• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Considers Drawing Porco Rosso Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news. I absolutely loved the first movie, which was released by Disney and I thought they did an awesome job on the English dubbing. Michael Keaton was perfect as the voice of Porco and I'm excited over this sequel.

I think Porco Rosso would be awesome as a television series and I'd love to see Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli produce a television series on Porco Rosso.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't hold my breath. In an interview about a year ago, Miyazaki said that after Ponyo, he'd be working on short films for the Ghibli Museum. This sounds right up the alley of the museum.

Also, I got to see Mei and the Kitten Bus (Mei to Koneko) when I went to the museum. It was quite enjoyable. I really wish they'd release a Ghibli Museum short-film collection in America.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Well, If I'm not mistaken, the original Porco Rosso was originally scheduled as a short-film for Japan Airlines but was later expanded into a full length movie. While Miyazaki may have remarked on that years ago about short films, I'm pretty sure that this is one sequel that fans will be fanatic about.

I'm also pretty sure that this sequel will be developed into a full length film. Remember, the original Porco Rosso went through the same process.
toru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Model Graphix revealed it in the March isuue, not July issue.
"Kaze Tachinu" is not two-part, it still continues.
Model Graphix reports that Porco Rosso sequel is manga.
Miyazaki said in his latest interview "I do not want to make a sequel while remembering my past film."
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
Actually, he did produce a sequel to one of his films. Wasn't The Cat Returns an indirect sequel to Whisper of the Heart?
MysteryGreenTea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Porco Rosso. But, Miyazaki's films are always brillant. I would look forward to any project he considers working on. Smile I wonder what Ponyo would be like? To have a movie done entirely in crayon just amazes me. Anime hyper
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ponyo isn't drawn in crayon... it's traditional animation with watercolour-inspired colours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NERVchild

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty awesome news in any case. If it becomes a full fledged movie that has a hope of coming stateside, then this shall become epic news. C'mon, Miyazaki-sama, show use another great one!
Quote:
This is awesome news. I absolutely loved the first movie, which was released by Disney and I thought they did an awesome job on the English dubbing. Michael Keaton was perfect as the voice of Porco and I'm excited over this sequel.

I saw the Disney dub as well as an original English dub. The only thing I remember about the original is that the sky pirates sounded dumber and the pig jokes were better.
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Porco Rosso is my favorite film of his, so this is a good surprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
NERVchild wrote:

I saw the Disney dub as well as an original English dub. The only thing I remember about the original is that the sky pirates sounded dumber and the pig jokes were better.

There was another dub of Porco Rosso? I didn't know that.

But yeah, this is my favorite Miyazaki film, ANY kind of new material would be awesome. Sadly, I somehow misplaced my copy after coming back from visiting family, so I ahven't been able to see it for a while. Crying or Very sad
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Actually, he did produce a sequel to one of his films. Wasn't The Cat Returns an indirect sequel to Whisper of the Heart?

Miyazaki didn't direct either of those films and, in any case, while The Cat Returns features a couple of characters from Whisper Of The Heart (in entirely different contexts) it isn't a sequel by any stretch of the imagination.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
They are still Studio Ghibli films and from what I remember, Miyazaki did have limited involvement with Whisper of the Heart.

I have all of Miyazaki's movies (Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky along with Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns) and he's the only director where I've purchased all of his movies.

I only wish Disney would get off their collective asses and release "Only Yesterday."
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It would be great if they would get around to doing a Porco Rosso sequel. PR is my favorite Miyazaki film.

I'd love to see an Italian dub with English subs -- if such an animal existed.
wushu-4-ever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
AGAIN: (besides being old news > March) this is about Porco II manga NOT animation!! For those interested I'll post more details on GhibliWorld.com when I find the time (probably today or tomorrow). Will be posting details on Kaza Tachinu's July edition as well.

Peter van der Lugt
GhibliWorld.com
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
If any Miyazaki movie needs a sequel, it's Nausicaa. Even he said that. Still Porco Rosso was just as brillant. If there is one theme that Miyazaki wants everyone to see, it's his love of machanical things that fly. I guess that could be because his parents worked in a factory, during the war, making the tails for the Mitsubishi A6M Reisen, aka Zero fighter. I wonder if he had the same affection for the PBY Catalina? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1