• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony's English Sky Crawlers Trailer Streamed on ANN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
Look, don't believe the trailer. I watched a BD rip of the movie, and while the aerial combat was nice, it probably accounted for like 5 total minutes of the movie. No kidding. There was one scene with about three different angles where the two mains just talk that lasted longer than any other part of the movie that contained good visuals. What you see in a trailer is pretty much most what most of the fight scenes were. It's tolerable for a DVD price, maybe a rental, but definitely not for buying on BD. Yeah, I know the message and the supposed deepness, but it's a bad way to go about it by glancing over the good parts.

If you want typical artsy Oshii, go see it. If you want adrenaline and blood pumping action, don't. Macross, Yukikaze, or Area 88 it is most certainly not.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
It's suppose to be a war love story at heart so heart-pounding awesome action is going to be a minimum imo. Besides it's an Oshii title. Even Avalon made you think.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It's suppose to be a war love story at heart so heart-pounding awesome action is going to be a minimum imo. Besides it's an Oshii title. Even Avalon made you think.

But then that's how they should tote it. My concern is calling it a thriller or a joyride with lots of plane action is completely and utterly wrong, and might trick a lot of people into buying something they didn't want, like the trailer does. It only shows the the aerial fights, which are abysmally short in this movie. Like I said, it's probably great if you want to rent it once on BluRay.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Look, don't believe the trailer. I watched a BD rip of the movie, and while the aerial combat was nice, it probably accounted for like 5 total minutes of the movie. No kidding. There was one scene with about three different angles where the two mains just talk that lasted longer than any other part of the movie that contained good visuals. What you see in a trailer is pretty much most what most of the fight scenes were. It's tolerable for a DVD price, maybe a rental, but definitely not for buying on BD. Yeah, I know the message and the supposed deepness, but it's a bad way to go about it by glancing over the good parts.

If you want typical artsy Oshii, go see it. If you want adrenaline and blood pumping action, don't. Macross, Yukikaze, or Area 88 it is most certainly not.

This is such a dick thing to do.

"I downloaded this movie illegally, ignoring the fact that it was licensed immediately upon its release, and it isn't all action so don't buy it. Maybe rent it or something if you want to spend money on it. By the way you can steal it if you want to."

Yeah so you didn't like it, great. Maybe other people will like it more than you did. Actively lobbying other people to not spend any money on it when you never did and never will is just being a dickwad.

And I know you, and you're proud of being that guy, so this will all just seem like stupid prattle to you.

Which is fine. Doesn't change the fact that you're being a dick about this.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Okay, let me try.

I saw the movie legally in the theater in Japan. I liked it.

However, a trailer that shows almost nothing but action scenes does seem rather misleading. The voiceover content is appropriate to the film: it's true, somewhat informative, but doesn't give too much away. But the visuals overpower the words, and gave me the same reaction as the first poster: they made it look like it's nothing but action.

A little balance would target the film better toward the people who may actually end up liking it, and adding a little more variety to the imagery might even make the movie look more interesting.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
In a 60 second trailer?

I think that you guys are asking for too much. The narrative gave a tag line for the title and some explanations. Trailers suppose to get people interested and not reveal the details. The trailer did its job imo.

If you want details, find a review or rent it for a try before you buy it.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

This is such a dick thing to do.

"I downloaded this movie illegally, ignoring the fact that it was licensed immediately upon its release, and it isn't all action so don't buy it. Maybe rent it or something if you want to spend money on it. By the way you can steal it if you want to."

Yeah so you didn't like it, great. Maybe other people will like it more than you did. Actively lobbying other people to not spend any money on it when you never did and never will is just being a dickwad.

And I know you, and you're proud of being that guy, so this will all just seem like stupid prattle to you.

Which is fine. Doesn't change the fact that you're being a dick about this.

Wooooooooow! Shocked

But you're right, it's people like this guy who are responsible for the decline of the anime industry in America. It looks like a cool movie though, just judging from the trailer. I probably won't get around to watching it though.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It's suppose to be a war love story at heart so heart-pounding awesome action is going to be a minimum imo.

Love story? I'll admit that was what drew me to this film, but from reading Justin's review I remain sceptical as to whether it could be accurately described as such. As far as I know, the most appropriate genre under which it falls is 'Oshii'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I'd agree with Zac, but SC is such a tough sell that WOM might be the only thing which helps Sony break even on it. And sometimes negative comments like wal's can have a reverse psychological effect on people. [I.E. "It can't be that bad, can it?"] Furthermore, Justin's the only reviewer who likes it so far, as T.H.E.M. gave it two stars. [I myself am just going to be using my free rental coupon I got in the mail to see it once more before waiting for BD player prices to go down to $20, so I have an excuse to get the version with an Oshii interview.] Plus, I think his last comment is really indicative of why anime's doing so poorly right now, to be honest. Too many short-term fans who are only in it for the instant gratification, and not for the art and story-telling.

Anyway, I just hope the sub-job is better than the English print I saw in my theater. Sony totally ignored tackling the Engrish, even though you can't hear the dialogue over the background music and the plane engines.
Blarghhh

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: Never mind
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1