• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 18-Meter Life-Size Gundam's Videos, Night Shots Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IrrelevantAlex

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
We're one step closer to Valkyries.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
now they got some this to fight Godzilla Laughing
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Am the only one who thinks this is a total waste of money? I understand Gundam is a big deal, but does it really need to be that big and light up?

Something just came to me. Could you imagine the Statue of Liberty and this thing going at it in the middle of Tokyo or New York? That'd make a great movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Short of this thing actually functioning in a military capacity, this is my dream come true. 1:1 scale, high attention to detail. Bravo

I'd take this over a lame Valkyrie any day.
SSJERION

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
So they are going to take it apart after the two months or what. Why would they do that?
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:09 pm Reply with quote
SSJERION wrote:
So they are going to take it apart after the two months or what. Why would they do that?

Space usage and maintenance cost. Space is premium in Japan, so people need space for other events. Like article said, it's made of fiber glass and steel. Eventually paints will peel, fiberglass will crack, and steel will rust.
bebophitchhiker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Now if they would only put up a life-sized EVA-01. Laughing I think it looks pretty good. I just might be showing my geekhood, but oh well.
tsukikage

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
For those worried about the cost of building this thing, I have a pretty strong hunch they'll be auctioning it at the end of the two months, and SOME wealthy otaku is going to pay quite a bit for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coldspider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

Something just came to me. Could you imagine the Statue of Liberty and this thing going at it in the middle of Tokyo or New York? That'd make a great movie.

*ahem* Ghostbusters 2 *ahem*

Quote:
18-Meter Life-Size Gundam's Videos, Night Shots Posted
posted on 2009-06-13 17:17 EDT

Statue to be officially on display for two months starting on July 11

Not-So-Daily Links of the Day: Visitors have posted multiple videos of the 18-meter-tall (59-foot-tall), "life-size" statue of the Gundam anime robot that is being completed at Tokyo's artificial Odaiba island. In addition, the Pink Tentacle blog has posted photographs of how the statue looks at night with many of its 50 lights on and its head unit in motion. The statue marks the 30th anniversary of the first anime series in the Mobile Suit Gundam space war anime franchise.

The statue will be officially on display for two months starting on July 11. It is built with fiberglass-reinforced plastic over a steel frame so it can be disassembled later. In addition to the 50 lights and moving head unit, the statue will feature mist-emitting devices on 14 points on the body. - ANN

NO DISASSEMBLE! NO DISASSEMBLE!

lol

But anyway,like many have said around the net already,they should leave the Gundam intact to scare off any alien invaders passing by Earth. *nods*
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome and something only the Japanese would do.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I almost want to fly to Japan just so I can take a photoset of my ultra-realistic 1/6 scale Obama doll with the 1/1 scale Gundam in the backdrop.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
no words can describe the awesomeness of this, if they do auction off the pieces after it's disassembled, that's one lucky/wealthy otaku whoever wins. girls would laugh at me when i told them i wanted to be a gundam pilot, now there's hope for an operational gundam in my lifetime. guess i should quit smoking...or get cryogenically frozen.
RedHotFunk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
Now where's my MSN-04 Sazabi or MS-06 Zaku II...

or how bout an MS-18e Kampfer =D

>_>

<_<
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Am the only one who thinks this is a total waste of money? I understand Gundam is a big deal, but does it really need to be that big and light up?

You're absolutely RIGHT!! For this amount of money, it should be able to walk and KILL things!! Hee hee hee!! Still.... It can't just walk everywhere... It'll need something to... "Carry" it... Places... Quick! Someone call Area 51! We'll need an Anti-Gravity Engine so we can build a 1:1 scale White Base! With a real working Mega Particle Cannon!! Anime hyper

Seriously, though. Something this awesome can NOT be a waste of money! They should build an even BIGGER one next! Let's see... What's bigger than a Gundam...? Hmmmmmmmm... How about Dancougar? That's pretty big, right? Anime hyper
Frozen Slime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if I see a certain Middle Eastern kid or some green-haired androgynous guy climbing up that thing and trying to steal it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3