• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - All E3, All The Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
So much great news this week. Way to much to list.

Final Fantasy 14 announcement did bother me. 11 weak spots that killed the game for me, but I really hope they took note of what the fans mostly complained about, like the BS level system and pretty much forced to team after level 10.

Nintendo needs to stop putting people in a coma before bring in the big titles. I started to watch Steve Wiebe try to beat the record on Donkey Kong while they talking about sports and stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
More Monkey Island? Yay!
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:
FFXI is 7 years old, so it's time for the next generation FFmmorpg.

I understand that. But I don't play MMORPGs. I'd much rather see them split the online games from standard series and continue work on another single player installment....

Well, that's what I would have said if I still cared for Final Fantasy, but at this point Square can do whatever they like as far as I'm concerned. Razz
What does it matter if they "split the online games off" or not anyway?

Every single FF is different from the others, though some have more in common than others. IX was a throwback to the Nintendo era FFs. XIII is a spiritual successor to VII, according to Square. FF XIV is the successor to FF XI. And so on. And besides, it's not like XIV's development team has anything to do with any of the teams working on the XIII projects. It's primarily being done by XI alum (who were, in turn, previously the Chrono Cross team), has been in development since 2004 (under the code name of Rapture), and is a logical step for the series.

I do understand why a lot of people have problems with XI. I personally have something of a love-hate relationship with the game (though for the most part I'd say I look upon it warmly for its positive attributes). It is a shame that a lot of people skipped out on Vana'diel, though. Such a great and really richly developed world. Easily one of my favorite worlds in the FF franchise.

Hopefully Square will learn from what DIDN'T work in XI (and the things that technically did work for XI but probably wouldn't work in a next gen MMO) and make changes to XIV based on that. I'm looking forward to seeing what makes XIV unique.

Also, it seems like some of you saying "bu-but XIII isn't out yet, why would you talk about XIV?!" seem to have forgotten the past. There was a time back in January 2000 where, on the very same day, Square announced FFs IX, X, and XI all at once and had trailers for each (though XI's trailer was mostly just concept art).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
The episodic Monkey Island (i.e., the new stuff) is by Telltale, who've done the recent Sam & Max, Wallace & Gromit, and Strong Bad games. LucasArts is just putting their name on it (really, all LA does anymore is license stuff, mostly Star Wars). Then again, many of the Telltale people are ex-LucasArts adventure game developers, so it's in better hands at Telltale than if Lucas were actually involved.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Final Fantasy 14 announcement did bother me. 11 weak spots that killed the game for me, but I really hope they took note of what the fans mostly complained about, like the BS level system and pretty much forced to team after level 10.

I take it you haven't been on XI in a while. They made a LOT of fixes to the exp and leveling system over the last couple years, making it far far more accessible to new players and making solo adventuring and leveling much much more rewarding and plausible than it once was.

With my last XI character I don't believe I even joined a proper party at all until my level was into the 20s and i had a leveled up subjob (and I managed to mostly avoid grinding in the Valkurm Dunes for the levels in the teens, which back in the day was absolutely mandatory and non-negotiable).

I suspect they've taken those lessons with them to XIV.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
Seeing the trailer for Metroid: Other M, and then reading how Team Ninja makes fighting games, places a great skepticism within me regarding this new Metroid title.

It really pisses me off Retro Studios is gone forever, as the last 3 games were freakin' awesome and helped me get over the first person stereotyping of games. Metroid Prime remains my all-time favorite game, and while its other two sequels were very impressive, the original stands simple because of the "Wow!" factor.

The video clip definitely shows quite a bit of fighting identical to the moves found in Dead or Alive, which is damn disappointing. I never cared for the clunky moves of the DoA series.

I'll reserve judgment until the game's released and the reviews hit. Based from these will be whether or not my damn Wii finally gets a new game in its library.

It's been so damn long since a title's been made for this console worth a purchase. I'm probably the only person on this planet with a brown Wii, thanks to the build up of dust on it.
White Lightning Alchemist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
It really pisses me off Retro Studios is gone forever...

They're not gone, they just aren't working on Metroid this time around. They've moved on to a different IP, but no one knows what...
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 am Reply with quote
Reel Fishing: Angler's Dream is out next week too!
How can you forget that game?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
When I was watching Sony's E3 conference (watched all of them so far except for Nintendo's), I thought it was pretty sad that Final Fantasy VII being released on PSN got the biggest crowd reaction. I don't mind that people like it, but most people have already played the game. Why get more excited over an old game than a new one?

In any case, I certainly hope the Japanese are holding out their titles for TGS, because the Western developers blew them out of the water with games like Alan Wake, Heavy Rain and Assassin's Creed 2. The only really interesting games from Japan are Dead Rising 2 (which is absent, of course) and Lost Planet 2, both of which are pretty "Western".
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
OMG!! There was a 'Project Eden' game? That's funny. Funny that I still can't get the damn movie box. Guess there was no 'Pas de deux' or 'Safari Eyes' in that game. I'm going to try and search for vids on it. I'm curious to see it.

FF14, we'll you knew that was coming. They're talking about an FF14, yet they haven't even gotten the damn FF13 game out yet. Not to mention there is like 3 games - 'Versus' and 'Fabula Nova Crystallis'. We're not even getting the first one until Spring 2010. While I'm retired from the newer FF games on the 7th generation systems (FF12 is my last), I am curious about the overall game.

Golden Sun remake? I think I'll bite. I heard mixed feeling about this game when it was on GBA. I never had the chance to make up my mind to buy it. So I may consider now.

PSP Go, looks good. Of course they redesign it to the point that the software has to be changed. Better grab a PSP while they're still around.

Never played 'Monkey Island', but I know a fellow on a forum that is obsessed with the series. So I know he'll be excited.

Claymore on the DS. Surprised you covered this one. I saw it on a retail site (as it not to long ago came out). I was kind of surprised to see a game based off the series which started 8 years ago. But as you know these types of games are hardly ever good.

Can't wait to hear more coverage.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm happy about Golden Sun 3 myself. Well it's being called Golden Sun for the DS but it's really Golden Sun 3. It's just a small little RPG game that was on the Game Boy and most people over looked it. it's very fun and engaging though. Plus I've always been a fan of RPG games and especially titles that kind of never got the spot light as the main big ones. Stuff like Legend of Dragoon, the Shining Force series, or the Lunar games. I was always busy playing those more then Final Fantasy games. So after several years seeing a new Golden Sun game is good news for me. Now if only they'd make a 3rd Lunar game....

I was extremely happy about another Golden Sun, but Nintendo has to go and ruin it with 3D deformed images. I've been a gamer for fifteen years and I have mostly played rpg games. Golden Sun may have not been the most "coolest" game, but at least it was fun, entertaining and wasn't stupid.

Shining Force was also a fun game to play, but Lunar was also fantastic. I played Lunar I and Lunar II, but even after all these years, I would still like see Lunar Three.

I would also like to see Nintendo license Mother Three once and for all. Nintendo seems to have forgotten that they wouldn't be as successful as they are today without the 90's gamers like me.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
White Lightning Alchemist wrote:
They're not gone, they just aren't working on Metroid this time around. They've moved on to a different IP, but no one knows what...

By name, you're correct. By talent, they are gone.
The 3 key employees, who helped redefine the Metroid series, left Retro Studios.

We can only hope for the best, but history shows otherwise.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:35 am Reply with quote
E3 this year has been good all around. Microsoft didn't have anything severely surprising except for MGS: Rising (Go Raiden!!!!) but was well done. I'll have to see on Project Natal, but it does have potential.

Nintendo was the real surprise maker with stuff like Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Golden Sun DS, and a brand new Metroid developed by Team Ninja. And for those being skeptical: STOP IT. Keep in mind that the Prime trilogy could have been a disaster but Nintendo will not let someone screw up one of their beloved franchises so it's safe to say that Team Ninja is being kept on a pretty short leash. All in all Nintendo definitely made up for last year and I would go as far to say that they had the best conference.

As for Sony...-sigh-. It took them nearly and hour and a half to show anything interesting or surprising. I had actually muted it until Assassin's Creed 2 showed up and even the exclusives didn't pop up until the tail end of the conference. I would say I was disappointed, but this is just what Sony does these days.

Now I just want to see what the third parties have like Capcom and SqEx; still don't know what that mystery Capcom game is but apparently Tatsunoko vs Capcom is dropping one character and adding five more for the American release.
crossbred900

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
I loved golden sun, but never beat the sequel. Did it have a code at the end like the first one? I might have to get them out and play them again in case the new one will take a code.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
it's pretty obvious Metal Gear Solid Rising is just a cash-in. Kojima's making a surprising amount of effort to distance himself from it. last night he said he's not working on it at all, other than producing. he is however, doing all the work on Peace Walker.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/990/990448p1.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4