• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sand Chronicles GN 3-5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sand Chronicles, however, a literal translation of the Japanese title Suna-dokei, is emphatically not one of these.

Actually, the literal translation of sunadokei is "hourglass," not "sand chronicles." I never understood why they changed it (and I have no idea where you got the "Zen overtones" from...).

Good review otherwise, though. You really hit the strength of this manga right on the head, which is its willingness to tackle issues in a shoujo series that most would leave for josei. It takes its readers seriously, and makes it a great piece of teen fiction as a result. Hopefully my library will have volume 5 so I can spend a nice rainy afternoon hour reading it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Casey Brienza wrote:
...when DAIGO runs away from home, he shacks up with a divorced mother/hostess club worker...

No, that was Fuji. The other one.

Why's "Daigo" always capitalized in this article?

I was actually kind of annoyed by those chapters because it suddenly introduced new characters and I didn't really care about them...at least they didn't overstay their welcome.

This is half-way, is it? That's probably a good thing. In my experiance, ten volumes is a good length...any longer and it risks having been artifically drawn out.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Why's "Daigo" always capitalized in this article?

It's their program that automatically detects links. DAIGO is the stage name of a voice actor.

Quote:
This is half-way, is it? That's probably a good thing. In my experiance, ten volumes is a good length...any longer and it risks having been artifically drawn out.

Well, it depends on the story... but I'd agree, 10 feels about right for a very personal, intimate series about four friends and their families, which is what this has been.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a manga I can find interesting.

It's coterie, not cohort. Coterie is a collective of like minded individuals. Cohort is a single person who helps another to attain a goal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1