• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Taken Off Comcast, Put on DirecTV

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Who!@ I'm glad it'll be on DirecTV. Thats what I have, and it'll be a good place to preview shows I wouldn't normally take a look at.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
DirecTV here I come...

Well, maybe in a few months when things turn around some more...

But this is definitely a surprising move - I was wondering why I was not able to view any VOD anime on my mom's Comcast since last August - and now I know...
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Well that sucks, I buying DirecTV anyway when I get my own apartment. It should be sooner or later.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't this say "still on DirecTV"? It's been on my DirecTV VOD ever since I got an internet-addressable HD box last Fall. Except for a week that it disappeared, that is.

That said, everything on Anime Network is stuff that ADV licensed like five years ago. Azumanga Daioh is the best thing they have, and it's steeply downhill from there. RahXephon? Angelic Layer? UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie? Other barely-worthy-of-Newtype-USA covers from 2006 series? Check, check, check, and check.

Pass.

--invalidname
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

That said, everything on Anime Network is stuff that ADV licensed like five years ago.

Not everything. Normally the latest new shows go on Anime Network SVOD carriers, but even then DirecTV and Time Warner are getting a lot of Anime Network's new content, like Clannad, Princess Resurrection and Kiba.

DirecTV and TimeWarner also usually get other or more SVOD content before anyone else like, the new shows Aria and Maria Watches Over Us.

It still remains to be seen when the other new spring/summer 2009 shows will going on DirecTV or Time Warner.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean no more 'Clannad' on Comcast On Demand? If so, I guess this means I'll just have to get the series for my library, since I've been enjoying it much to my own surprise.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Does this mean no more 'Clannad' on Comcast On Demand? If so, I guess this means I'll just have to get the series for my library, since I've been enjoying it much to my own surprise.

Unfortunately no more Clannad, Princess Resurrection or Kiba, it seems.

The other choices left other than switching cable companies are to buy the Sentai Filmworks/ADV Films DVD sets or watch it through Anime Network's Online Player subscription service (which is actually cheaper than Comcast's PPV costs).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ADVNation wrote:
even then DirecTV and Time Warner are getting a lot of Anime Network's new content, like Clannad, Princess Resurrection and Kiba.

I'm wondering how long it'll last on TWC (Brighthouse) given its minimal ads to support it.

The only downside to TANOD is the time it takes to run a series. Geez, had I waited, I'd be on ep 7 of Clannad right now. Pfft.

Get Backers is also on, but I just finished season 2 about 20 minutes ago while TANOD sits on ep 3 of season 1. Yikes.

I now use it as a preview station rather than a free anime supply. Because there's no way I can wait a year to watch 26 episodes of a series.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
That's certainly one of the great challenges of VOD.

The large cable companies often only give their content providers (especially if they are not giant media conglomerates like say MTV) very little storage capacity... Usually they give content providers around 10 hrs of content space a month, with each episode having a 3-4 week expiration cycle. So within that limitation... it's tricky to speed through content or there would be a lack of diversity (if they had multiple batches of episodes of a given series).

This was especially bad with Comcast where it was 5 hours for Free VOD content and 5 hrs for PPV SVOD content. I would have to guess that Anime Network was unhappy for all these years that Comcast would not budge and give them a better deal, even though they had a historic relationship. That could not have been positive for either party.

For newer shows though it's mostly treated as they would treat it an airing on a TV network of at most 1 ep a week.

The carriers that do carry Anime Network SVOD package do give Anime Network 3x more space though, so this helps Anime Network go through some of the longer shows faster with episode pairings/consistent episodes a week instead of every 2 or 3 weeks. Plus there's that whole exclusivity thing too. It wouldn't make sense to offer 1 episode a week of Clannad for free and SVOD.

Anime Network Online Player is also a good option for casual Anime fans who aren't necessarily interested in supreme video quality and bells and whistles... a lot of the episodes for previous titles are all up, all at once, and new series episodes like those for Clannad and Princess Resurrection are going up with more frequency.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I guess this means I'll just have to get the series for my library

A highly underused resource that everyone should use when they can't afford the traditional means of legally acquiring anime.
Busaiku Chama

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a real shame.
I had just started Getbackers, and was willing to wait the year or so to watch it in its full, but now I won't get the chance.

However, since I did get to at least see what I did, I'm all up for buying it.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
oh man I thought it would be a 24/7 NETWORK I don't do VOD. anime and Funi channels would be beater then a lot other crap channels thay have.
Jetstream2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
First Comcast removes Anime Selects and now they remove the Anime Network. They just have to do this when I start getting into Get Backers as well. Evil or Very Mad

I liked watching shows I've never heard of and can't stream legally online, on both Anime Selects and the Anime Network, to determine if they are worth buying. With both of them gone now I can't do that. I see no reason to keep Comcast with just Funimation left there. I can watch their shows for free and legally in so many other places. I may as well change to a different cable company.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I am curious if this will have any ramifications towards the Time-Warner service as well. Quite honestly, the service has seemed very spotty to me with seemingly random episode updates as well as series being wholly removed without their full run (as in the case of Cutie Honey).
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
All we had here was the on demand service, and the selection mostly stunk after awhile (thanks ADVNation for clearing up why). The last thing I watched on it was the finale to Fumoffu. I had noticed they had cut down Anime Selects significantly. They made Anime Network's offering amount a joke in comparison at one time.

Sad to see them go, but most of what they played I'd already seen, owned, or didn't want to watch in English or period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3