, or Howl's Moving Castle is in need of serious hug therapy.) Also, anything by Osamu Tezuka should work wonders. Or you can use Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Macross, Mad Bull 34, Marmalade Boy, Black Lagoon, Peach Girl, Angel Cop, or any of Mamoru Oshii's works. Whatever brings 'em into the fold! Smile
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

--Introducing a significant other to anime: I've got two words: Hayao Miyazaki. I dare any of you to find someone whom his works CAN'T convert, and if you succeed, I'll buy you a new car! (Anyone who ISN'T enthralled by Nausicaä, Princess Mononoke, or Howl's Moving Castle is in need of serious hug therapy.) Also, anything by Osamu Tezuka should work wonders. Or you can use Cowboy Bebop, Eureka Seven, Macross, Mad Bull 34, Marmalade Boy, Black Lagoon, Peach Girl, Angel Cop, or any of Mamoru Oshii's works. Whatever brings 'em into the fold! Smile

Not sure Angel's Egg would be the best idea, or even Dallos. Jin-Roh might be a bit wordy as well, and the first two Urusei Yatsura movies shouldn't be your first anime ever. Angel Cop is a terrible idea, that's like suggesting MD Geist while you're at it. I'd say Miyazaki films or definitely Satoshi Kon films, since they can be more universal while being somewhat more grounded in reality. My brother and I saw Paprika on the big screen two years ago, he liked it a lot due to the artistic elements, which is stuff most people can tend to enjoy. Also, it's probably gotta be a movie or short OVA series, since longer shows are really too much a time investment. I'd say pick something that'll change their idea of what animation can do.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
I can rightfully say that I have not seen too many shojo manga series where the females act like they do in shonen manga series. I like your drawing responses to the flakes, Brian. I think that's what makes this column yours in regards to that particular section of the column in itself.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Not sure Angel's Egg would be the best idea, or even Dallos. Jin-Roh might be a bit wordy as well, and the first two Urusei Yatsura movies shouldn't be your first anime ever. Angel Cop is a terrible idea, that's like suggesting MD Geist while you're at it. I'd say Miyazaki films or definitely Satoshi Kon films, since they can be more universal while being somewhat more grounded in reality. My brother and I saw Paprika on the big screen two years ago, he liked it a lot due to the artistic elements, which is stuff most people can tend to enjoy. Also, it's probably gotta be a movie or short OVA series, since longer shows are really too much a time investment. I'd say pick something that'll change their idea of what animation can do.

How could you hate Angel Cop and MD Geist? Those two are UNDISPUTABLE CLASSICS, and anyone who says otherwise is 100% wrong and biased!
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
How could you hate Angel Cop and MD Geist? Those two are UNDISPUTABLE CLASSICS, and anyone who says otherwise is 100% wrong and biased!

I don't think he hates them. He was simply stating those probably wouldn't be the best series to introduce someone to anime with.

Depending on the person and the kind of movies/tv shows they liked, I'd start with something like GitS:SAC, Eureka 7 or Cowboy Bebop, or maybe Chobits or Angelic Layer. If they happen to like Transformers in all its incarnations, then I can safely throw Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at them. xD
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
i love Caris McCoolness's Escaflowne cosplay idea! Razz
maaya

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My question is, why are series aimed at girls so often giving them such useless characters to identify with?

Quote:
My guess is that Miyazaki holds a copyright on strong-willed engaging heroines in anime, so everyone else just kinda backs off.

Try Guardian of the Spirit (or even Erin the Beast Player) or Skip Beat. Anime hyper
RenTers

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
Oh my god,

I love your drawings.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
"...broadcasting Ova's like Hunter X Hunter's and Movies like Detective Conan's, no matter how you we look at it there's something Illegal about this since Ova's never get broadcasted on TV..."

brb loling forever

They never play OVAs on TV? Toonami played the Tenchi OVA back in the day and Adult Swim and Toonami have played the Inu Yasha movies, Blue Sub No.6, and the Escaflowne movie.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

I don't think he hates them. He was simply stating those probably wouldn't be the best series to introduce someone to anime with.

Considering that Angel swears like every 5 ****ing seconds in the mother****ing show that would make a **** sailor **** in his ****ing pants, I don't think it'll be such a ****ing idea *******.

Even condensed, it's very weird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Also, Rule #1 of Anime: We do not talk about MD Geist.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote
http://www.stooninternational.com/ Looking them up, it's all pretty legit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetoon I'm guessing they dub their anime into other local languages. There's a long history of arabic dubbed anime, and it's pretty common for anime OVA's and movies to be shown on TV where there's a market for it, but not necessarily a place on home video [see Pretty Cure's airing here in Canada, or the Digimon Movies on the Disney Channel]. A friend in university who was from Bangladesh watched Ruroni Kenshin on local stations in his home country, and the cable station Animax is pretty widespread in many smaller asian countries, so the japanese have had a way to capitalize on these smaller markets.
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
For someone looking for additional anime- and manga- related resources, you should check out Mikhail Koulikov's Online Bibliography of Anime and Manga Research. It references pretty much everything academic written about anime and manga in English.

(Although, if you're a HS student, finding many of the sources listed will probably require a trip to a university library.)

(I could also direct you to my own AnimeResearch.com website, but since it hasn't been updated in years, you're probably better off with Mikhail's site.)
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4