• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-06-12]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote
I liked the flakes for this week. Granted I do enjoy your more relaxed and less affected by spiteful writers Brian, you are responsible for the lack of real hatemail. But you can't ever get rid of the flake of the week entirely, just would be a bad call.

I think I am going to have to send in an actual email for the answerfan thing, I'd love to give my thoughts on that... Been wanting to convey for a while now how music is appreciated by me through my confusing and complex thought process...

When I say that, I am not speaking highly of myself, I genuinely come off confusing to most when I try to explain my appreciation of anime openings and japanese music in general.
Isikari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hey, I'm a flake of the week! Cool answerman as always, and if you do end up publishing that book in 2039 I'll make sure to check it out at Barnes & Androids.
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
Have to agree on what Ashkahchan said about simulcasting from ep100-. Its great if your potential viewer is someone who's already fansub savvy and up-to-date but absolutely no help to any newcomers. Especially if there are no back episodes, or the upload rate for those is very slow.
With regards to fansub groups, people tend to be more flexible with anime that are less based on japanese culture like Hitman Reborn but with anime like Gintama people tend to have more issues about the 'authenticity' vs 'practicality' argument.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
"I've never been a big supporter of fansubs (although a lot of my friends are), and have been hearing a lot lately about how fewer and fewer groups are subbing animes, because companies like FUNimation are streaming them on their sites for free."

Boy, have YOU heard wrong. Name on show that Funi is streaming that isn't fansubed.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 am Reply with quote
I post on IMDb a lot, and most people even there are oblivious to it, but the "b" is lower case. "IMDB" is incorrect. A pointless quibble, I know, but one that drives me up a tree.
dizzykuma

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
LOL That rabbit video at the end! Shocked Laughing Good column.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
These people tend to seek out writers they've either worked well with in the past - like the prolific ones, such as Sadayuki Murai or Keiko Nobumoto - or writers they admire from live-action work or novels.

I had a hard time recognizing who they were and had to click on the link in order to find out. Turned out they are screenwriters of Cowboy Bebop, something I've never seen yet. Anime smile + sweatdrop To me, names like Jukki Hanada and Michiko Yokote are much more familiar.

As for the question of being a writer for anime scripts: the majority of screenwriters (anime or not) came from Writers Guild of Japan, and they even have their own school to educate writers of the future.

Last edited by dormcat on Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:14 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"I've never been a big supporter of fansubs (although a lot of my friends are), and have been hearing a lot lately about how fewer and fewer groups are subbing animes, because companies like FUNimation are streaming them on their sites for free."

Boy, have YOU heard wrong. Name on show that Funi is streaming that isn't fansubbed.
That person didn't say "none," they said "fewer." For instance, I'm only seeing 3 releases of FMA:Brotherhood that are up-to-date with the current episodes, and only 1 of those releases is getting any significant number of downloads. (From what I can see, at least) Even that group is getting lower DL numbers than I'd expect for a mega-popular series; less than 100,000, and they easily pulled more than that for Geass R2 against stiff competition. All of the other 10 or so groups that started subbing it have dropped or stalled. IIRC there were other groups that scrapped their subbing plans before releasing a single ep, after Funi's announcement. So that could be called progress.

Going after the "I don't care about the quality, I just want to see it for cheap" crowd with streaming is all well and good, but there needs to be more Blu-Ray releases to court the high-end collectors. Back in 2001 or so, R1 DVDs represented a noticeable quality upgrade over downloaded fansubs, which tended to run in the neighborhood of 512x384. But since mid-2006 when the first HDTV/1280x720 releases came out, DVDs have been a step down in the eyes of many. Blu-Ray is a chance (and one that Funimation's been taking) for legitimate releases to equal or surpass illegitimate ones again. At least in terms of raw quality, subtitling quibbles aside.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
My main problem with streaming is that it ties me to sitting on a small chair in front of my computer to watch stuff when I'd far rather lounge cosily in front of my TV.

Streaming should be used to advertise the DVD/BluRay releases.
"Like this? Want to watch it again? Want to keep a much better quality copy you can watch any time? Buy the DVD! Buy the BluRay release for high definition!"
Then put out a subbed copy as soon as possible.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
My main problem with streaming is that it ties me to sitting on a small chair in front of my computer to watch stuff when I'd far rather lounge cosily in front of my TV.

With a little time, small investment, and WiFi (not required, but makes it much easier), you can accomplish the task of watching the internet while lounging.

Hit the interwebs to see just how easy it is to convert an old PC/laptop into a video server.

Enjoy!

On topic now:
*takes the Flake of the Week bold banner and dances around the Talkback thread with it.

La la la la la.

I wonder if anime will even be discussed in the future.

I can picture many of us sitting in our rocking chairs on the porch reminiscing about things we grew up with like television, TV shows on channels, and fan sub flame wars while drinking lemonade.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
What's up with all the haters in this world.... I don't know why they would even send hate letters, that's just being a a**hole.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
I got to meet Simon Richmond recently and acquire a copy of his book, The Rough Guide to Anime. Much like the other "rough guide" books it is very well done. Other than maybe one or two debatable titles, pretty much every title spoken about at length is worth seeing and nothing from my initial skimming jumped out to me as "wrong." It also isn't terribly centered in one particular time frame. In fact it's the most contemporary printed book on anime I've read in some time, since it actually acknowledges that BitTorrent and piracy exist! I should try and write up a full piece on this thing.

Luke wrote:
Lets not forget that the fansubbers are professionals themselves...

Actually, no. Let's forget. It'll just make things easier for everyone. I know you're using the term "professional" to mean "they're good at what they do," but to me and probably most people, I think it's more productive to use the term "professional" in this sense to denote "someone who gets paid for what they do." By contrast, a "fansubber" is someone who does not get paid for what they do. This marks the difference between "fan" and "pro." Let's keep quality of output a separate matter.

Edited to fix that quote tag.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Strangely enough I had a Nabokov's Lolita book cover on my blog put this week, since I was talking about that topic...
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:

Have a laptop? (You should, you'll thank yourself later for it many times.) I just bought a DVI-to-HDMI cable for mine, then strung it and an audio cable over to the TV (since the signal originating as DVI does not contain sound, unlike a straight HDMI signal would), and voila! I can watch anything on the TV that would be on my screen. Stuff looks surprisingly good from the couch, even SD video.

My RAID full of video in the office is shared by the tower in there, and since I have a wireless network, I can pull that up on the laptop in the living room and stick it up on the TV too if I wish. Aren't I special?

P.S.: Brian, I LOLed at your comment on the artifacty Answerfans question text, at least you acknowledge that it looks bad (the standard header part of it, of course; the type on the actual question from week to week is fine).

P.P.S.: Awesome bunny video.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Avoid getting things self-published if you can, unless you're the next Nabokov.

There's a couple problems with this statement. For one thing, you can't "get" something "self"-published. You are publishing it yourself. "Get" implies that someone else is involved in the process.

Secondly, there are some works, such as poetry, memoirs and technical books, which one might have to self-publish because there just aren't any publishers willing to handle those works. Ideally, one would want to find a publisher for a work but it's not always possible and can be difficult.

And with the Internet as a distribution system it's not as bad a choice as it once was. But just remember, if you self-publish you also need to self-market and this is where a lot of self-publishers fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3