• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva's Misato Hosts Realtime News Show on PS3s in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
This is both odd and somewhat awesome. Shame they'll never put it on the US systems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:50 am Reply with quote
Definitely needs a video to judge the speech synthesis and phoneme mapping/facial expressions. Using a deliberately stylised psuedo-2d avatar should avoid the usual uncanny valley problems, but also needs far more exaggeration to movements and expressions to convey the same non-verbal information.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The software then uses the voice synthesis engine from Cellius to have Misato read the news blurbs in realtime as if she was the newscaster for a television program called Nerv News 24.

As much as I'd love a rolling news channel presented entirely digitally, I don't think I'd quite appreciate Misato being given the Vocaloid treatment.

Rei would perhaps be a better choice, for reasons which should be obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
This is both odd and somewhat awesome. Shame they'll never put it on the US systems.

I agree with your every sentiment here. Once again I shall pout at the awesomely weird but fun things our Japanese comrades get to enjoy.
ryogasasaki

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
wtf?
Tratious

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
hope its free on the japanese psn so i can download it
toru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
Yahoo Japan is streaming Evangelion2.0 OST recording in London and Yahoo Japan special version trailer.
http://event.yahoo.co.jp/eva2009/message/index.html
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:56 pm Reply with quote
No.

Voice synthesis is garbage.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
This sounds pretty cool. Why can't the American PSN do something like this? The Japanese get all the cool stuff for their PS3's.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Does the vox at least sound like Kotono Mitsuishi? 'Cause if ain't Kotono Mitsuishi I don't give a rat's ass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ramune

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
You can acquire this too if it's free. Look up creating a Japanese PSN account, it's pretty easy with a guide. Then you can access the Japanese PSN and all the benefits like the Japanese only "Ad-Hoc" Pary program for allowing you to play local multiplayer PSP games online with others. Or Mainichi Issho (Everyday Together), a talk-show program with Sony Japan's mascot Toro delivering daily news along with his black colored counterpart Kuro, to name a few.

This Misato program looks like a fun little diversion between games and movies.

Hexon.Arq wrote:
Does the vox at least sound like Kotono Mitsuishi? 'Cause if ain't Kotono Mitsuishi I don't give a rat's ass.

My only concern.
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
if stuff like this was readily available without having to jump through hoops, i would consider buying a ps3. i seem to have a thing for funky stuff like this...
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Is this what was being advertised on the blu-ray? I thought it was some PS3 game for Eva... Embarassed
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
This has to be the most bizarrely awesome news story I've read so far today. Just think how awesome it would be if you could hack into your local 5:00 news program and mess around with their hair and facial features! Fox 6 PUNK NEWS at 5! Rock On!!! Razz
nagato316

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:

No argument there. Without Katsuragi's seiyuu providing the voice, you might as well get Miku Hatsune to recap the news for you.

But I can't help but think...provided this "news service" stays active and viable long enough, wouldn't the news feed encounter increased disruptions (in the form of black screens with either the Nerv or Seele logo, and "Technical Difficulties...Please Stand By" along the bottom of the screen--BTW no video OR audio) towards the year 2015?

*shrug* Hey, someone had to ask.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1