• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece's Newest Episode Leaked Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
beckpro19 wrote:
i don't really care for me one suscribere is a lot

But you'd be posting something you didn't make, for the sake of getting the attention of others. Why not post videos you make yourself? Why not write fanfiction or make fanart and post them online? Why not create your own thing? You're not contributing any ideas, you're just being the most base form of attention whore.

I don't like how a lot of fandom "creativity" just involves posting someonelses stuff online.

Well it's a way for talentless dorks to gain attention based on someone else's work. To some degree it works too, because people are dumb enough to give them attention for it. The sheep regularly thank people for taking someone else's fansubs, which are inturn someone else's property to begin with, and posting em to youtube.

I have a youtube account myself, with no videos on it what so ever or channel data (like who i am, etc). It has a few hundred hits over the course of about a month or two. If I can get THAT many hits WITHOUT ANY CONTENT, then no one needs to steal content to get attention. Just talk.

I watch guys like Marriland (who does pokemon walkthrough's and commentary) and Kalelprime (a transformers lore nerd of great knowledge). They both have a lot of hits, and in both cases, especially Kalel's, they are both just talking about what they love. Giving an opinion or some direction.

Anyone can use youtube, with a reasonable web cam and/or screen recorder.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Joseph Joestar's thoughts on the issue:

There you have it, folks. Rolling Eyes

I think this is more accurate and fitting. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

2 notes: 1) I don't hate other countries, I hate other countries who have fans that whinge about not getting anime where they live and solely blame the US industry.

I assume that you meant to say "I hate fans in other countries that whine," and not the actual countries themselves?

Yes of course. Thanks for pointing that out, I must of missed that through the raging flames of despise and disgust in my eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
All you people laying the blame on Funimation are making me a bit ill. Seriously. You're the kind of asswipes that honestly believes a woman deserves to be raped simply because she's wearing a short skirt aren't you?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

And all you people bitching because you wouldn't have been able to stream it... grow the hell up! I live in Canada, and I still wouldn't have been able to stream it because we don't have anything other than dial-up out were I live. I'm not pissing on everyone else's parade simply because I'm not going to benefit from it.

I'm not even going to talk about all the "fans" who believe that not financially supporting the companies is OK. Others have commented on how retarded you are, I wont waste my time.

I really hope Toei gives Funimation another chance. Someday I'll have access to high-speed, and I'd love for my first foray into the glorious present to be an episode of One Piece. I'll eventually have it on DVD anyway.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
4.) The individual who leaked this is not a fansubber, therefore it is impossible for that fansubber to be representative of the fansubbing community (I am NOT talking about fansub downloaders, but only those who do actual fansubbing).

Just curious why you keep saying this.
As far as I've heard, no one knows who committed this act.
You keep stating this as fact, which could lead people to believe one of two things: You did it, or know who did, and thus know the culprit, or you have access to knowledge that would lead to such conclusions.

Until it is reported of who the culprit is, we don't know if they are a fansubber or not.

As to the rest of the topic, I've never had an interest in One Piece, but I do find it bothersome that when free streams from the distributors finally starts making head way, we get put back to square one again. Brotherhood was also removed, which i was following. Mass punishment, i hated it in the military, i hate it now, but the true bad side of this is the legal crowd out there are the only ones actually being punished. Evil or Very Mad
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this is hilarious.

I can't believe Funi had such horrible security behind their website. You can easily access their content just by changing the URL. Really? In this day and age? That's some '95 era shit.

Yes, Funi is the victim here, but that's entirely their fault for not having better security. When they have a high-stake deal with other Japanese companies going on, I am astounded they would flub it so idiotically.

I'll bet their IT division is going to be majorly overhauled, and we're going to be seeing a fortress of internet defense being erected. That's what they should have had right from the start, anyway, and what they'll do if they want to salvage the deal if they have any spark in that brain of theirs.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
We can't have nice things because a fandom is so obsessed with its "anime grows on trees" mentality that even the slightest restriction drives them to do things like hack businesses. And now everyone suffers.

One Piece is dead in North America. Thanks weaboos!

Sad but true. Really people, an hour isn't much. I waited and waited for Funimation to grab the license to One Piece (unedited though) and luckily it happened. However, I thought by legally subtitling one hour after it aired in Japan was a huge step. And then some jerk decided to ruin it, causing Funimation and Toei to have to act fast.

Thanks for ruining a great chance to move forward "fans". Because of this, we keep on going back to the same damn spot we were orginally.

I agree, it's ridiculous...

And I really hope that we get our Simulcast back just like we were supposed to have it. I hate it so much when one person ruins a great privilege for everybody. I feel like I'm right back in grade school.

Really nobody should have had such low patience that they had to watch the episode that early. We never get fansubbed episodes an hour after they air in Japan. It was such a great opportunity, one I was going to take advantage of and support FUNimation and Toei, etc. by streaming it on their site every Saturday night.

But now look what happened? Because of one idiot, those of us who were properly waiting to watch it last night don't get to watch it at all. T_T

Agreed. This literally reminds of grade school, if you got in trouble, the entire class was in trouble. All it took was some stupid incident like this and now the prvilage of legally viewing One Piece is taken away. The maturity of some people online is exceptionally embarassing.

But I think this whole sitution can be sumed up by this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsuhwYZihro
Miitan

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe the amount of stupid in this thread.

sena_h_dei wrote:
All you people laying the blame on Funimation are making me a bit ill. Seriously. You're the kind of asswipes that honestly believes a woman deserves to be raped simply because she's wearing a short skirt aren't you?

What the hell is it with fail analogies? Your analogy bears no relation to the topic at hand in any way, shape or form. It's not even twistable into some slightly valid analogy of the situation. What has changing two numbers in a url got to do with the very serious crime of rape?

With that out of the way:

First Funimation leaves the file URL in the source code for anyone who can copy and paste and put two and two together to view whichever episode they want to and people are claiming that Funimation were "hacked". Damn, if hacking is that easy they should arrest me now for downloading Youtube videos using FlashGot, guilty as charged Guv'.

Yes, the subbers (and subsequent distributers) were in the wrong certainly but the chances of Funimation tracking down the original seeder for the torrent successfully are something I wouldn't like to bet money on. As pointed out earlier, the only way they'd be able to proceed would be to sue EVERYONE who attempted to access the file on their servers before it's official release date and, if that's a significant number, it's not going to be practical. If it also turns out that a majority of those people are not under US jurisdiction then the chances of anything being done, excepting the posting of empty threats, is insignificant.

So Funimation no longer streams One Piece (or FMA apparantly). Whether this is due to Toei pulling the plug or Funimation trying to keep face the result is the same. People who kept up to date on One Piece before we had Simulcasting will continue to keep up to date with their regularly scheduled 'few hours after showing in Japan' fansubs. Nothing has changed and thus the decision taken by Funimation confuses me to no end from a business point of view. Unless it's confirmed that Toei are the ones behind the call to pull the plug then we're going to have to assume it was Funimation's call to pull the files and a bad one at that.

Last edited by Miitan on Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
^ Exactly.

I do ask the wisdom in supporting Funi here. It's not the first time episodes were leaked from the site, so those who did download it probably operated under the assumption that it was alright to do so, since Funi would have to be blind not to notice this happening. And since Funi let it go, well... We have our result!

Besides, there's no indication there is a "culprit". It's like leaving the Crown Jewels for all to see with the assumption no one will touch them. Even if all who are aware of them hold them sacred, all it takes is one individual unaware of the context to decide there's something shiny there worth some money to pick them up and go.

"Disrespect" towards Funi is a knee-jerk response with this kind of flimsy security, and a laughable opposing argument.
dan888

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Steel Angel wrote:
dan888 wrote:
4.) The individual who leaked this is not a fansubber, therefore it is impossible for that fansubber to be representative of the fansubbing community (I am NOT talking about fansub downloaders, but only those who do actual fansubbing).

You keep stating this as fact, which could lead people to believe one of two things: You did it, or know who did, and thus know the culprit, or you have access to knowledge that would lead to such conclusions.

Until it is reported of who the culprit is, we don't know if they are a fansubber or not.

I later apologized for this post, as when I had posted this, I had thought the Horrible sub torrent was the first release, a group known only for their crunchyroll rips. I cannot say that for sure now that I have learned another torrent existed prior to the horrible subs release.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
sena_h_dei wrote:

No. Just no. Don't even try to go there. If I hire a security guard to watch a warehouse and that security guard falls asleep on the job, thus allowing someone to waltz in and steal everything in the warehouse, am I supposed to pat the guard on the shoulder and say: "Don't sweat it, nobody is to blame except that horrible thief!"? No. That is not what is going to happen. I will see to it that the thief is prosecuted to the full extent of the law if he is caught. But the first thing I am going to do is fire that incompetent security guard and hire someone who can and will do the job. Whoever was in charge of securing Funimation's data was the sleeping guard. They did not commit the crime, but they certainly did not make it a difficult task for the person who did. That's what most people who are "blaming Funimation" are talking about. Funimation was careless about their data security and they got a good swift kick in the ass as a result. Hopefully they will learn from this experience and the relationship with Toei and other Japanese companies has not been poisoned beyond repair.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
dan888 wrote:
Steel Angel wrote:
dan888 wrote:

I later apologized for this post, as when I had posted this, I had thought the Horrible sub torrent was the first release, a group known only for their crunchyroll rips. I cannot say that for sure now that I have learned another torrent existed prior to the horrible subs release.

From what I have actually seen myself and from the gossip I've heard there was one group (or 2?) that actually had it up before Horrible Subs.
dan888

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
dan888 wrote:
Steel Angel wrote:
dan888 wrote:

From what I have actually seen myself and from the gossip I've heard there was one group (or 2?) that actually had it up before Horrible Subs.

No idea if it is two, but it is at least 1, and when I originally made that statement I had thought it was zero (not enough research at the time)
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Miitan wrote:
First Funimation leaves the file URL in the source code for anyone who can copy and paste and put two and two together to view whichever episode they want to and people are claiming that Funimation were "hacked". Damn, if hacking is that easy they should arrest me now for downloading Youtube videos using FlashGot, guilty as charged Guv'.

I love how the people who were probably behind this are altering the narrative.

1) FUNi never said they were hacked. They said they were compromised. There is a difference and it is an important distinction.

2) The URL was never in the actual source code from any point after they added ads. (I have previously proved that this is currently the case. I cannot actually prove it but this has been the case for a long time now.) Either some Firefox plugin or some other program would have been required to see the actual source URL. All that has been in the source code is a unique piece of the name of the actual file.
Miitan

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:31 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Miitan wrote:

I love how the people who were probably behind this are altering the narrative.

1) FUNi never said they were hacked. They said they were compromised. There is a difference and it is an important distinction.

I stated specifically
Quote:
and people are claiming that Funimation were "hacked".
So please read more carefully next time.

bayoab wrote:
2) The URL was never in the actual source code from any point after they added ads. (I have previously proved that this is currently the case. I cannot actually prove it but this has been the case for a long time now.) Either some Firefox plugin or some other program would have been required to see the actual source URL. All that has been in the source code is a unique piece of the name of the actual file.

Quote:
Prior to One Piece leak, their site (onepieceofficial.com) had the URL as such: videoplayer.swf?VideoLink=http://ne.edgecastcdn.net/000D9C/SWFs/FUN_ONE_PIECE_392_JPN_640X360

This was the case up until recently so if I had to update my previous comments it would be to add 'add .flv at the end of the filename" to be completely correct.

Considering that until recently users of the lynx browser have confirmed that this was in plain sight (although it isn't now), it would be safe to say that this corroborates my previous statements. Even now anyone who has the FlashGot plugin for Firefox, as you rightly stated, can still see the URL pointing to the .flv file just by clicking their right mouse button once, and their left once on the 'FlashGot Media' button. From there it's not a leap of faith to add one to the number at the end.

Considering that if the plugin in question obtained data in any way that could be considered nefarious, you would think that the Mozilla Foundation would not have allowed it to be posted on the official list of Firefox Plugins page. We can therefore also assume that the way in which it obtains this information is entirely using pre-established internet standards and thus non-infringing.

Last edited by Miitan on Sun May 31, 2009 9:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 35