• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Just what I expect from Zetsubou Sensei!!! Now everyone if you don't have this Manga go buy it!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Casey wrote:
Good thing Del Rey provides a comprehensive compendium of endnotes, twelve pages long, or the majority of readers would be totally lost almost immediately upon starting volume one. Even with the annotation, though, it's hard to judge what the mileage of various readers will be; it isn't funny if you have to explain the joke in the first place, after all.
Noobs gotta learn eventually.No better series to start with,then they can laugh like the rest of us did.Then the next time they come to a pitiful cultural roadblock Shocked they can resort back to Zetsubou. Laughing

Great review Casey,I love Sayonara Zetsubou sensei.
Jure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Just what I expect from Zetsubou Sensei!!! Now everyone if you don't have this Manga go buy it!!!
Already did. Now waiting for volume 2 to get shipped where I live. I laughed like mad while reading the first volume.

Great review.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:17 am Reply with quote
I disagree with Casey saying that the translation should be more 'localised'...that would ruin the whole thing. I'm always glad that DelRey opts to explain things rather then go "oh we'll just change it to something the average american would understand and not the person reading manga who actually may be interested in learning about japanese culture" like certain other major manga translating companies are wont to do.

Otherwise, the thing that irked me about DelRey's release, and this is just the fantard in me speaking, was changing "Zetsuboushita" to 'There is no hope'. "I'm in Despair!" is just a thousand times better.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
I agree that it's a great series, but A for art? Really?
I mean, it's functional but that's about it.

championferret wrote:
Otherwise, the thing that irked me about DelRey's release, and this is just the fantard in me speaking, was changing "Zetsuboushita" to 'There is no hope'. "I'm in Despair!" is just a thousand times better.

Then you'll be happy to know that they started using 'I'm in despair!' in vol. 2.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote
Hear, hear! I missed out on the initial craze over the anime, but decided to pick up the first two volumes at Waldenbooks last weekend. I absolutely loved it! Even the tagline had me giggling: "The power of negative thinking." Haha!
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Added it to my Amazon cart already. Just waiting for payday at this point. Very Happy
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Added it to my Amazon cart already. Just waiting for payday at this point. Very Happy

I went the full hog and clicked the order button.
The overdraft is there to save me from the pleasure of having to wait for payday. Wink
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
My biggest problem with Del Ray's release is that there weren't any explanations of the puns on everyone's names. Seeing as this is rather a large running joke in the series I hope they'll find time to point some of them out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
I had a chance to check out some episodes of the show. And I have to say I love it. It's been awhile since the days of 'Azumanga Daioh' or 'Lucky Star' or even 'Haruhi'. I love these types of comedies. I finally decided to read the first two books and I was surprised how much was kept intact. But not so much that but some of the humor had me wondering aside from being in stitches. But I will say, it's not an easy read. As it has so much references and sometimes it can feel cluttered. A lot of scenes can interlock with others where you don't know which way to start. But again you can help but look at every little detail.

It's definitely the result of what happens when you have the "mating" of mainstream and alternative with addiction to caffeine, cigarettes and alcohol, with no sleep and a dose of paranoia.

I love. I really hope that the series gets picked up and ported over. I really want to enjoy the rest of the series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
I picked this up because the art style made me curious. I certainly did enjoy every reference they made. I was familiar with nearly all of them.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I just bought volume 1 last weekend, just finished reading it yesterday

I loved it, Del Ray does a wonderful job as always with the translation guide in the back. I do have to say it was a big text filled and hard to read at some points. I do how ever like all the jokes (most of which I got) and the art is in a style that is quite interesting and stands out from most manga.

I have a few problems with the translate
1. They changed Cherry Superior to something else
2. As much as I love things staying as good as the Japanese copy, a little changing of things wouldn't hurt, I'm all for keeping it the same, but I don't like reading a 12 page translate guide on jokes

I'm going to pick up volume 2 as soon as I have money
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I approve of this review Razz
i do prefer the anime series over the manga though
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be passing up this one. I don't do "stilted and clunky". I will curse Dark Horse to my grave for what they did to Trigun.

Seriously, man. You can localize a story so it reads like a native English speaker wrote it in the first place and still be true to the original. Not doing so is not a matter of "trying to be faithful"; it is a failure of imagination, pure and simple.

For one thing, I'll be you that the monkey they had doing this translation never noticed that "Kafuka Fura" is a pun on "Franz Kafka"...
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I disagree with Casey saying that the translation should be more 'localised'...that would ruin the whole thing. I'm always glad that DelRey opts to explain things rather then go "oh we'll just change it to something the average american would understand and not the person reading manga who actually may be interested in learning about japanese culture" like certain other major manga translating companies are wont to do.

That's the BIG problem with many Japanophiles, they treat Japanese culture as something sacred for them. IMO they should do a better adaptation than simply leaving lots of stuff unstranslated just to satisfy a bunch of Weeabos.

In other words, if you wanna learn about Japanese culture (or any other one) Go to a Japanese language learning school or go to Japan instead of reading manga, that´s all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2