• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Big Windup! Episodes 1-7 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:02 am Reply with quote
Ah! Nice to see an early review of this; big props to ANN for putting it up and giving this show some much-needed exposure. I'm also delighted see that Carl really likes the series.

I give Big Windup! full credit for reinvigorating my love for baseball, as it's a series that even a casual baseball fan can enjoy. Well, if you can stand Mihashi and the slash fiction/yaoi pandering, that is. The series really captures baseball at its finest, as the attention to detail is remarkable. Not to mention the art is very appealing when it comes to female characters. Smile

This series needs second season badly though. Here's hoping the anime doesn't follow the sad sports anime trend and does well over here. Either that or some lovely company licenses the manga.

Last edited by Jedi General on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:07 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
On Funimation site, I watched an episode and thought the series was the English was excellent. I much rather watch a series with English audio, then have to squint the entire time and end up with a bit of eye strain.

Overall, this is a pretty decent series. But the english audio was fantasic.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Oofuri!! One of the best anime series, imo. It's one that I never get tired of re-watching.

Personally, I couldn't stand the dub, but if you liked it, then I think you'll be more than pleased with the original Japanese which is waaaaaaay better. FYI, Yonaga Tsubasa won Best Male Rookie at the 2008 Seiyuu Awards for his role as Mihashi.

There needs to be a second season. Seriously. The second half of the series is pretty much just the game against Tousei. While there are many episodes dedicated to this one match, it doesn't seem too drawn out and the game is quite exciting.

Looking forward to the R1 release! I really hope this series does well in the States.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed those 7 eps a lot. The odd thing is I don't like baseball that much. I like the better competition anime out there, and this is quite good. It's more about the people playing the game, than the game itself in my opinion. I also never felt like it was ever too corny or silly. That is something many other sports anime have a problem with.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:02 am Reply with quote
I am glad to see this series get a good review. I really enjoyed it despite not being a sports fan in real life. But what made this series for me was not the sports aspect but the character aspect. Although I did find Mishashi annoying at times the rest of the characters and the sense of team work really made up for it. And I agree with the review not seeing the other teams turn into villains was also a nice touch.

I have not watched the dub yet because I am waiting for the DVD release (otherwise there will be nothing to look forward to when I get the DVD) but I am glad to hear it is a solid dub.

I am also hoping this series sells well so maybe there will be a better chance of Cross Game getting licensed, another baseball series I am really enjoying.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:04 am Reply with quote
This is the first time I've seen an actual ANN review based on official streams. Is there a chance we'll see more of these in the future, or is this pretty much a one time thing?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
This is the first time I've seen an actual ANN review based on official streams. Is there a chance we'll see more of these in the future, or is this pretty much a one time thing?

Expect more. More more more. A lot more.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Big Windup! Its coming out on dvd and I will pick it up- I loved it. I'm not normally into sport anime but for some reason the main character was so spoiler[bad, that I didn't think he'd get better].

I've only seen up to episode 4, on fvuni's youtube page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Well, if you can stand the slash fiction/yaoi pandering, that is.

Yet another reason the internet must die. When I watched the show when it was on TV, the whole "BL" thing didn't even flicker in my brain. The show is THAT GOOD.

Then it was licensed, I wanted to get the word out about the show, and I start hearing "yaoi" being thrown around in talking about Oofuri. Apparently this show was like the foundation for a whole new wave of BL fans and slash material. All I can do is be completely lost on this subject.

DO NOT let any of that deter you from picking up Big Windup! This show has everything; Drama, comedy, life lessons, and fun characters. Plus you will learn more about baseball from this show then any anime, it's actually pretty complex.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Well, if you can stand the slash fiction/yaoi pandering, that is.

Yet another reason the internet must die. When I watched the show when it was on TV, the whole "BL" thing didn't even flicker in my brain. The show is THAT GOOD.

Then it was licensed, I wanted to get the word out about the show, and I start hearing "yaoi" being thrown around in talking about Oofuri. Apparently this show was like the foundation for a whole new wave of BL fans and slash material. All I can do is be completely lost on this subject.

DO NOT let any of that deter you from picking up Big Windup! This show has everything; Drama, comedy, life lessons, and fun characters. Plus you will learn more about baseball from this show then any anime, it's actually pretty complex.

It's the anime fandom's fault as it is with internet. It is truly sickning that some people think like this and actually think its alright to do so. This reminds of me when Toradora first aired and most people thought it would be another stupid moe/fanservice/drama, just because Taiga is short and had a attitude. An episode later showed these ignorant fools not to judge a series based on one character.

Big Windup is a pretty interesting story. Don't let the nonsense about yaoi and all that stupidity deter one from watching this.
dpkworldwide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Big Windup is a pretty interesting story. Don't let the nonsense about yaoi and all that stupidity deter one from watching this.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't see how anyone could seriously construe this show as Yaoi/BL--the couple of minor possibilities were inserted more as humorous double-entendre throwaways. But I digress...

This show is perhaps my favorite anime of the last couple of years and definitely in my top 5 of all time. I liked it well enough that I plunked down a substantial amount of cash to buy the actual Japanese DVDs from amazon.co.jp because I had previously only dreamed this series would come to the US. The artwork, characters and story are just so believable and endearing. This is not one of those sports anime where the main character has godlike powers with lightning bolts shooting out of his arm as he throws or has the team making impossible, gravity- and physics-defying plays. No, this is extremely plausible and is what makes the show such a winner.

This is also coming from someone who really couldn't care less about baseball (during the two live games I had to actually suffer through in my life, my favorite part was the 7th-inning stretch, because I could stand up and sing...). But the show is so well done that I was completely absorbed in all the baseball lingo, tactics and so forth. The games really are suspenseful and exciting.

But the characters and their interactions and development are what is so great. If you're annoyed by Mihashi's whining at the beginning, just wait and see what he develops into--he'll surprise you. The other characters on the team actually have a purpose and they actually become "real" as the show progresses. All part of the charm of this gem of a show.

HUGE kudos to Funimation--the only US anime house I believe in anymore--for bringing this show to us. Go ahead and pre-order 2 copies of the show like I did: one for yourself and one for a friend. Funimation deserves the support and your friend will be grateful too.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
dpkworldwide wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't see how anyone could seriously construe this show as Yaoi/BL--the couple of minor possibilities were inserted more as humorous double-entendre throwaways. But I digress...

This show is perhaps my favorite anime of the last couple of years and definitely in my top 5 of all time. I liked it well enough that I plunked down a substantial amount of cash to buy the actual Japanese DVDs from amazon.co.jp because I had previously only dreamed this series would come to the US. The artwork, characters and story are just so believable and endearing. This is not one of those sports anime where the main character has godlike powers with lightning bolts shooting out of his arm as he throws or has the team making impossible, gravity- and physics-defying plays. No, this is extremely plausible and is what makes the show such a winner.

This is also coming from someone who really couldn't care less about baseball (during the two live games I had to actually suffer through in my life, my favorite part was the 7th-inning stretch, because I could stand up and sing...). But the show is so well done that I was completely absorbed in all the baseball lingo, tactics and so forth. The games really are suspenseful and exciting.

But the characters and their interactions and development are what is so great. If you're annoyed by Mihashi's whining at the beginning, just wait and see what he develops into--he'll surprise you. The other characters on the team actually have a purpose and they actually become "real" as the show progresses. All part of the charm of this gem of a show.

HUGE kudos to Funimation--the only US anime house I believe in anymore--for bringing this show to us. Go ahead and pre-order 2 copies of the show like I did: one for yourself and one for a friend. Funimation deserves the support and your friend will be grateful too.

Exactly. Similar with Eyeshield 21, Sena may be a bit whiny at the begnining, but later on, he actually surprized me. This also is from a person who isn't interested much in sports.

I agree, huge kudo's should go to Funimation. I've always like Funimation since the Dragon Ball era, but recently have found them to become even better. First Funimation saves Karin, then saves Law Of Ueki and then even re-licenses One Piece and offers the unedited, uncut version. After that, they license the new Eva movie and now Funimation licensed this promising series.

I've already bought Karin, but I know I am buying at least two copies of the new Eva movie, for two of my friends.

Edit: I've actually watched four of the seven episodes on the Funimation site and I am plesently surprized on how much I am enjoying this series. Greg Aryes and Tod Haberkorn(Suzuka) also star in this show, so that is a plus. But another plus is the coach, but that speaks for itself.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I love baseball and sports in general but I do agree that this is the kind of series where you don't have to care, or even know a thing, about baseball. It's the character development and interactions that make it so great.

I hope everyone gives Oofuri a chance!
And kudos to FUNi for changing the logo and adding "Oofuri" onto it.
musouka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
dpkworldwide wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't see how anyone could seriously construe this show as Yaoi/BL--the couple of minor possibilities were inserted more as humorous double-entendre throwaways.

It's there to appeal to a certain segment of the audience. They could have just as easily wrote the series without blushy hand-holding, confessions that use the same phrasing as your average romantic confession, and several other romance series staples, such as spoiler[ "worrying about the ex"].

The fact that several people get so angry at implied homoerotic subtext is more annoying than the people that pick up on it in the first place, and anyone that would give the show a pass because of undertones doesn't deserve to watch it in the first place.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
The fact that several people get so angry at implied homoerotic subtext is more annoying than the people that pick up on it in the first place, and anyone that would give the show a pass because of undertones doesn't deserve to watch it in the first place.

IAWTC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2