• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Phantom Episode 10 Leaked 1 Day Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Not that anyone in japan cares, the TV ratings for this show has been horrible.
Latest ep also dead last in TV ratings with a 0.5%

Yeah...a shocker considering it's the exact same thing as Noir, El Cazador and Madlax, but with a dude and chick instead of two chicks. Or that's it's the typical Bee Train "let's add dramatic music while focusing on eyes/landscape" series (.hack//ROOTS 7 Tsubasa , I mean YOU bastards)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Yeah...a shocker considering it's the exact same thing as Noir, El Cazador and Madlax, but with a dude and chick instead of two chicks. Or that's it's the typical Bee Train "let's add dramatic music while focusing on eyes/landscape" series (.hack//ROOTS 7 Tsubasa , I mean YOU bastards)
crilix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 am Reply with quote
The story of this adaptation is older than Noir's so... As for the TV ratings, they don't mean much because shows like these are driven by DVD sales and tie-ins, however considering this is Bee Train and that Japan is holding some kind of grudge against them, as far back as I can see into the past, this might not be a particularly successful anime.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 am Reply with quote
Wait, what grudge does Japan have with Bee Train? I know what grudge I have with Bee Train (Tsubasa Chronicles), but what could they have done to the Japanese.

Oh who am I kidding....? Like I don't already know.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
I have question about all the people who say countries like Spain and other "lawless" countries don't care: Doesn't the Berne Convention and the WIPO Copyright Treaty top all of that? Last time I checked, no country is exempt from following these no matter what their own law says.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I have question about all the people who say countries like Spain and other "lawless" countries don't care: Doesn't the Berne Convention and the WIPO Copyright Treaty top all of that? Last time I checked, no country is exempt from following these no matter what their own law says.

You are correct. The Berne Convention applies to almost all countries. However, that does not matter. What really matters is if it is enforced or not. In my country, for example, nobody cares about copyright, and I mean NOBODY. My friend is a lawyer, and guess who he gets his anime from? A law is pointless if it is not enforced. It might as well be legal.
Plorkyeran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:58 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Here's another thing to think about. Say you're writing a history paper for school. When you save it to a file, is the name more likely going to be a string of unintelligible hex or is it more likely going to be HistoryPaper? While Funimation can obfuscate page and filenames all they want, at the end of the day, someone on their side is going to have to access it, and it'd be a hell of a lot easier if it's a simple and consistent naming scheme. Granted, there are ways to get slightly around this, but you get the idea.

No one on their end needs to access it besides the flash player, which attributes no meaning to the file name. There's no need for it to be completely meaningless though -- simply appending random characters to the end (as they're doing now) is quite sufficient to stop people from guessing the URL.

Joe Mello wrote:
Uploading at the 11th hour seems like a bad idea because a traffic bottleneck of a big enough magnitude could crash the server, leaving everyone unhappy. Perhaps the best solution is to pass-protect the file/page until showtime, at which point you drop the protection, but I do not know how one implements that.

There are a vast number of trivial ways to stop the file from being downloaded without actually uploading it at the last minute. Two of the most obvious ways:
1) Upload it to a non-public folder in advance, have it automatically copied over to the public folder shortly before it is supposed to be be released.
2) Upload it to a public folder and use the file permissions options that unix has had since the dawn of time (and windows has had for over a decade) to make the individual file not readable. Shortly before release, make it readable.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
*sigh*

FUNi, secure your servers already!
Does anyone know what a secured server is called? Intranet, not internet.
Running a public server has its risks, and it's damn near impossible to protect against every possible mode of attack, especially URL sampling.

Adding a file for streaming isn't as simple as uploading it and creating a link. There are things to consider, such as load handling, which need to be taken into account so that everyone can enjoy a successful stream without complications.

Securing a public server instantly takes away from this enjoyment as security in itself can be problematic.

ANN is only giving ideas to others and are contributing to the problem!
This is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. In both cases, ANN reported the news. Nothing more.
Care to explain how ANN contributed to the first file? After all, it's not like their report came out before it was released.
Think before you post, please.

Why would anyone do this?
Why does it matter, truthfully? It appears many target FUNi rather than the person who did it, so this question seems rather moot.

Now Japan hates us!
Doubtful. Japan has been dealing with this same issue for years. While it's a set back to give people new options, it's not the end of the world.
I just wish they (distributors) wouldn't punish those willing to wait despite the leaks.

FUNi should have changed the filename so it couldn't be found!
Listen up, Mr. No Experience In Web Server Security, it's not that simple. There are programs out there which can bypass default setup by listing content in directories, and regardless what the file name is, it can be found.
As I said, a public server has its risks.
I don't know what FUNi's servers run, but every one has its vulnerabilities.

While I believe these acts are more based on "Stick it to the man!", it's still a shame they've occurred. It's nice to see studios and distributors try something new for fans only to have it ruined by a few.

At any rate, let's just hope these leaks don't prevent this relationship from trying again in the future. Although I could care less about One Piece, I was definitely watching the news to get a reaction from fans about the overall trial of simultaneous release.

Now, we must all wait, again. This sucks, but there's nothing we can do about it. The damage is done, but like anything new, lessons have been learned.

Please be patient while they continue learning. After all, they're spending great expense to give you fans something for $0.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.
Smile
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Put me in the "everyone is at fault" camp. Funi does need to get its security right, but everyone trying to nitpick the "public server" excuse isn't looking at the whole issue. As we all know the episode was not only accessed early but also distributed illegally, which is indisputably immoral and against the law.

I'd also like to repeat my earlier question about whether ANN knows the identity of the responsible party. I asked because I noticed a contrast between the "a group" wording and the description of an "anonymous party" back in the One Piece leak story. It's an honest question made in good faith; I've been reading and enjoying ANN for years. If the answer is no then fine, if the answer is yes then I'd like to see an update about which group it is or an explanation for why it's not reported + some assurance that the people who need to know about it have been told. That last part really should be done, even if there isn't enough solid proof to report on ANN itself.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
I do hope Aniplex doesn't get mad and pull the plug on FMA: Brotherhood. I really enjoy it, and I hope this doesn't damage Funi's reputation with them. They try to do something nice for the fans and a "fan" gives them the finger.
Ren Hanxue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

DmonHiro wrote:
You are correct. The Berne Convention applies to almost all countries. However, that does not matter. What really matters is if it is enforced or not. In my country, for example, nobody cares about copyright, and I mean NOBODY. My friend is a lawyer, and guess who he gets his anime from? A law is pointless if it is not enforced. It might as well be legal.

you are both extremely wrong and have no idea how international law works

The Berne convention is not a law. In general, there is no such thing as international law. There are no courts to enforce it and no way to force a country to do something. You can attempt to make someone do something through UN sanctions or through unilateral action (lol the US), but there are no laws that govern international relationships. They're all based on voluntary cooperation between countries.

Do note that some countries may legislate that some treaties automatically become national laws, but I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

As for the Berne convention, it is basically a nice agreement where the signatory country promises nicely to implement certain measures in its own national laws. How they are implemented is up to the signatory country and the convention itself isn't really all that detailed. Additionally, there are no consequences for signing the agreement and then failing to implement legislation that is compliant with the convention; for example, the United Kingdom signed the agreement in the late 1800's but didn't actually implement a large part of it until the 1980's. It's perfectly okay for countries to make laws that say that's it okay to share copyrighted material for personal use. The US might not like it and make a lot of noise in the WTO and do its usual hurfing and blurfing, but it is up to the country in question if they want to pay attention to that or not.

In the WIPO treaty case you can (AFAIK) actually get hit with WTO sanctions if you fail to implement it, at least in theory, but on the other hand it doesn't really add anything about file sharing for personal use that wasn't there in the Berne convention either.

Last edited by Ren Hanxue on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:

Wow, I wouldn't be surprised if more people ended up watching it illegally before airing than actually watched it on Japanese television.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah... the "sticking it to the man" mentality has really gotten out of hand over the past years since its no long sticking it to the government but sticking to private businesses that were created from fans or the companies you loved who created the products... way to go rippers... It's like some of you won't be statisfied until you actually get rid of the media your ripping and getting your e-penises off on. Like chopping off you own head type of deal.

Its great that these people don't care about all the damage they are doing to this concept of Free Service the US market is trying to push to help keep the industry alive.... real great... Try to mess with a company charging you no money to give you what you've been complaining about for years... smart. Obviously all that blood is flow in the wrong direction.

And yeah at this point, a new system method is most likely needed now that the last fixes didn't work either. Until Funimation can get a more adequent server and new protection system I would keep the streams on 3rd party servers like Youtube and that other one I can't remember right now.... Hulu? Hula? And maybe even considering partnering up with Crunchyroll. Any more of these incidents will only hurt Funimation no matter how much of a victim they are at this point.

Hang in there Funimation. You know the internet is already a venomous place now a days. At this point its best to ignore the demands for speed and focus on service and protecting the product. Speed can come later once you got things secured and know which way to run. And you guys in charge of contracts and talking with Japanese studios and what not? We pray you keep up the great work while this s**t storm gets cleared up.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
Ren Hanxue wrote:

By analogy, one might compare this security issue with buildings, which typically have a number of doors. A building might have a policy that the public may only enter via the main front door, and only during normal working hours. People employed in the building and in making deliveries to it might use other doors as appropriate. Such a policy would be enforced by a combination of security personnel and mechanical devices such as locks and pass-cards. One would not enforce this policy by hiding some of the building entrances, nor by requesting legislation requiring the use of the front door and forbidding anyone to reveal the fact that there are other doors to the building.

Note 1: Even if it comes from the W3C, I absolutely hate physical -> IT analogies, they're never accurate.

Note 2: In your analogy, you forgot that there us legislation in place to keep people from using the other doors. If all the non-front doors, real and fake alike, had signs that said "Private Property, Keep out. Trespassers will be prosecuted," the building owners could indeed charge people who entered through those doors, even if they were unlocked, with trespassing.

There's another real - IT misnomer that is often used. Unauthorized access to computer systems and networks is often referred to as "trespassing" even when said networks are easily accessible (relatively speaking) from the public Internet.

Note 3: Security through obfuscation. In the last couple years a lot of people have taken the criticism limitations of security through obfuscation to mean that it is not a legitimate security measure. That's bull. It is a very real and effective part of many security plans. Unfortunately it is only a part, and a supporting part at that. Obfuscation should never be the entire or primary method of security.

Note 4: Now for the famous "was there a hack" issue. There was. It might be one of the simplest hacks in history, but randomly guessing and/or deducing the file names based on patterns, and then testing them is hacking. It's no different from randomly guessing and trying passwords.

Will it stand up in a court of law ? On it's own, probably not (pure speculation on my part), very simple hacking for curiosity purposes is rarely or never successfully convicted. But when malicious and illegal intent (i.e: copyright infringement) is taken into consideration, you have ground to prosecute the perpetrators not only for the copyright infringement, but also the hack.

Final Note: Funimation has no one to blame but themselves here. I'm pretty sure they know that. They're security, was almost non-existent. That said, I'm certain they will do everything in their power to discover and prosecute whoever was responsible. Since the hack was so simple, I'm betting (speculation on my part) the perpetrator(s) have no clue how to properly cover their tracks on the Internet. And you know what, I hope Funimation catches and prosecutes the people involved. I also hope that they learn their lesson and completely abandon the progressive download streaming model and move to streaming servers with restricted file access (preferably on a completely separate server) and RTMPe, and various other standard security procedures.

-t

Amused by the fact that I gave away all my CERT and CISSP books only last month.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
Funimation cannot blame anyone but themselves and they deserve every bit of it. The fact is that this has multiple times and they should have fixed these security gaps in their servers the first time it happened.

Serves them right.

Also, why did they have it on the public servers in the first place? They should have realized someone would try to hack the servers again. It should have been on a disconnected server and not accessible under any means until the day they were set to debut the episode.

I guess some never learn.

Oh, when I have exclusive content for my site that I'm not ready to unveil, I keep that content in a separate folder, and hidden, so nobody can discover the file name or where it's hidden at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 15