• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - All E3, All The Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It's "no subscription price yet" as in they haven't decided how much they're going to charge. FFXI has been a self sustaining cash for some time now (meaning they're making more than they're spending on it), they aren't going to let that go and make FFXIV free.

Emerje

A boy can dream, right? Besides, I'm sure some private server (is that what they're called?) will come up sooner or later, and that way I can just buy the game and not deal with the subscription fee. Granted that's probably not the most legal thing to do...
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
-The game is not a PS3 exclusive, they are working on getting it on other consoles (particularly working with Microsoft)

I watched the announcement again, and Tretton does say the PS3 is the only console it will be available on when it launches in 2010.

I guess the subtleties were lost amongst everybody WTFing.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
hypersoda wrote:
FINALLY....I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR SIX YEARS FOR THE NEW GOLDEN SUN!

Sorry about the caps, trying to put emphasis on it. Honestly I saw the trailer, and the 3D sprites look pretty good. The summons look very nice as well (though not exactly as detailed as the first game, they're still extremely nice to look at). The 3D world so far also looks rather nice.

It has been a long time since I heard any news of Golden Sun. I really want to enjoy this game, because its been half a decade since I've played any new Golden Sun game.

But I'll need to do much more serious reserach before I seriously contemplete purchasing this game.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
A boy can dream, right? Besides, I'm sure some private server (is that what they're called?) will come up sooner or later, and that way I can just buy the game and not deal with the subscription fee. Granted that's probably not the most legal thing to do...

Doubtful, it hasn't happened with FFXI yet, though there is a group working on it, but they've been working on it for years and they're years away from finishing. Much of the mechanics of the game take place on the server, not on the home console or PC. Characters are saved directly to the server, as are items, macros, game settings, and even mob and NPC movements and AI. Until people figure out how to replicate those or S-E gives it to them (never going to happen) private servers will never happen for FFXI or FFXIV.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Not like it's bad to pay a monthly fee. Frankly I'm just surprised there are still people turned off by monthly fee MMOs, since it has been the norm for the past 10 years of MMOs, with very exceptions(Guild Wars mostly).

The fact that FFXIV will have all the same races but in a different world is exciting to me. Vana'diel was very nice(I'll miss the Valkurm Dunes and Ronfaure and Windurst and such), but a new world means completely new plots. I can't wait to hear more info!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I may have played a few Ragnarok Online private servers, but they were full of bugs and they kept asking people for donations because maintenance of the server was EXPENSIVE.

I can't imagine a game the size of FFXI on a private server working too well, nor for that matter FFXIV, which will be bigger. It'd be cheaper just to keep with the 12 dollar a month subscription fee.

I'm really happy Square Enix will continue with the international servers. I've heard a lot of the Japanese players have been complaining about sharing with everyone else, but I have fun playing with people from all over the world and I don't find the in-game translation/dictionary too hard to work.

And while on the language packs, a number of Spanish players I was partying during the press conference were bemoaning the "No to plans on a Spanish release". I'd think there was support enough for it, but apparently SE thinks not. Found their comment on it being hard to find good Spanish translators in Japan amusing though. I'm sure they're being flooded with volunteers now.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
DFBTG wrote:

Doubtful, it hasn't happened with FFXI yet, though there is a group working on it, but they've been working on it for years and they're years away from finishing. Much of the mechanics of the game take place on the server, not on the home console or PC. Characters are saved directly to the server, as are items, macros, game settings, and even mob and NPC movements and AI. Until people figure out how to replicate those or S-E gives it to them (never going to happen) private servers will never happen for FFXI or FFXIV.

Emerje

Really? Oh well, suppose it saves me the money of paying for the game in the first place. Not a terrible loss anyway, MMOs aren't exactly high on my 'thing' list. Heck, they're barely higher than shooters, which rest right above sports games...at the very bottom.
Liclac Atra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 am Reply with quote
I'm excited about FFXIII/FFXIV (I don't think there have been any good FF games since 9 but I do still play XI, Ninja/Monk <3). Also, I'm rather excited about the Golden Sun game, I play the first two all the time and still enjoy them even if there is little to no character development (I also liked the chibi looking characters in FF4 Embarassed ).
I want the Claymore game to be released here even though I doubt it will happen T.T, would be nice if Adult Swim picked Claymore up though, I could actually see that happening even if it would be a little on the mature side.

Also, no love for the No More Heroes 2 publishing announcement?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
poor NMH2 got bumped from Ubisoft's presser just because James Cameron wanted to go on, and on, and on about his beloved Avatar. Wants more NMH!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hey you FFXI players on ANN! What servers do you play on?

Myself: Ragnarok, usually as a WHM/BLM (had to restart my character, I'm back to n00b status Anime hyper) If any of us are on the same server, I'd love to party sometime. I go by the name Einmyria. I like beating up the gobs with my lil white mage hammer.

I really hope when they release the new game they'll offer some sort of discount duo since I'll probably still play XI, but I can't imagine paying full price for both to play both. If it's 12 bucks for each, that's 24 bucks a month... bleah. Don't wanna pay THAT much a month.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks the PSP Go looks like you could drop it and break it?
kameoosama

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought the first Golgo 13 was awesome? I mean, I thought the character was awesome, it was like the first sex in a video game that wasn't a strictly adult title in some mail-order catalog, and despite the buttons being reversed it was pretty playable as long as you had the manual with the maps of all the first person segments. I got really good at jump kicking the little laser turret things to death.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4